Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why Are We So Quick to Pop Pills?

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM
  • 102 Replies
1 mom liked this

Why are so many so quick to take drugs instead of trying to fix things more naturally?

So many drugs out there have horrible side effects but yet we take them instead of trying to see if we can fix the problem naturally first (don't get me wrong I know some people need to take drugs).

My MIL has high blood pressure, her Dr told her to change her diet, exercise & lose some weight (she is over weight) she did nothing bc she could take a pill to control her BP.

My mother was borederline diabetic, she did nothing to change that.  She didn't lose weight or even try to & she has high BP as well.

I have problems w/my feet & shoulders, when I moved my new Dr refused physical therapy (which I was going through back home) and gave me Percocet & Flexiril. Seriously? My issue can be helped more naturally w/therapy.

All these drugs can & have caused other issues in many other people.

Those are just a few examples.  It just seems I am seeing a trend here.  Someone has a problem & they pop some pills when other things could have been tried first.  Why?  Do people not care about what they put into their bodies?  Do people really trust pharmaceutical companies & the Drs completely?

And no I am not talking about people that absolutely need to take something or have tried everything & in the end they still need some help from a man made drug.

I just don't get why Drs are now pushing drug after drug after drug & people are ok just popping so many pills all the time.

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eesmommy
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Thus the reason I treat my fybromialgia with Ribose and diet and relaxation instead of drugs.... I dont get it either:/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM

My DH was on 3 different drugs for his epilepsy and a back injury. He seizures were not well controlled and his sciatic problem was getting worse. 

He started doing Acupuncture and he is down to 1 anti seizure med, his seizures are well controlled and his sciatic joint rarely flares!

rach.jaco
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM
I am on Prozac and Xanax. I suffer from untreated PPD, severe anxiety that I've had since I was a child, and mild obsessive compulsive diorder. Besisdes being medicated I attend therapy every other week, particpate is self help activities, and read self help books. I will eventually be weaned off of the meds but for right now it's what I need to be stable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:06 PM

That is awesome!

I did acupuncture once & it helped my sinuses & anxiety.  I plan to go back for my anxiety.  My friend is going to one to help her quit smoking.

Her Dr tried giving her that Chantix (sp) & the side effects are horrid, she laughed at him basically & refused it.

Quoting SuperPickle:

My DH was on 3 different drugs for his epilepsy and a back injury. He seizures were not well controlled and his sciatic problem was getting worse. 

He started doing Acupuncture and he is down to 1 anti seizure med, his seizures are well controlled and his sciatic joint rarely flares!

mom2gr8tgirls
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Both my mother and sister are pill poppers, I'm so terrified to turn out like them (seriously addicted to pain killers), that I won't even take advil for a headache. I just suffer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Again, I wrote "I am not talking about the people that need them."  I get some need the drugs, you are also doing things to not completely rely on them, I know some that will always have to be on anxiety depressant meds, they tried other things first.  So again like I said, I know some need them & some will still need them after trying other things.

Though honestly some that I know didn't give other ways much of a chance, going more naturally can take more time & be very frustrating, I know that all to well.

Quoting rach.jaco:

I am on Prozac and Xanax. I suffer from untreated PPD, severe anxiety that I've had since I was a child, and mild obsessive compulsive diorder. Besisdes being medicated I attend therapy every other week, particpate is self help activities, and read self help books. I will eventually be weaned off of the meds but for right now it's what I need to be stable.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM
4 moms liked this

Because we live in a "drive-Thru" society and everyone is looking for a quick, easy fix.

This is why weight loss surgery is so common.

Jay9xoxo
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:11 PM
I don't understand it either. Back in the old days there were no pills to pop, so what did People do? Other natural remedies.

My mom has high blood pressure and she has terrible legs and ankles. She is overweight and was told and I think it's obvious that if she changed her diet and lost some weight, her health would improve. But she chooses to take at least 4 different pills, I don't understand it.

My father on the other hand has a really bad neck from being a construction worker for 25+ years. They prescribed pain killers to him but he refuses to get them. He exercises and stretches regularly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM

That's the thing though, you don't have to suffer.

There are so many natural herbs, remedies for things, including headaches.  Chammomile, Valerian can be used for headaches, among other things.

Ulcers are another one, many either use the meds that can do so much other damage or undergo surgery but there are things out there that may help first.

Like Chammomile tea and other things.

My friend had horrible hemmoroids &  her Dr went a natural route when other things weren't working.  Hemmoroids are gone now.

You don't have to suffer hun,  swear!

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

Both my mother and sister are pill poppers, I'm so terrified to turn out like them (seriously addicted to pain killers), that I won't even take advil for a headache. I just suffer.

metalhealthmom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM
The only meds I take are for anxiety and my mood stabilizers. I need those. Otherwise, I don't really take much. Sometimes an antibiotic if I really need it but if the doctor says it's only optional I don't. I don't take many over the counter mess, either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)