Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why Are We So Quick to Pop Pills?

Posted by   + Show Post

Why are so many so quick to take drugs instead of trying to fix things more naturally?

So many drugs out there have horrible side effects but yet we take them instead of trying to see if we can fix the problem naturally first (don't get me wrong I know some people need to take drugs).

My MIL has high blood pressure, her Dr told her to change her diet, exercise & lose some weight (she is over weight) she did nothing bc she could take a pill to control her BP.

My mother was borederline diabetic, she did nothing to change that.  She didn't lose weight or even try to & she has high BP as well.

I have problems w/my feet & shoulders, when I moved my new Dr refused physical therapy (which I was going through back home) and gave me Percocet & Flexiril. Seriously? My issue can be helped more naturally w/therapy.

All these drugs can & have caused other issues in many other people.

Those are just a few examples.  It just seems I am seeing a trend here.  Someone has a problem & they pop some pills when other things could have been tried first.  Why?  Do people not care about what they put into their bodies?  Do people really trust pharmaceutical companies & the Drs completely?

And no I am not talking about people that absolutely need to take something or have tried everything & in the end they still need some help from a man made drug.

I just don't get why Drs are now pushing drug after drug after drug & people are ok just popping so many pills all the time.

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Replies (61-70):
CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Look up Apple Cider Vinegar, it has a lot of uses as well.

Supposedly helps w/blood pressure, weight loss, digestive issues, yeast infections, sinus issues, etc.

Quoting MommyLehr:

Seems chammomile tea is a remedy for a lot of things! Lol good thing I drink so much of it...

Quoting CABZS:

That's the thing though, you don't have to suffer.

There are so many natural herbs, remedies for things, including headaches.  Chammomile, Valerian can be used for headaches, among other things.

Ulcers are another one, many either use the meds that can do so much other damage or undergo surgery but there are things out there that may help first.

Like Chammomile tea and other things.

My friend had horrible hemmoroids &  her Dr went a natural route when other things weren't working.  Hemmoroids are gone now.

You don't have to suffer hun,  swear!

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

Both my mother and sister are pill poppers, I'm so terrified to turn out like them (seriously addicted to pain killers), that I won't even take advil for a headache. I just suffer.

CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Well I worry bc I firmly believe that many things are at a high & increasing bc so many take all these man made drugs that Drs and pharm companies push on us.

And that affects us all bc down the road some how we will be affected by these horrible side effects, whether it be ourselves or someone we love.

Quoting SerpentsKiss:

I worry about myself and the people in my own life. I don't feel the need to worry about what kind of meds every single person in the world is taking.

Quoting CABZS:

Always at least one of the responses.

I care bc I care about all people & we should all be worried what the pharm companies are putting out there & what drs are forcing on us bc the pharm companies are lining pockets of everyone.

If you don't care about others why bother even posting a response.

Quoting SerpentsKiss:

Why does it matter so much to you what others do? If you don't like pills, don't take them.

tairakittie
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Yey for you!! :D I have horrible anxiety, its taken me 3 years to get to where I am now, but it took diet change (eating mostly organic, raw, all natural, etc), exercise and yoga. Even after losing all the baby weight, I am still afraid (anxious) to even leave my house to go to the store, but im getting better! For people with true, extreme anxiety, it will take a long time and lots of tries.

I went out of my way to take my daughter to a birthday party thrown by a girl I barely knew from highschool, who I hadnt seen since high school (9 years this may)... I had butterflies the whole drive there, but I took deep breaths and just kept a calm head and telling myself it would be okay. Part of me want to freak out and go home, but I *have* to get over my fears, people being one of them, so I did. I also went kayaking this past weekend in the river, I have a huge fear of open water, so it was a huge step for me. Cranking up the music in the car and singing and dancing sounds like a great step in the right direction. :)
Quoting CABZS:

Oh hun, I have been there trust me.

I was put on Xanax (I call this the devil drug), Zoloft (yup hated it too) and Buspar (that made me more nervous I swear).

I have changed my diet, the meat I buy is hormone & antibiotic free.  I try to buy more natural things for food & snacks.  It is hard.  I still splurge once in awhile on junk though:)

Yoga, meditation is very helpful.

Massages.

Accupuncture as well.

Get fresh air, it is an absolute must.

I have learned your body has formed a habit, take one or 2 things to change & start.  Remember it won't happen over night & it will be hard.  It also takes about 30 days to change a habit.

One of the main reason why women fail at overcoming anxiety is 1. we try to change all at once, so just one or 2 at a time. 2. we expect change to happen right away, don't.  It takes about 30 days & even then it can be hard.

Chammomile & Valerian root are going for anxiety.

My Dr also told me about "Same" said (sammy) you can get it at Walgreens.  I haven't tried it yet bc well I just haven't wanted to yet.

Exercise (something I hadn't done in a long time).  Sounds simple but it is true, exercise increases your happy hormones (endorphins).

Going naturally isn't going to bring relief right away believe me.  I have made posts just pissed off bc I expected it to happen already, but I am better.

I can not remember the last time I cranked up the music in the car & jammed out, guess what I did yesterday?  I cranked up the music and jammed and it felt so good:)  I was so proud of myself, such a little thing for man but huge for me!

Oh and I have learned, force yourself to jam out.  Sing and dance.  When I did that yesterday I couldn't believe how good it felt.

Research online, there are many remedies that are out there that are natural & won't interact w/other drugs.   They are already mixed for you.  I haven't done that bc I just use my chammomile & valerian root tea.

I drink about 3 cups of chammomile tea a day.  Valerian at night.

Just if you are on any meds, especially once that cause drowsiness you have to be careful bc chammomile & valerian are relaxants & if you are on a med that causes drowsiness it can make you more drowsy or bring on the drowsiness faster.

The biggest thing is changing habits and those of us that suffer from anxiety our bodies have formed many many habits, we just have to figure out how to over come them.

If you can feel yourself get nervous or jittery acknowledge that and then refocus.  It does get easier.

Quoting Sweetlemonlove:

Hi I suffer from severe anxiety and ocd. I'm at my wits end. I had a very negative experience with zoloft. I don't know what to do and i need treatment. I believe in trying natural healing. Can you give any advice on how to treat my anxiety/ocd? I'm in a prison! I'm miserable. I want to be a better mommy and spend less time worrying and obsessing. It's hell. All advice and help is welcomed. I don't want to pop a pill if I don't have too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM
I will have to look that up for sure. I'm desperate to lose some weight and I'm not about to pop some diet pulls that have crazy side effects and make me feel weird... No thank you.

Quoting CABZS:

Look up Apple Cider Vinegar, it has a lot of uses as well.

Supposedly helps w/blood pressure, weight loss, digestive issues, yeast infections, sinus issues, etc.

Quoting MommyLehr:

Seems chammomile tea is a remedy for a lot of things! Lol good thing I drink so much of it...

Quoting CABZS:

That's the thing though, you don't have to suffer.

There are so many natural herbs, remedies for things, including headaches.  Chammomile, Valerian can be used for headaches, among other things.

Ulcers are another one, many either use the meds that can do so much other damage or undergo surgery but there are things out there that may help first.

Like Chammomile tea and other things.

My friend had horrible hemmoroids &  her Dr went a natural route when other things weren't working.  Hemmoroids are gone now.

You don't have to suffer hun,  swear!

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

Both my mother and sister are pill poppers, I'm so terrified to turn out like them (seriously addicted to pain killers), that I won't even take advil for a headache. I just suffer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Doctors are pushing drugs hard because they get a lot of kickbacks from the drug companies.  Many doctors are absorbing costs that people can't afford to pay, either because their insurance didn't cover it and the patient can't afford it or because they agreed to see an uninsured patient altogether.  People don't realize how much it costs to run any business, much less a medical practice.  Doctors aren't raking in as much as everyone thinks - many have had to put second mortgages on their homes just to keep their staff paid.  And they can certainly take payments but that isn't quite the same as the full amount in one sum from the insurance company.  So they cut corners where they can and do take kickbacks.  I don't condone it, but I have seen it and I understand why they do it.

Patients need to be more proactive about their own health.  I have only had pediatricians push drugs on me but for MY health they have always pushed alternative treatments.  I have a lot of joint issues and exercise and building muscle is best long term.  But every time I walk in a pedi office they write no less than 4 prescriptions.  It's ridiculous.

CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Those are huge steps, way to go!!!

All ways to break the nasty habits our bodies have formed!

I get nervous going out.  Driving around here makes me nervous & many times I feel like I set myself back when I start doing "normal" things.  But I am forcing myself out more and more.

And yes diet change was a big thing, huge.  Oh I must say there are these chips called "Pop Chips" they are wonderful & natural & gluten free (good for my son who has a slight sensitivity to gluten).   They are good, so hope they come w/more flavors soon:)

Quoting tairakittie:

Yey for you!! :D I have horrible anxiety, its taken me 3 years to get to where I am now, but it took diet change (eating mostly organic, raw, all natural, etc), exercise and yoga. Even after losing all the baby weight, I am still afraid (anxious) to even leave my house to go to the store, but im getting better! For people with true, extreme anxiety, it will take a long time and lots of tries.

I went out of my way to take my daughter to a birthday party thrown by a girl I barely knew from highschool, who I hadnt seen since high school (9 years this may)... I had butterflies the whole drive there, but I took deep breaths and just kept a calm head and telling myself it would be okay. Part of me want to freak out and go home, but I *have* to get over my fears, people being one of them, so I did. I also went kayaking this past weekend in the river, I have a huge fear of open water, so it was a huge step for me. Cranking up the music in the car and singing and dancing sounds like a great step in the right direction. :)
Quoting CABZS:

Oh hun, I have been there trust me.

I was put on Xanax (I call this the devil drug), Zoloft (yup hated it too) and Buspar (that made me more nervous I swear).

I have changed my diet, the meat I buy is hormone & antibiotic free.  I try to buy more natural things for food & snacks.  It is hard.  I still splurge once in awhile on junk though:)

Yoga, meditation is very helpful.

Massages.

Accupuncture as well.

Get fresh air, it is an absolute must.

I have learned your body has formed a habit, take one or 2 things to change & start.  Remember it won't happen over night & it will be hard.  It also takes about 30 days to change a habit.

One of the main reason why women fail at overcoming anxiety is 1. we try to change all at once, so just one or 2 at a time. 2. we expect change to happen right away, don't.  It takes about 30 days & even then it can be hard.

Chammomile & Valerian root are going for anxiety.

My Dr also told me about "Same" said (sammy) you can get it at Walgreens.  I haven't tried it yet bc well I just haven't wanted to yet.

Exercise (something I hadn't done in a long time).  Sounds simple but it is true, exercise increases your happy hormones (endorphins).

Going naturally isn't going to bring relief right away believe me.  I have made posts just pissed off bc I expected it to happen already, but I am better.

I can not remember the last time I cranked up the music in the car & jammed out, guess what I did yesterday?  I cranked up the music and jammed and it felt so good:)  I was so proud of myself, such a little thing for man but huge for me!

Oh and I have learned, force yourself to jam out.  Sing and dance.  When I did that yesterday I couldn't believe how good it felt.

Research online, there are many remedies that are out there that are natural & won't interact w/other drugs.   They are already mixed for you.  I haven't done that bc I just use my chammomile & valerian root tea.

I drink about 3 cups of chammomile tea a day.  Valerian at night.

Just if you are on any meds, especially once that cause drowsiness you have to be careful bc chammomile & valerian are relaxants & if you are on a med that causes drowsiness it can make you more drowsy or bring on the drowsiness faster.

The biggest thing is changing habits and those of us that suffer from anxiety our bodies have formed many many habits, we just have to figure out how to over come them.

If you can feel yourself get nervous or jittery acknowledge that and then refocus.  It does get easier.

Quoting Sweetlemonlove:

Hi I suffer from severe anxiety and ocd. I'm at my wits end. I had a very negative experience with zoloft. I don't know what to do and i need treatment. I believe in trying natural healing. Can you give any advice on how to treat my anxiety/ocd? I'm in a prison! I'm miserable. I want to be a better mommy and spend less time worrying and obsessing. It's hell. All advice and help is welcomed. I don't want to pop a pill if I don't have too.

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Great ? 

It's sad that you can get a pill for ANYTHING!!!!

blessed107
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I'm with you on that,I'm pretty healthy...if it came down to me having to take a bunch a pills to survive I would definitely look into other alternatives.

WesAndNicksMom
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Drug companies spend lots of money to make sure people are taking their pills. I think most people want a quick fix for everything instead if taking some initiative. The funny thing us that if they did seek natural remedies (exercise being the biggest one) they would feel a million times better than they do when they're medicated and it would lead to less of a need for medication in the future.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stefvan
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM

It's sad what society has come to - all in the name of money.  People being sick is the biggest business there is. 

I use mostly all natural products.  I drink one product daily that has over 90 vitamins and nutrients in it.  30 of them are anti-inflammatories.  That is what  helped my dd get off of asthma meds and helped me a lot with my back issues.  When my back is really hurting (like today because of the rain), I just drink a 2nd serving.  The products are made using the botanical moringa which is the most nutrient rich botanical out there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)