Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My Poo Free Update 7 weeks poo free! 6/26 VERY PIC HEAVY

Posted by   + Show Post

My post was getting too long, so here it is again in the condensed version.

1. What does "poo free" mean

There are specific chemicals in shampoo that make it a shampoo. People who go poo free simply wash their hair with something other than shampoo.

2. Doesn't your hair get smelly and greasy?

Hair shouldn't be smelly, my hair has never smelled. There is an adjustment period your hair will have to go through. Shampoo strips your hair of natural oils, this causes your scalp to over produce oils and makes you dependant on shampoo. This is why your hair might look flat and nasty after skipping a day. Eventually your scalp will heal and recover, and the oils will stop over producing. This can take 2-8 weeks, so I'm told. 

3.Why are you not brushing or washing your hair?

I'm currently using Baking Soda to wash and Apple Cider Vinegar to rinse my hair. I'm only doing it once every 4 to 5 days and for the first 4 weeks I only did it once per week. BS can bee tough on your scalp and your hair will transition faster if you don't wash it everyday. Also, it's not good for your hair to be washed too often anyway, if you need to wash your hair everyday, it probably has more to do with the shampoo and less to do with your hair. A healthy scalp naturally detoxifies your hair. I've never been a brusher. I have frizzy hair and a brish makes me look like a giant Q-tip. I am however brushing my hair before I get in the shower on days I intend to wash it to help distribute oils.

4. Will this work on all hair types

Yes, shampoo was invented to make money....not because our bodies can't do without it. No one needs shampoo, it's simply a choice.

5. Why are you doing this and are you doing it with your kids too?

I am always looking for ways to limit my chemical intake. I have never had good hair, and I would love to have healthy, shiny hair that takes less work and product to do each day. Yes both my kids are poo free as well and I am only washing their hair about once per week. My DD is transitioning, my son has always been poo free.

Baking Soda Wash

1 Tablespoon of baking soda 1 cup of warm water. Squeeze it in to the roots of your hair and work it around your scalp use the whole bottle.

Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse. 

1 Tablespoon of ACV 1 cup of warm water. Start at the roots, use the whole bottle. Leave ACV in your hair while you wash the rest of your body and do what you need to do in the shower, then rinse. When ACV dries, there is no smell. You can add essential oils to your ACV if you would like.

On days I do not wash it, I rinse it very well with just water.

Some of the benefits I have seen so far

1 my hair no longer falls out, I used to shed constantly.

2 my color has become more vibrant. I got highlight almost a year ago and they look brand new now

3 I no longer need hair product. My hair is easy to style and stays that way all day

4 Less time, I can't tell you how much less time I spend on it

5 natural curls. I haven't seen my natural curls in at least 15 years and they are coming back

Before. This is my poo hair. lol In order to get this flat, dull look I had to wash and condition daily, then blow dry with a flat brush then flat iron.

Week 1 

My hair feels gross when it's wet, but better when it's dry

Week 2

It keeps getting worse. When I rinse my hair it feels like there is criso in it

Week 3

Big change, my hair is really starting to feel better and I'm getting compliments on it daily

Week 4, here is one of the most dramatic differences so far. Look at what my hair looks like when it air dries now compared to before.

Before

Half Way through

7 Weeks Poo Free

And here is my official week 4 pic. 

I plan to get my hair cut before the next update. I'm still transitioning but at no time has my hair been embarrassing or anything. 

Stay tuned for weekly updates and final results!

1Month Update.

So It's been a month. I'm not sure if my hair is still transitioning or not. It's been consistent for about a week now. I think at this point it's safe for me to experiment a little with some different techniques and product. I don't use a hair dryer at all anymore. I can twist my hair in to clips for a super curly look, just let it air dry natural for a light curl, or put rollers in my hair, which is my favorite look at this point. Today I dried it with a hair dryer so I could compare apples to apples so to speak. Pardon the remnants of purple in my hair. I didn't flat iron it, because I know it would take a week for my hair to recover at least...so....

Poo

1 month no poo

6/24 update

It's been 7 weeks now and I finally feel like my hair has finished transitioning. It's no longer stiff at all, it's very bouncy. I still haven't gotten a hair cut :( I really need one. My routine has changed a bit too.

I am washing my hair every 4 days. At this point I am using 2 tablespoons of baking soda, because I felt one just wasn't really enough for my hair texture. I think this is something you have to tweak. I was having a little trouble with the very top of my head getting a little oily because I usually pin my hair up (because I need a haircut so desperately. I've found that brushing my hair when it's dry before I wash it has really helped get it clean. Sometimes I rinse my hair with honey and vinegar now, other times just vinegar. I am no longer using heat on my hair at all. I let it air dry, sometimes I put pin curls in it, or just scrunch it. I am really happy with my hair right now, other than needing a hair cut. The texture and look it great though. I wish I had done a video because if you could see the way my hair moves now, it's just incredible.

So there you go, my transition took about 7 weeks. Never was I unable to leave the house, even on the worst days. I can't ever imagine going back to shampoo again and the money I'm saving isn't half bad either.

Straight hair before and afters

I would like to add that my hair has not been lightened. I have not colored my hair at all during this process. I did have highlights put in to my hair last September, but the remnants are just at the ends at this point. And yes, I have a sun burn. lol

Photobucket   Photobucket

Be kind to me or treat me mean, I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine.

by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Replies (1041-1046):
anonymouss
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Bump
raven1114
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I've started trying this last night. I'm using the baking soda and water mixture to wash with and then I'm using lemon juice and water mixture to condition with. So far it's not oily and feels nice and soft and not as frizzy. I usually have very frizzy hair.

EmeryL
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Great post! I'm starting poo-free for a 2nd time. It's gonna take some experimenting. I'm finding I need to wash 2x a week, but maybe I could go longer. Even when I went back to shampooing, I washed much less often than before. So my hair didn't take so long to adjust this time. It is a bit dry, though. I'm gonna try some Moroccan Oil on it and see if that's too heavy. I'm not giving up this time, though!

Misheldonann
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 4:48 PM
If I don't wash my hair every day, it gets greasy!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LovelyMommy24
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I love this!! Saving this to my favorites so I can come back to this. 

After I try it out I'll be sure to post pictures too, it'll probably be after Christmas that I give it a shot ;) Even if it doesn't work out for my hair, it's worth a shot. 

Thanks so much again!!

Shelby212302
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)