Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you left your hometown...

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM
  • 33 Replies
I left home at 18yro. There was just too much crap going on at home. My dad was divorcing my then-stepmom. My mom and I didn't get along. I just wanted away.

I travelled. Mostly throughout the southern part of the US. And a little in Central America. Spent some time in the Carribean. Finally married my husband and settled in southern MS. I'll be 30yro in a few weeks.

Once our kids reached school age, I wanted the F out of Mississippi. Don't get me wrong, I love the south for so many reasons, but education and politics aren't part of that. I miss the coast. I miss New Orleans (closest big city to us - pretty much where we worked and played lol). But I do t miss the schools.

We moved back to my hometown. It is a good place. Clean. Good economy. Good schools. Just a better quality of life across the board. I still have a ton of family and friends here.

But, I feel like an outsider. I feel like this isn't my home anymore. Sure, when we would visit, it was fun and nice to see everyone. But, now, it's just soooo.... Different. It isn't the same place I remember, which is weird, because it hasn't changed that much. It has definitely grown! But most everything that was familiar to me is still in the exact same place. I don't understand why so many people do the things they do.... Even stupid things, like driving! I HATE the way that they drive here. Too passive. Yet, this is where I got my first DL. I just know that none of them would survive a day driving in New Orleans lol. And the way they treat their kids. They act like their kids are mini adults rather then children. I let mine run and play.... Get dirty! They keep their kids cooped up. I never see other kids on my street!

DH hates it here, period. He agrees that the schools and opportunities are ten fold better then anything within 100miles of our old town. He agrees that it is cleaner (we lived in a pretty crappy town). But he doesn't like how incapable the people he has met are. Our neighbor actually asked him to change a lightbulb BC he didn't know how. He had someone argue with him that they could only put infinit tires on their car, swore they had to take it to a dealer for new tires! When my husband pointed out that it was just a normal 5-lug, they were offended lol.

I just feel like I don't belong in my hometown anymore.

Any of you go through something similar?
by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chris030406
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanutsmommy1
by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM
I moved twenty miles from where I grew up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chris030406
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Mine was more like a thousand miles lol.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I moved twenty miles from where I grew up

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gabeys_Mommy
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Born & raised in my hometown, never left, now we are raising our children here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM
I haven't moved back yet....but I do miss my hometown or the city I consider my hometown. My dad was military so we moved a bit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Yes & no. some things are the same, some things are so different. i could never permently move back though, i hate it there

ceemuhreeashbee
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM
I feel like a town is viewed differently when you're an adult. As a child, I found my home town boring, there was nothing to do.. as an adult, I found that boredom didn't go away, it just morphed into gossip. Glad to be away from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adore.my.guy
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM
I miss my family and the comfort in knowing the area and people but I could never go back. Not ever. I hate that place, to many horrible memory's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chris030406
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Quoting KelliansMom:

I haven't moved back yet....but I do miss my hometown or the city I consider my hometown. My dad was military so we moved a bit.

Understood. My stepdad was AF. But I didn't bounce around too much... Well, not BC of the military lol.
PookaboosMom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM
I moved 1200 miles away. I needed to get a fresh start. One where I wasn't always so and so's niece/grandkid/daughter/cousin. Away from a family that is twisted, but the whole town thinks the sun shines out their asses. I moved away so I could just breathe and be myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN