Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

WOW High ability?

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM
  • 34 Replies

My DD is being tested for high ability for this up coming school year! I knew shes was way ahead of her peers. This girl can read 3rd grade books and shes just in kindergarten! Anyone else in this same situation and any tips or and suggestions?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dsebastian23
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

BUMP!

twisted_charlie
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Treat her as normal as possible. My nephew is the same way.

dsebastian23
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

What did they do for him in school? They are talking about pulling her out of class 3 times a week for high ability in language arts. I wonder what they will do?

Quoting twisted_charlie:

hp2011
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I read at a college level in 5th grade.

It's a shame lol. I was so smart.

dsebastian23
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

The school didnt do anything?

Quoting hp2011:

kmjmlj
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Both my kids are gifted and way ahead. My 5 year old reads at 2nd grade level. My almost 10 year old 4th grader tests at 7th grade. I won't let them jump grades they are small kids as it is both wear a 5t. I didn't want them teased about being small.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hp2011
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Nah. They put me into a different classroom with other kids who were better than average at reading, but we didn't read really advanced stuff. I wrote very well too. I won several awards for my writing (stories with great grammar and spelling) and I got to meet a famous author as a prize.

Quoting dsebastian23:

The school didnt do anything?

Quoting hp2011:

twisted_charlie
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I don't know all of the specifics. He is in an advanced placement class for kids (he is 8), but it is not just for his reading ability. It may vary from school to school, but I really don't have a clue as to what they would do with your DD. It would likely prevent her from becoming bored, which is a good thing.

Just make sure you treat her like a normal child. I can't stress that enough.

Quoting dsebastian23:

What did they do for him in school? They are talking about pulling her out of class 3 times a week for high ability in language arts. I wonder what they will do?

Quoting twisted_charlie:

dsebastian23
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

When she went into kindergarten she missed the age cut off the year before. She turned 6, 3 minths after the august cut off date...wondering if she should have been placed in kindergarten last year and not this year. So she would have been in going into the second grade this coming school year....

Quoting twisted_charlie:

I don't know all of the specifics. He is in an advanced placement class for kids (he is 8), but it is not just for his reading ability. It may vary from school to school, but I really don't have a clue as to what they would do with your DD. It would likely prevent her from becoming bored, which is a good thing.

Just make sure you treat her like a normal child. I can't stress that enough.

Quoting dsebastian23:

Quoting twisted_charlie:

mrwinget1
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

My son is highly gifted. You will learn alot at the gifted orientation the school will have you go to. The main thing is to treat them normally and understand that usually kids like this put alot of pressure on themselves not to fail at something. Usually they are gifted in the things they enjoy not subjects that they don't. Alot of gifted students do not get straight A's. I have a whole packet of info that the gifted program gave us. It was amazing to see that what I perceived as "gifted" really wasn't how it is. My son is starting Junior High next year and I'm so nervous about that. They told us that gifted kids, especially girls will "dumb themselves down' to fit in with the crowd or to get a boyfriend/girlfriend. I learned that a great many gifted kids will not go to college because of that fear of failing that they always have. I don't talk about my son being gifted in front of him anymore nor to I say things like "You're too smart not to understand that problem". Just adds more pressure to them. Our school does not recommend moving kids up a grade because even though my son is working at an 8th grade level in the 5th grade, he is no where near mature enough to hang with 8th graders. He goes to a different school one day a week with the other gifted kids from the district and the teach gives him higher levels of work in most every subject. Its all very interesting really but congrats on that, I'm very proud of my son and I never have to help with homework thank goodness because he usually just "gets it" lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)