Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Breastfeeding

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:44 AM
  • 21 Replies

When did you decide to stop & why?  And what age do you think is a good time to stop?

by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 10, 2012 at 2:48 AM

why do you ask?

Amyinthesky
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Eighteen months. Stop when ever feels right for you I personaly did not want to go over the two year mark. 

gdrager
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:49 AM
With my first son I stopped at 14 months. He just really wasn't into that much and wanted to drink more from a sippy cup. My second son, he is only 4.5 months old. I plan to continue to breastfeed until at least a year as long as he is still into it. I think a good time to wean is whenever your child seems ready or just not into nursing anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marinewife55
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:16 AM
Hmm I am prolly among the minority, however when I started I said six months, then I changed to a yr, then hit a yr and said 18 months...my daughter turned two last month and if I didn't work fifty+ hours a wk, I feel like she would be even more of nitemare...she eats wonderfully, drinks almond mills, drinks out of regular cups, goes to school all that, but just does not want to wean...I feel like I'm always taking her hand out of my shirt, telling her no when she's signing for it...we are down to once every day or two but I get so many negative comments from people that it sometimes gets to me, they just say once she hit a yr, she should've been cut off blah blah and how I'm negatively affecting her :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2012 at 3:24 AM
26 months.
My goal was 2 years. She self weaned 2 months later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by faith on May. 10, 2012 at 3:27 AM

I nursed on demand and with childled weaning ...so.....

smc86
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:40 AM

I would definitely ignore any of the negative comments your getting.  I've been doing some research online and turns out that most parts of the world, unlike the U.S. breasfeed up until age five.  I can understand if it's affecting her in a negative way, but if she's still interested you're not doing anything wrong.  It's easy for moms to judge, especially ones that didn't breastfeed.  :)

Quoting marinewife55:

Hmm I am prolly among the minority, however when I started I said six months, then I changed to a yr, then hit a yr and said 18 months...my daughter turned two last month and if I didn't work fifty+ hours a wk, I feel like she would be even more of nitemare...she eats wonderfully, drinks almond mills, drinks out of regular cups, goes to school all that, but just does not want to wean...I feel like I'm always taking her hand out of my shirt, telling her no when she's signing for it...we are down to once every day or two but I get so many negative comments from people that it sometimes gets to me, they just say once she hit a yr, she should've been cut off blah blah and how I'm negatively affecting her :(

smc86
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Just interested to find out several opinions.  I just recently added a photographer on FB that specializes in breastfeeding photography.  The pictures were beautiful, then I was shocked to see pictures of moms breastfeeding at ages 3 and up in the pictures.  Before judging I decided to research online.  It's changed my view on "weaning" .  I personally stopped nursing around 6 months b/c my son got his teeth in and was cutting me terribly.  However I would have liked to at least made it to a year.

jen2150
by on May. 10, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I stopped at 14 months.  My boys were self weaned.  I really never thought about an ending date.  I knew I would stop when they were ready.  I never nursed to comfort though.  

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I stopped BF my oldest at 6 weeks. I got mastitis really bad in one breast, my supply dropped and my baby was hungry. I did everything the lactation consultant and doctors said but I just couldn't do it.

I think that if I had be able to breastfeed, I would have done it to 2 years old. That was my goal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)