Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Time breastfeeding cover sparks controversy! *EDIT with question*

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM
  • 1636 Replies
6 moms liked this

So, I don't want to make another post, but as I have been reading I began to wonder why there is an actual term, Extended Breast Feeding....  When did this term come in to use?  Just curious.

Time breastfeeding cover sparks controversy

By Dylan Stableford

Senior Media Reporter

By Dylan Stableford | The Cutline - 1 hr 38 mins ago

(Time)

This week's Time magazine cover features Jamie Lynne Grumet, a 26-year-old woman breastfeeding her three-year-old son. Grumet was one of four mothers photographed by Time for a cover story on "attachment parenting," an approach--outlined by 1992's "The Baby Book" by Dr. Bill Sears--that recommends extended breast-feeding, co-sleeping and "baby wearing."

The provocative cover, published online Thursday, was met with the predictable Twitter jaw-drop.

"Love the Time cover," AllThingsD.com's Peter Kafka wrote. "In the cringiest way possible."

"Anybody else slightly slack-jawed over this week's Time cover?" The Atlantic Wire's Adam Clark Estes rhetorically asked.

"Breastfeeding your 3-year-old is one thing," the Daily News' Bill Hammond wrote. "But putting a picture of him doing it on the cover of Time?"

"Heads up, parents!" John Cannon warned. "If you're planning to take your kids grocery shopping, you will have to explain this Time mag cover."

More popular Yahoo! News stories:

Obama supports gay marriage: How will it affect his re-election campaign?

Joe Biden: 'Absolutely comfortable' with gay marriage

Al-Qaida letter about Fox News: 'Let her die in her anger'

With light and love

by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piwife
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM
104 moms liked this
I think is awesome!!!! Am so tired of people condeming moms who nurse pass one. I plan to nurse my baby for as long as she wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM
118 moms liked this

i dont have a problem with the cover picture - its that 'are you mom enough' wording in the big headline that makes it somewhat initially offensive.  as if you are NOT 'mom ENOUGH' if you dont breastfeed your 3 year old or practice attachment parenting.

LoganTroyMom
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM
127 moms liked this
thats so weird. i bf, and if im still doing it after a year (or 18mos TOPS) i will be pumping. if they are off a bottle, why would they still be on the boob? put it in a cup. its just for the mom's enjoyment at that point. i have a 3yo and cannot imagine bfing him. that's absurd. in this society it is wrong. if you dont like it move to africa.
silverdawn99
by Jamie on May. 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM
6 moms liked this

I AGREE but alot of moms just dont see anything wrong with it

Quoting LoganTroyMom:

thats so weird. i bf, and if im still doing it after a year (or 18mos TOPS) i will be pumping. if they are off a bottle, why would they still be on the boob? put it in a cup. its just for the mom's enjoyment at that point. i have a 3yo and cannot imagine bfing him. that's absurd. in this society it is wrong. if you dont like it move to africa.

Alliemad_3
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM
92 moms liked this
I'm nursing my 2 year old right now. I guarantee it is not for my enjoyment.

Quoting LoganTroyMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
militarywife09
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM
43 moms liked this
Yeah I agree. I don't care how long you BFed, but dont tell me I'm not mom enough because I don't feel comfortable BFing a 3 y/o.

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i dont have a problem with the cover picture - its that 'are you mom enough' wording in the big headline that makes it somewhat initially offensive.  as if you are NOT 'mom ENOUGH' if you dont breastfeed your 3 year old or practice attachment parenting.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
by Nichole on May. 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM
65 moms liked this
The cover doesn't bother me at all. Honestly all I really noticed was that's a big three year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM
17 moms liked this

I don't see it as provocative. Some people have really tight undies.

rgba
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM
61 moms liked this
I still nurse my almost 3 year old because it is a source of comfort for him. Why do mothers have to judge other mothers for things like this? Does it somehow harm you that I nurse my child?

Quoting LoganTroyMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UxorQuodMatris.
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM
148 moms liked this
Your reply represents a lot of what is wrong in the way Americans view extended breast feeding.
And your Africa comment was just stupid.

Quoting LoganTroyMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)