Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Time breastfeeding cover sparks controversy! *EDIT with question*

Posted by   + Show Post

So, I don't want to make another post, but as I have been reading I began to wonder why there is an actual term, Extended Breast Feeding....  When did this term come in to use?  Just curious.

Time breastfeeding cover sparks controversy

By Dylan Stableford

Senior Media Reporter

By Dylan Stableford | The Cutline - 1 hr 38 mins ago

(Time)

This week's Time magazine cover features Jamie Lynne Grumet, a 26-year-old woman breastfeeding her three-year-old son. Grumet was one of four mothers photographed by Time for a cover story on "attachment parenting," an approach--outlined by 1992's "The Baby Book" by Dr. Bill Sears--that recommends extended breast-feeding, co-sleeping and "baby wearing."

The provocative cover, published online Thursday, was met with the predictable Twitter jaw-drop.

"Love the Time cover," AllThingsD.com's Peter Kafka wrote. "In the cringiest way possible."

"Anybody else slightly slack-jawed over this week's Time cover?" The Atlantic Wire's Adam Clark Estes rhetorically asked.

"Breastfeeding your 3-year-old is one thing," the Daily News' Bill Hammond wrote. "But putting a picture of him doing it on the cover of Time?"

"Heads up, parents!" John Cannon warned. "If you're planning to take your kids grocery shopping, you will have to explain this Time mag cover."

More popular Yahoo! News stories:

Obama supports gay marriage: How will it affect his re-election campaign?

Joe Biden: 'Absolutely comfortable' with gay marriage

Al-Qaida letter about Fox News: 'Let her die in her anger'

With light and love

by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Replies (251-260):
cklamour
by Cynnsation on May. 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

What a woman does with her body is her business. I nursed my second child for 15 months, and the only reason I had to stop was because I had to leave for a two week training. He's four now so who knows!

Your Africa comment was completely ignorant. Women all around the world except the USA nurse their children past the 12 month mark. So, European mothers, South American mothers, Asian mothers, Indian mothers, Pacific Islander mothers, Caribbean mothers, and who ever else nurse their children at two and above. Their was a woman in England who nursed both her girls past eight years. So, FYI, its not only in Africa and over there nursing does not last long once the child can eat solid foods.

Knowledge is power, so go empower yourself.

Quoting LoganTroyMom:

thats so weird. i bf, and if im still doing it after a year (or 18mos TOPS) i will be pumping. if they are off a bottle, why would they still be on the boob? put it in a cup. its just for the mom's enjoyment at that point. i have a 3yo and cannot imagine bfing him. that's absurd. in this society it is wrong. if you dont like it move to africa.

mcsmom1
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM

That child is 3???

momswag
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I completely agree! This is NOT what breastfeeding is about, not by a long shot. This image isn't going to do a damn thing to change the twisted perception of what BF and EBF is about. It's sad the image is being supported. 

Quoting happymommy1105:

I dislike the picture cause that's not what breastfeeding is.

But I like that they are talking about it.

GaleJ
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

You may, of course, do as you choose, but please don't say it's wrong in this society or any other. How people parent reflects their beliefs and as long as it doesn't directly and negatively impact you why do you get to decide it is wrong? Please allow everyone to decide for themselves what works best for them and their children.

Quoting LoganTroyMom:

thats so weird. i bf, and if im still doing it after a year (or 18mos TOPS) i will be pumping. if they are off a bottle, why would they still be on the boob? put it in a cup. its just for the mom's enjoyment at that point. i have a 3yo and cannot imagine bfing him. that's absurd. in this society it is wrong. if you dont like it move to africa.

nybor48
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, but I think 3 is just way too old to be bf'ing....  my kids.  done with bottles, binkys etc and on to sippy cups at a year.  at 2 they were potty training... at 3 they were riding quads.... 

besides, even kittens and puppies get weaned... 

LADY_V088
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM
I find the tittle inappropiate! And think maybe they could have picked a better photo to represent extended breast feeding.... It's their lifestyle it's their life... Who am I to say their ways of parenting are wrong?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conejoazul
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM
4 moms liked this

You may have posted one of those most ignorant and offensive sounding disagreements I have yet to read on CM. Your child isn´t the product of a womb engineered any differently than the wombs of women in Africa. The suggestion that your society and African society should nourish their children any differently makes you sound not only illiterate with regard to human biology but with regard to humanness in general.

No matter what your take on breastfeeding is you owe an apology to an entire continent of women and mothers for your prejudice.

Quoting LoganTroyMom:

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on May. 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Quoting nybor48:

I'm sorry, but I think 3 is just way too old to be bf'ing....  my kids.  done with bottles, binkys etc and on to sippy cups at a year.  at 2 they were potty training... at 3 they were riding quads.... 

besides, even kittens and puppies get weaned... 

With light and love

mommyakabooby
by Tree Charmer on May. 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM
3 moms liked this

Kudos to TIME magazine!!! I am so excited to see this cover! It means that millions of people are being exposed to extended breastfeeding, their kids are being exposed. It's a major step in making it normal again! All the controversy about it is giving it even more exposure. Go TIME magazine!

alliem82
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I agree that her comment about africa was wrong,.  personally i would not bf a two year old let alone older, but that's just me.  i don't like the cover.  i think it's classless and ugly.  however to say "go to africa" is uncalled for and is just an example of what is wrong with america these days.

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

Your reply represents a lot of what is wrong in the way Americans view extended breast feeding.
And your Africa comment was just stupid.

Quoting LoganTroyMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)