Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Time breastfeeding cover sparks controversy! *EDIT with question*

Posted by   + Show Post

So, I don't want to make another post, but as I have been reading I began to wonder why there is an actual term, Extended Breast Feeding....  When did this term come in to use?  Just curious.

Time breastfeeding cover sparks controversy

By Dylan Stableford

Senior Media Reporter

By Dylan Stableford | The Cutline - 1 hr 38 mins ago

(Time)

This week's Time magazine cover features Jamie Lynne Grumet, a 26-year-old woman breastfeeding her three-year-old son. Grumet was one of four mothers photographed by Time for a cover story on "attachment parenting," an approach--outlined by 1992's "The Baby Book" by Dr. Bill Sears--that recommends extended breast-feeding, co-sleeping and "baby wearing."

The provocative cover, published online Thursday, was met with the predictable Twitter jaw-drop.

"Love the Time cover," AllThingsD.com's Peter Kafka wrote. "In the cringiest way possible."

"Anybody else slightly slack-jawed over this week's Time cover?" The Atlantic Wire's Adam Clark Estes rhetorically asked.

"Breastfeeding your 3-year-old is one thing," the Daily News' Bill Hammond wrote. "But putting a picture of him doing it on the cover of Time?"

"Heads up, parents!" John Cannon warned. "If you're planning to take your kids grocery shopping, you will have to explain this Time mag cover."

More popular Yahoo! News stories:

Obama supports gay marriage: How will it affect his re-election campaign?

Joe Biden: 'Absolutely comfortable' with gay marriage

Al-Qaida letter about Fox News: 'Let her die in her anger'

With light and love

by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Replies (271-280):
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Once our kids stopped breastfeeding they comforted themselves very effectively the same way other kids do, with a blanket, with a hug, with a venting of frustration, with w plea for help.  They were also very independent, very capable and confiddent of their place in the world.

momto2boys92106
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Not for me at all...but not saying its not for everyone first off...right on if u wanna booby feed your kid. But the title is very offensive ...that because I don't want to booby feed my kids ...im not mom enough, that's bs, im a good mommy regardless of if I booby feed or im not an "attached parent" or whatever...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AerickMomi_MrsD
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Quoting jshalas89:

It's gross and disrespectful. Cover that shit up.

AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

For chrissakes it's a play on words.

Usually the statement is 'man enough' right? Well 'mom' slides right in there.

Don't take it so personally gals I bet the writer did not care whether or not you BF.

Peytonsmom6308
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

iI think this picture screams "omg i'm doing something other people don't like"  could care less what she feeds her kid, But i bet darn well she doesn't feed her kid like that at home. It defeats the purpose, and challenging some ones motherhood would make me not even crack the cover of that magazine even if it was one i read every month because I could only assume they were pushy morons.

mommyakabooby
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Quoting mommyakabooby:

Kudos to TIME magazine!!! I am so excited to see this cover! It means that millions of people are being exposed to extended breastfeeding, their kids are being exposed. It's a major step in making it normal again! All the controversy about it is giving it even more exposure. Go TIME magazine!

So, you agree with the pose and the title, "are you mom enough?"

Yes, I think it is genious how they did it. Not that I necessarily like the term "are you mom enough", but it was used to draw attention to the article, and the fact that it is considered extreme. So, in that context the desired effect was achived. Also, for the record, I dont think "extreme" breastfeeders are any better than any other mom.

momswag

Quoting msjaxon:

The pic and caption do not help their message at all....

Bf is supposed to be a loving act jot some gi Jane mission.....

I agree. Did you read the caption? "Why attachment parenting drives some mothers to extremes." 

How in any way does this help the movement? This mother is still being portrayed as 'extreme' and not the norm. This isn't promoting breastfeeding or EBF, it's only facilitating the social stigma already associated with EBF! 

KayDziedzic

I say "full-term breastfeeding".

I think that using this picture for an article about 'extremes' is in bad taste.

Peytonsmom6308
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

MsJaxon, I think I actually agree with you  on this one! :)

Quoting msjaxon:

The pic and caption do not help their message at all....

Bf is supposed to be a loving act jot some gi Jane mission.....

pdxmum
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Quoting AM-BRAT:

For chrissakes it's a play on words.

Usually the statement is 'man enough' right? Well 'mom' slides right in there.

Don't take it so personally gals I bet the writer did not care whether or not you BF.

Oh please, don't be daft.  Using the term "man enough" is also meant as a put down.  The whole point of the cover and the title are meant to poke and provoke.  Sells magazines.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN