Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I neeeeeeed helppppppp pleaseeeeee??? :)

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM
  • 9 Replies

Today was the 2nd day of testing at the allergist and all came back negative.  Allergist tells me that people have ARs to injections all the time.  Although I did not have an *immediate reaction* doesn't mean it didn't happen.  I asked him point blank can it happen again...  he says yes it could.  May be worse.  And it may not happen.  Who knows.

Well I remember what happened to me...  it occurred a few hours after the injection.  My throat started feeling full.  My entire body was covered in a blood red rash.  My heart rate and BP was very high.  It was spreading in the ER..............  it was bad enough as soon as i checked in they moved me to the back.  Forget waiting in the overly crowded waiting room!

So my thing is i'm scared to have injections.  He told me I shouldn't do it if i'm scared because it can happen again.  Well my thing is since all is 'negative' what is the spine surgeon gonna say.  Is he gonna refuse to help me unless I get injections??  I need a 'discogram' before surgery...  they injection stuff into your back to do that.  I'm scared of that as well.  I just don't know.  My mom says to wait and see.  But i'm all sorts of confused.

by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be very confused on what to do as well with that going on in my body.  Sorry I do not have any advice.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

shameless bump :)

GreenEyePixie
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM
was that reaction to your testing or a previous medical deal? Do they know what you reacted to?

First I would get the info from the ER (if you don't already have that stuff). Take it with you to show the doc. He needs to take in consideration your delayed allergic reaction. If he refuses to do the surgery with the discography first, then see if they are willing to hold you overnight for observation.

All in all Do what YOU feel is right. You don't feel safe doing the injections, then say so and get them to find a different way. If they won't try getting a second opinion. Remember you are in charge, not them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM

The reaction was a few hours after my first steriod injection.  I'm not sure if they can give me a totally different mixture of components.  I'm deathly scared of the 3 in that one (lidocaine, depo metrol & betadine).  They have no idea what exactly I reacted to that's why they sent me to the allergist but now I get this report today and the allergist told me straight up just because I didn't get an AR to it in his office doesn't mean I didn't then.  Meaning it happens.  Lol i'm so confuzzled....  He told me it can happen again and that's why i'm so scared.  I'll come closer to doing the discogram before i will the injections...

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

was that reaction to your testing or a previous medical deal? Do they know what you reacted to?

First I would get the info from the ER (if you don't already have that stuff). Take it with you to show the doc. He needs to take in consideration your delayed allergic reaction. If he refuses to do the surgery with the discography first, then see if they are willing to hold you overnight for observation.

All in all Do what YOU feel is right. You don't feel safe doing the injections, then say so and get them to find a different way. If they won't try getting a second opinion. Remember you are in charge, not them.

LoriLou75
by on May. 10, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Just stay calm. Don't worry about the "what if's" until you talk to your Dr, if you don't like what he says, get a second opinion before making ant decisions.

GreenEyePixie
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Well get the allergist to put that in writing and then refuse any more steroid shots. With the delayed reaction, I would put my money on the lidocaine being the culprit. They should be avle to test you with all three of those seperately.

It also could be the mixture. Sometimes an alergy won't show to one of the items but when mixed with the others causes an AR. Kinda like vinegar and baking soda.

Just stand your ground momma!

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

The reaction was a few hours after my first steriod injection.  I'm not sure if they can give me a totally different mixture of components.  I'm deathly scared of the 3 in that one (lidocaine, depo metrol & betadine).  They have no idea what exactly I reacted to that's why they sent me to the allergist but now I get this report today and the allergist told me straight up just because I didn't get an AR to it in his office doesn't mean I didn't then.  Meaning it happens.  Lol i'm so confuzzled....  He told me it can happen again and that's why i'm so scared.  I'll come closer to doing the discogram before i will the injections...

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Bump for more advice....  :)

rgba
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM
I have allergic reactions to many things, but rarely "test" positive. Listen to your instinct.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM

bizump!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN