Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My Daughter Needs A Heart Echo:( UPDATE: SAW THE CARDIOLOGIST!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

So I'm kind of confused.

We were w/our Pediatrician back home for a little over 5yrs & nothing was ever mentioned about an irregular heartbeat.

When we moved the first Dr we saw said there was a murmur but not abnormal & seen a lot in kids when they are stressed.

Well we switched Drs & my kids are now going where I am at bc I swear every Dr up until now has been quacks that I've been seeing here.

Anyway, I mentioned what the other Dr had said & they listened to her heart for a good long while.

They said she does not have a murmur but an irregular/regular heartbeat.  Meaning it slows slightly for 2 beats but resumes to normal but they say regular bc for her it does not change.

They said it is a good sign that it stays regular for her & isn't all over the place & that this is not abnormal for kids. 

But they are sending us bc a time or 2 Summer has said "my heart hurts" but she had been playing & doing cartwheels & such & if you know how she plays she plays extremely hard so I never really worried about it.  So bc of that & bc I had open heart when I was young they are sending her for an echo.

Now I had a Fetal Echo done w/her & her old pediatrician never mentioned anything  & knows I had surgery so I don't understand why all of a sudden now this is coming up.

I am a bit worried, but feel if something was really wrong we would've known by now.  But I also know that isn't always the case.

They told me not to worry they are only doing this as a precaution & had it not been for my history they wouldn't typically order an Echo yet.

But I can't help but worry, she's my baby girl & I don't want her to have to go through surgery or anything horrible:(

Please give me positive thoughts & prayers for my baby girl, thank you!!!

By the way she is 7yrs old.

EDIT:  Her Echo isn't until the 18th, next Friday.  I am going to go insane waiting:(

RESULTS:( Okay so what I was told was that Summer has a "slight enlargement of her Right Atrium & Right Ventricle." They also said there is possibly and "Atrial Septal Defect (ASD)." They said possible bc this was just a limited study.

We are being set up w/a Pediatric Cardiologist at Vanderbilt & I am just freaking out. So many questions like for starters, how has this been missed all these years? I had a fetal echo done, her last physical the Dr said there was no murmur, no click, no abnormal rythm.

My heart is sinking, I am so afraid she will need major surgery, I am scared to death!!! My baby girl, why is this happening all of a sudden?

UPDATE: Summer sees the Cardiologist tomorrow morning. I am a nervous wreck, but so thankful my DH is home & is able to go to this appointment w/us.

Can you all please send prayers or good thoughts, positive vibes, anything please!!! THANK YOU!!!

UPDATE 6/26 SAW THE CARDIOLOGIST: So my DD is a champ, she was not stressed at all today, I am so very proud of her!!!

She had a new & better ECHO done today & she had an EKG & they checked her BP in both arms & both legs. She normally stresses over things & she was just so chilled out & happy to have all the attention, I think it helped that her daddy was there:)

During her BP & Pulse check though the monitor went off bc it said her heart rate was to low, she was at 69. The nurse said it was low for her age but she wasn't worried about it.

So then we waited for the Cardiologist. She listened to her heart sitting up from every single direction. Had her deep breath, had her hold her breath. She listened to Summer's heart laying down, had her deep breath, had her hold her breath. Then she listened to her heart standing up, again deep breathing & then holding her breath as well.

After all that FINALLY we are told she is perfectly fine!!!!! :):):)

The cardiologist said the ECHO Summer originally had is a "limited echo" and they get many kids bc of them. The Tech can position just slightly wrong, the child can move just slightly & it throws off the picture.

The Tech today obviously did her entire heart but then focused on what the other ECHO said was wrong.

She has no hole in her heart, so no Atrial Septal Defect. She also has NO enlargement like the other ECHO showed as a possibility.

The cardiologist did say Summer does have an irregular heart beat, but it goes away when she holds her breath & that this is VERY COMMON in children her age.

She also was not concerned w/her resting heart rate being at 69, it was around 75 during her ECHO. She said her heart is completely healthy.

I am so excited, so happy beyond belief!!!

Thank you everyone for all the prayers, good thoughts, positive vibes, everything!!!! You have no idea how happy & lucky & grateful I feel right now, thank you so much!!!

by on May. 10, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Replies (51-60):
dsebastian23
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 8:20 AM

my son has a heart murmur which he had never had before...and they told me it was normal.

CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2012 at 8:44 AM
It is hard for me bc I remember what I went through and I just don't want her going what I did.

But I'm being positive and trying to push my worries aside for now.

Quoting xtc88:

My nephew had open heart surgery when he was 18 days old. He will be 6 in september. He will probably have another surgery this summer. Hes excited but all of us arent. Lol. Im sure everything will be ok with your DD and even if its not kids are strong. Its the parents who have a harder time dealing with it. Definitely sending positive vibes your way. *hugs*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Bump

CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Bump

starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Stay strong mama...I know its hard but don't worry until you are sure there is something wrong. Stay positive! *hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Stay strong mama...I know its hard but don't worry until you are sure there is something wrong. Stay positive! *hugs*

I am trying, trying so hard but failing at it tonight:(

Thank you!

RadnRem
by on May. 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM
How old is she? Sorry if its been asked already, I haven't read any replies.

But my 9 yo son has been complaining of his heart hearting for a couple of yrs now. His ped said it is just chest wall pain. Basically a growing pain. Its the #1 cause for chest pain in kids.
My sons is aggrivated due to pectus excavatum (its late and I may not have spelled that correctly, lol). Its just where his sternum caves in....nice hereditary thing from my DH, lol.

I hope that is all it is for your daughter as well. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM

She is 7, she will be 8 in September.

I have been choking back the fear for a few days now & when she came & complained it brought the fear to the surface again & now the kids are sleeping & the fear is overwhelming me.

I so wish my DH was here:(

Quoting RadnRem:

How old is she? Sorry if its been asked already, I haven't read any replies.

But my 9 yo son has been complaining of his heart hearting for a couple of yrs now. His ped said it is just chest wall pain. Basically a growing pain. Its the #1 cause for chest pain in kids.
My sons is aggrivated due to pectus excavatum (its late and I may not have spelled that correctly, lol). Its just where his sternum caves in....nice hereditary thing from my DH, lol.

I hope that is all it is for your daughter as well. Good luck!

CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2012 at 5:09 PM

BUMP

CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN