Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
*title changed to get people*

Honest question that got skipped over in the other post, not to bash if you wanna bash go back to the 800 plus reply post.

What benefits does an 18 month plus child lose by getting BM in a cup vs straight from the breast?

**Edit** I am strictly talking about the milk itself, not the bonding or simplicity. My family has major allergy issues, and I want to continue to provide those antibodies if she self weans around 18 months or so.

Also sources please, because I am serious about researching this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
wulfeyes05
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I'm not sure if this helps

www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1975328,00.html

crysjuls
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Pumping and nursing is not the same thing. Baby is able to get alot more milk out if they nurse, than a pump would...even if you do have magic boobs. Baby nursing tells your boobs how much milk to produce, especially thru a growth spurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathislove80
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Why would the bonding end just because they're over a year old?

Quoting CheesyKitty:

I seen a couple time that they are not getting the "benefits" from a cup.

I am an anomaly, I can hand express a full sippy in 10 min @ 9 months. So that isn't an issue for me. Is there any thing that I'm missing? I know when they are little it's a bonding/comfort thing.

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

Alot if the time it's simply more convenient. Why pump and put it in a cup, then have to wash the pump and cup when you could just go straight to the source?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheesyKitty
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM
It wouldn't end. But I don't see the need for a 2 year old to be nursing to bond to me.

Quoting kathislove80:

Quoting CheesyKitty:

I am an anomaly, I can hand express a full sippy in 10 min @ 9 months. So that isn't an issue for me. Is there any thing that I'm missing? I know when they are little it's a bonding/comfort thing.

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

Alot if the time it's simply more convenient. Why pump and put it in a cup, then have to wash the pump and cup when you could just go straight to the source?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheesyKitty
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Would the allergy fighting perks still be there in a cup?

I am not worried about supply, I'm worried if the milk itself would still have the same benefits.

Quoting crysjuls:

Pumping and nursing is not the same thing. Baby is able to get alot more milk out if they nurse, than a pump would...even if you do have magic boobs. Baby nursing tells your boobs how much milk to produce, especially thru a growth spurt.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Winchester
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

He would lose the closeness/bond between mother and child.  If he/she is drinking from a cup he/she is feeding himself or perhaps someone else is.  If you feed your child straight from the breast they remain close to you.  Other than that I am not sure what the "benefits" are.  It's more convenient,  for one.  I did it because I couldn't pump.

CheesyKitty
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Hmm, what if I nursed her at night but a cup during the day? I am really looking for info about even after she "weans" because I want to be able to give her the allergy fighting antibodies as long as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I can't pump. Besides, even though BM is BM in a cup or from the breast, a cup does not cover ALL the benifits and bonding times.

CheesyKitty
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM
I don't see that as being true. After 18 months the bond should be pretty strong.

Quoting Mrs.Winchester:

He would lose the closeness/bond between mother and child.  If he/she is drinking from a cup he/she is feeding himself or perhaps someone else is.  If you feed your child straight from the breast they remain close to you.  Other than that I am not sure what the "benefits" are.  It's more convenient,  for one.  I did it because I couldn't pump.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Winchester
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Ok.  well,  some people want to bond with their children for as long as they can. I still considered my DD a baby until age 2.  She didn't even say her first words until 18 months.  She was so tiny most people didn't even know I was extended feeding.  Over age one she really only nursed to be put down for a nap or bed time not for food.

Quoting CheesyKitty:

It wouldn't end. But I don't see the need for a 2 year old to be nursing to bond to me.

Quoting kathislove80:

Quoting CheesyKitty:

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN