Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cop Kicks Pregnant Woman In Stomach, Dept. Says He Was Within Policy

Posted by   + Show Post

Officer says he didn't know the woman was pregnant.

Just when you thought the police ran out of ways to disgust you.

Dekalb County police officer Jerad Wheeler was called to a home to settle a domestic dispute involving a pregnant woman named Raven Dozier, her brother and his child and baby's mother.

As things escalated Wheeler pulled out his taser and used it on Dozier's brother. She says that's when she started crying and asking the officer why he used a taser on her brother.

Wheeler must not have been in a talking mood because after he used the taser on him, he then kicked Dozier in the stomach.

Like Us On Facebook And Follow Us On Twitter

"I think he really just didn't want me asking him any questions, questioning him, and when I did question him is when he kicked me," she tells Atlanta's Channel 2 Action News. "I was upset because I couldn't believe an officer would kick me, with my child in my stomach."

Dozier was almost nine months pregnant and wound up giving birth via an emergency C-section two weeks after the kick left a bruise. The now 4-month old baby was born and is healthy. 

"What kind of a human being kicks a pregnant woman?" says Dozier's attorney Mark Bullman. "I mean, forget whether or not it is a police officer that is supposedly protecting people." 

Officer Wheeler says that he couldn't tell that Dozier was pregnant and that he only kicked her because she came at him aggressively. He also described the kick as "a front push kick to the abdomen, as he was taught to do at the academy," in his police report.

On top of getting kicked in the stomach, Dozier was also charged with obstruction, a charge that was later dropped. She also filed a complaint with the Dekalb County Police Department, but the matter was never investigated and they said that Officer Wheeler's actions were within department policy. 

This isn't the first time Wheeler has acted questionably. In 2011, he was accused of manhandling a 53-year old woman, twisting her arm behind her back and shoving her face down into a patrol car. She says she was only trying to check on her grandchildren who had just got in a car wreck with their mother. This past January, Wheeler was accused of showing up to the wrong address when called, and then shooting that family's dog.

Wheeler is currently under criminal investigation.

-----------------------

How could he NOT tell she was pregnant?? o.O

Pregnancy

by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Replies (181-185):
Rose87
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM

wheres my post?! :o(

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Me too

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

I would like to hear his side

KMAsMommy9182
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I think that kicking her in the stomach when she is very much pregnant is disgusting regardless of the situation.  There are plenty of other maneuvers he could have utilized to subdue the woman.

Quoting CABZS:

Well I don't find what he did disgusting if he was defending himself. Especially if it is a high crime area.

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

In Dekalb county, chances are that he may have been on his own.  It is a low-income area that has entirely too much crime for the amount of police officers they have.  I am not entirely sure if they do partners there, but where I grew up they did not.  Routine traffic stops definitely do not bring 3 cruisers in that area.  While I would like to believe that a police officer would not go into that sort of situation without back-up, it is all together possible that is exactly what happened.

What he did was disgusting nonetheless. 

Quoting CABZS:

But again you are making an assumption.

Most cops have partners & most of the time more than one cop responds to a call.

Heck routine traffic stops now many times have 3 cruisers involved.

So maybe there wasn't back up but I would be comfortable betting there was.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Where in the article does it say he does?

Quoting CABZS:

Are you kidding me?

Wow is all I can say.

And where does the article say he didn't have back up?

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

He shouldn't have been trying to restrain either.... he should have had back up

vixen42
by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

i thought hurting a pregnant woman was a felony? Thank God mom and baby were ok

chaslee
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Thank you!  My husband and I were just discussing this and I kind of feel bad for the guy.  

He is called to a domestic violence situation, three adults in a heated situation and him.  He feels the need to taser the brother, she starts coming at him... asking questions or not, she is probably pretty freaked out, so he reacts to protect himself... could he tell she was pregnant?  It really does depend on what she was wearing, all he knows is some woman is coming at him and she is NOT happy.

The 53 year old grandma... She says that she was trying to check if her daughter and grandkids were okay, but how rational was she?  Was she flailing about screaming?  He DETAINED her.  It is not fun when that happens.

Wrong address... I worked 911 dispatch.  It happens.  The caller gives the wrong address, the dispatcher gives the wrong address, or the officer just cant see the address because it is not clearly marked.  He breaks down a door because there is a life threatening situation and a dog attacks him.  He shoots it.  It happens EVER SINGLE DAY! Is it awful?  Yes... does that mean he is a horrible officer that should be fired?  No.  It means he is a human being.  

I don't know him, I don't know the whole story, but I am betting the pregnant woman wasn't just standing there, calmly asking questions with tears running down her face.  I'm glad her baby is okay.

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Ok the two incidents mentioned in the post is one 53 year old lady who complained about him manhandling her and twisting her arm and slamming her into a police car....uh that's what happens when you get arrested. It's not supposed to be pleasant

Two he showed up to the wrong address...last time I checked dispatch tells them where to go. Could it be he got told the wrong address?

Quoting alreadydidthis:

Some cops in atlanta beat 4 teens AFTER they were hand cuffed. Were they a threat?. Witnesses saw and said they never resisted arrest cops started hiting them after they had the cuffs on. Not all cops are decent not all are bad but this man has a bad history yes all coos have a history but just as well as we all shouldnt assume shes a saint we shouldnt assume he is either.

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Hell any time someone is handled.by the police they think what the officer did was questionable...do what the officer tells you and things will go a lot smoothly! They don't relax until the cuffs are on you because until that point they are running on adrenaline because you are a threat
Quoting seraphimsong:

Did you not read the rest of the article? It says this isn't the first time he's responded in a questionable manner. I think he is being mean on purpose to people & then saying it's because he felt threatened.

Quoting velvetkitty:

I'm torn on this.......I'm not saying it is acceptable to kick a pregnant woman in the stomach BECAUSE IT'S NOT, BUT you are just hearing her side of the story.  She must have been doing something to make the cop feel threatened, and if that is the case, then he was within his rights to defend himself.  There were other ways to fight off a pregnant woman, but in the moment, your instinct kicks in and you can't turn it off. But if that's not the case, and he just hauled off and kicked her then there needs to be some action taken against him.   Now, I'm prepared for bashing.  lol

trebelcleff
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I have to say I question his actions.  I could understand one, maybe even two of these scenarios happening to the same officer as coincidence, but three?  And in such a short time period?  I can even understand the one where he went to the wrong address, but that is why you triple check things and question dispatch or any higher-up when you show up to a supposedly dangerous scene only to find there appears to be NOTHING going on.  This is also why you are supposed to call back-up if a scene is dangerous; that way there is another person available to prove that whatever actions are taken were in fact necessary.  Everything he did may be legitimate, but the fact that he never called for support is very questionable to me, and now it's only his word against theirs and he has no one to validate the need for such force.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)