Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is Ringworm really that serious?

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM
  • 106 Replies

My daughter has ringworm on the underside of the top part of her arm. Last week she missed two days of school because she had strep throat (everyone in the house had it except for DH). Anyway, I've been putting some OTC cream on it for two days now. Today she tells me that the teacher hurt her feelings because she moved her desk away from the other kids and has made a point of telling them not to touch her. Apparently, I'm not supposed to send her to school while she has a ringworm. I really had no idea it was that big of a deal. I would never send her to school if she had head lice, the flu or strep. I didn't want her to miss anymore school. They also only have two weeks left of school, and they are doing all kinds of end of the year activities (she had a field trip last week and they are having field day and beach day tomorrow). So am I wrong in feeling like ringworm is just not that big of a deal? Would you freak out if you found out a student showed up to your child's class with ringworm?

by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvmymunchkins3
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes because its very contagious if the child had it covered and was putting cream on it maybe not so much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not a real big deal but its.contagious
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_The_Nurse
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM

what kind of a cream? just spray tinactin on it a few times a day; it will go away. 

mommykate4
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM

if it wasn't covered then yes

ramonafrog
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM
You're suppose to cover it lightly with a band aid when sending her to school. It IS highly contagious. I dint see a problem with what the teacher said (having been in her shoes).

Eta: I wouldn't freak, as a parent. But I would ask questions to make sure preventive measures are being taken. Ringworm is highly contagious and can be very hard to treat...Speaking from experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM

It's generic athlete's foot cream. :-)

Quoting Mom_The_Nurse:

what kind of a cream? just spray tinactin on it a few times a day; it will go away. 

isaiahbellamom
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Its contagious
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on May. 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Quoting Mom_The_Nurse:

Or you can rub a little bit of bleach on it leave for a min or two and wash it off it will dry it out fast
rmfanfgljf
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM
If you put a bandaid over it it should have been fine. I was told by our school nurse that if my dd had ringworm on her scalp that she would need to stay home until it was gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Just use lotramin cream
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)