Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My daughter has ringworm on the underside of the top part of her arm. Last week she missed two days of school because she had strep throat (everyone in the house had it except for DH). Anyway, I've been putting some OTC cream on it for two days now. Today she tells me that the teacher hurt her feelings because she moved her desk away from the other kids and has made a point of telling them not to touch her. Apparently, I'm not supposed to send her to school while she has a ringworm. I really had no idea it was that big of a deal. I would never send her to school if she had head lice, the flu or strep. I didn't want her to miss anymore school. They also only have two weeks left of school, and they are doing all kinds of end of the year activities (she had a field trip last week and they are having field day and beach day tomorrow). So am I wrong in feeling like ringworm is just not that big of a deal? Would you freak out if you found out a student showed up to your child's class with ringworm?

by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
southern.momof2
by Mel on May. 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM
My son had one on his ankle. I got some cream prescribed by his doctor and kept it covered while he was at school.

Cover it and you shouldn't have a problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sylv.the.Wine-O
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I think it can be... 

I don't really know that much about it though - Sorry :( 

motherslove82
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I'm not mad at the teacher, I just did not realize it was a big deal. I know it is contagious, but It's not bad. The worst that happens is that there is a little ringworm rash that may itch a little. It's not like head lice or an illness. I'll make sure she keeps it covered. I did tell her to wash her hands a lot and try not to touch it or anyone else.

Quoting ramonafrog:

You're suppose to cover it lightly with a band aid when sending her to school. It IS highly contagious. I dint see a problem with what the teacher said (having been in her shoes).

luvhubandbabys
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM
If its covered I don't see what the big deal is. My dd had it on her lower back her sister never caught it cuz it was always covered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Yes its that big of a deal. Ringworm spreads like wildfire. Just like pink eye.

We have to have a doctors note to send the child back to school if they have ringworm here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherrywaves21
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Yes it is. Its itchy and highly contagious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whisper85
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM

From what I was told you aren't contagious after 48 hours of treatment..... My brother had it a few times, and that is what his doctor told him.. 

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Not true.

If you get ringworm on your head, it will make your hair fall out. I have seen it happen.

Ringworm can also make other pre exisiting skin conditions worse.

So while its not a big deal for your child, it could be for another.

Quoting motherslove82:

I'm not mad at the teacher, I just did not realize it was a big deal. I know it is contagious, but It's not bad. The worst that happens is that there is a little ringworm rash that may itch a little. It's not like head lice or an illness. I'll make sure she keeps it covered. I did tell her to wash her hands a lot and try not to touch it or anyone else.

Quoting ramonafrog:

You're suppose to cover it lightly with a band aid when sending her to school. It IS highly contagious. I dint see a problem with what the teacher said (having been in her shoes).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting motherslove82:

Quoting ramonafrog:

Not true. It can spread and cover a very large area. Someone I know said they went to a carnival once and a little girl had a diaper covering her arm (you know how kids are, she had to show and tell everyone!) that was covering her ringworm that was all the way down the length of her lower arm!!

boysrablessing
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Ehh ringworm is pretty common in our area. We live near the woods kids play in creeks and mud puddles and any other water source they can its worse during the warm months (they wanna play in water naturally) but around here most time you call ur doc he sends in the prescription cream and vaula cover with cream and bandaid and be on ur way. Most docs around here dont want their waiting rooms more crowded then needed unless its on a crucial place like their face or head.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN