Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My daughter has ringworm on the underside of the top part of her arm. Last week she missed two days of school because she had strep throat (everyone in the house had it except for DH). Anyway, I've been putting some OTC cream on it for two days now. Today she tells me that the teacher hurt her feelings because she moved her desk away from the other kids and has made a point of telling them not to touch her. Apparently, I'm not supposed to send her to school while she has a ringworm. I really had no idea it was that big of a deal. I would never send her to school if she had head lice, the flu or strep. I didn't want her to miss anymore school. They also only have two weeks left of school, and they are doing all kinds of end of the year activities (she had a field trip last week and they are having field day and beach day tomorrow). So am I wrong in feeling like ringworm is just not that big of a deal? Would you freak out if you found out a student showed up to your child's class with ringworm?

by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Replies (21-30):
ramonafrog
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Your daughter may not have a bad reaction but another student may be more sensitive to an outbreak. Each person reacts differently to "rashes". Some people may not have a reaction at al to Poison ivy, oak, sumac, etc. Meanwhile another may be deathly allergic. So, while your daughter may just have a small reaction, another student may be susceptible to their entire body breaking out. It really is a bigger deal than you think.

Quoting motherslove82:

I'm not mad at the teacher, I just did not realize it was a big deal. I know it is contagious, but It's not bad. The worst that happens is that there is a little ringworm rash that may itch a little. It's not like head lice or an illness. I'll make sure she keeps it covered. I did tell her to wash her hands a lot and try not to touch it or anyone else.

Quoting ramonafrog:

You're suppose to cover it lightly with a band aid when sending her to school. It IS highly contagious. I dint see a problem with what the teacher said (having been in her shoes).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Look at this one. Yummy!

motherslove82
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok. I will keep it covered tomorrow and Hopefully it will be gone by Monday. If not, I will take her to the doctor and get her something stronger. I really don't want her to miss anymore school and tomorrow is beach day/field day.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Your daughter may not have a bad reaction but another student may be more sensitive to an outbreak. Each person reacts differently to "rashes". Some people may not have a reaction at al to Poison ivy, oak, sumac, etc. Meanwhile another may be deathly allergic. So, while your daughter may just have a small reaction, another student may be susceptible to their entire body breaking out. It really is a bigger deal than you think.

Quoting motherslove82:

I'm not mad at the teacher, I just did not realize it was a big deal. I know it is contagious, but It's not bad. The worst that happens is that there is a little ringworm rash that may itch a little. It's not like head lice or an illness. I'll make sure she keeps it covered. I did tell her to wash her hands a lot and try not to touch it or anyone else.

Quoting ramonafrog:

You're suppose to cover it lightly with a band aid when sending her to school. It IS highly contagious. I dint see a problem with what the teacher said (having been in her shoes).

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on May. 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be pissed that it wasn't covered and you would be paying any dr or vet bills that would come of it if they got it. Just because its not that big of a deal doesn't mean other kids should be subjected to it because your too damn careless to cover it. Its bs that you knew it was highly contagious and you didnt care cuz its only a small itchey rash. ugh

ramonafrog
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM
From what I remember when I had it as a kid, its not contagious 48 hrs after treatment. But you should still lightly cover it when she's around others. I hope she doesn't miss out on her last few weeks of school fun :)
Good luck!

Quoting motherslove82:

Ok. I will keep it covered tomorrow and Hopefully it will be gone by Monday. If not, I will take her to the doctor and get her something stronger. I really don't want her to miss anymore school and tomorrow is beach day/field day.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Quoting motherslove82:

Quoting ramonafrog:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

That was unnecessary. Do you sue people who send their kids to school with the stomach flu or with strep throat. Every illness you or you child have ever had has been because somebody left the house when they were sick. Do you sue all of them. I honestly did not realize it was something that could be serious. I also know that schools get really pissy if the kids miss too much school. I didn't think it was a big enough deal to keep her home. Obviously I was wrong. She has already been treated for more than 48 hours and should not be contagious anymore anyway.

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

I would be pissed that it wasn't covered and you would be paying any dr or vet bills that would come of it if they got it. Just because its not that big of a deal doesn't mean other kids should be subjected to it because your too damn careless to cover it. Its bs that you knew it was highly contagious and you didnt care cuz its only a small itchey rash. ugh

JLo1486
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM
I used clear nail polish. I had one cover my whole thigh when I was a kid. We didn't know what it was and my mom finally had it checked out. They told us to use that. It cleared out fast!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. She's already been on medicine for more than 48 hours.

Quoting ramonafrog:

From what I remember when I had it as a kid, its not contagious 48 hrs after treatment. But you should still lightly cover it when she's around others. I hope she doesn't miss out on her last few weeks of school fun :)
Good luck!

Quoting motherslove82:

Quoting ramonafrog:

Quoting motherslove82:

Quoting ramonafrog:

MrsClark816
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM
If ots being treated, and you cover it, there shouldn't be an issue. I had ringworm as a kid, and never was treated that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM
It's really contagious but it's not dangerous :P I get it in my underarm if I reuse razors. Never on my legs tho. So I use disposables for my underarm when it does happen. Best at night, so I can wear deodorant during the day. Also, not use same deodorant in one underarm as the other :-/ veryyyy contagious!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)