Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My daughter has ringworm on the underside of the top part of her arm. Last week she missed two days of school because she had strep throat (everyone in the house had it except for DH). Anyway, I've been putting some OTC cream on it for two days now. Today she tells me that the teacher hurt her feelings because she moved her desk away from the other kids and has made a point of telling them not to touch her. Apparently, I'm not supposed to send her to school while she has a ringworm. I really had no idea it was that big of a deal. I would never send her to school if she had head lice, the flu or strep. I didn't want her to miss anymore school. They also only have two weeks left of school, and they are doing all kinds of end of the year activities (she had a field trip last week and they are having field day and beach day tomorrow). So am I wrong in feeling like ringworm is just not that big of a deal? Would you freak out if you found out a student showed up to your child's class with ringworm?

by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Replies (41-50):
ButterflyGenie
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM
I had it once as a kid on my stomach. No idea how I got it. I was mostly an inside kid. I had one spot. I had to have rx cream went away in two days with the rx cream. My kids haven't had that joy yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hddcooper
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM
That's crazy they can take up to 2-4 weeks to clear and yes they are contagious but not harmful. Covering it should be sufficient. And telling others not to touch her is not very nice. I don't like when kids get their feelings hurt or embarrassed over something that is not their fault.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmymunchkins3
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Stop worrying about the stinking beach day you can take your child to the beach any day why not worry more about not giving it to her whole class.just because it isn't a big deal to you not everyone reacts the same way to things

Quoting motherslove82:

Ok. I will keep it covered tomorrow and Hopefully it will be gone by Monday. If not, I will take her to the doctor and get her something stronger. I really don't want her to miss anymore school and tomorrow is beach day/field day.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Your daughter may not have a bad reaction but another student may be more sensitive to an outbreak. Each person reacts differently to "rashes". Some people may not have a reaction at al to Poison ivy, oak, sumac, etc. Meanwhile another may be deathly allergic. So, while your daughter may just have a small reaction, another student may be susceptible to their entire body breaking out. It really is a bigger deal than you think.

Quoting motherslove82:

I'm not mad at the teacher, I just did not realize it was a big deal. I know it is contagious, but It's not bad. The worst that happens is that there is a little ringworm rash that may itch a little. It's not like head lice or an illness. I'll make sure she keeps it covered. I did tell her to wash her hands a lot and try not to touch it or anyone else.

Quoting ramonafrog:

You're suppose to cover it lightly with a band aid when sending her to school. It IS highly contagious. I dint see a problem with what the teacher said (having been in her shoes).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadeyazi
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM

ringworm is highly contagious, you should have called your doc and found out about it, OTC meds wont work as well as prescription..   I understand you not wanting her to miss out on end of the year fun, however  better safe then sorry..

luvmymunchkins3
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM
I had a girl in hs who had it she would touch it then touch people she gave it to a ton of people including me and stuff is no fun

Quoting ceemuhreeashbee:

Yeah, ringworm is highly contagious.. I still remember in hs when some westler had it.. and everyone who wrestled on that mat picked it up.. eeewwww.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM

She's already been treated for over 48 hours, so she is not longer contagious. Beach day may not be a big deal for you, but it is for her. I didn't say I didn't care or that it wasn't a big deal. I said I didn't realize it was SUCH a big deal. I know better now. I have already been treating her for it. I just did not realize that she needed to miss school.

Quoting luvmymunchkins3:

Stop worrying about the stinking beach day you can take your child to the beach any day why not worry more about not giving it to her whole class.just because it isn't a big deal to you not everyone reacts the same way to things

Quoting motherslove82:

Ok. I will keep it covered tomorrow and Hopefully it will be gone by Monday. If not, I will take her to the doctor and get her something stronger. I really don't want her to miss anymore school and tomorrow is beach day/field day.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Your daughter may not have a bad reaction but another student may be more sensitive to an outbreak. Each person reacts differently to "rashes". Some people may not have a reaction at al to Poison ivy, oak, sumac, etc. Meanwhile another may be deathly allergic. So, while your daughter may just have a small reaction, another student may be susceptible to their entire body breaking out. It really is a bigger deal than you think.

Quoting motherslove82:

I'm not mad at the teacher, I just did not realize it was a big deal. I know it is contagious, but It's not bad. The worst that happens is that there is a little ringworm rash that may itch a little. It's not like head lice or an illness. I'll make sure she keeps it covered. I did tell her to wash her hands a lot and try not to touch it or anyone else.

Quoting ramonafrog:

You're suppose to cover it lightly with a band aid when sending her to school. It IS highly contagious. I dint see a problem with what the teacher said (having been in her shoes).

motherslove82
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Thank you for being understanding.

Quoting hddcooper:

That's crazy they can take up to 2-4 weeks to clear and yes they are contagious but not harmful. Covering it should be sufficient. And telling others not to touch her is not very nice. I don't like when kids get their feelings hurt or embarrassed over something that is not their fault.

jadeyazi
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM

depending on wether or not it was on OTC or a prescription, OTC will take longer to take effect, anything she touched including sitting in the seats will be a possible contact point for other childern to catch the worm.  just be careful if it happens again and for your own safety get a doc note and send it with her to school.

hddcooper
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Ringworm of the Skin - Topic Overview
Most ringworm of the skin can be treated at home with creams you can buy without a prescription. Your rash may clear up soon after you start treatment, but it’s important to keep using the cream for as long as the label or your doctor says. This will help keep the infection from coming back. If the cream doesn't work, your doctor can prescribe pills that will kill the fungus.

If ringworm is not treated, your skin could blister, and the cracks could become infected with bacteria. If this happens, you will need antibiotics.

If your child is being treated for ringworm, you don't have to keep him or her out of school or day care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dsebastian23
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Yes because its contagious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN