Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My daughter has ringworm on the underside of the top part of her arm. Last week she missed two days of school because she had strep throat (everyone in the house had it except for DH). Anyway, I've been putting some OTC cream on it for two days now. Today she tells me that the teacher hurt her feelings because she moved her desk away from the other kids and has made a point of telling them not to touch her. Apparently, I'm not supposed to send her to school while she has a ringworm. I really had no idea it was that big of a deal. I would never send her to school if she had head lice, the flu or strep. I didn't want her to miss anymore school. They also only have two weeks left of school, and they are doing all kinds of end of the year activities (she had a field trip last week and they are having field day and beach day tomorrow). So am I wrong in feeling like ringworm is just not that big of a deal? Would you freak out if you found out a student showed up to your child's class with ringworm?

by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Replies (81-90):
hddcooper
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry, I meant to quote someone who referred to it as a worm , got a little irritated from all the over reacting statements. Sorry it's a ringworm not TB for good ness sakes.

Quoting motherslove82:

I know.

Quoting hddcooper:

And it's not cause from nor a type of worm. It's a fungus.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:37 PM
I think you are right but the ped said it was both. So I asked him why the same spot? He said the ezcema makes the skin more suspectible in that area. Okay...you are the doc and I have never had ringworm so idk. I think its just ezcema.

Quoting Apollos82:

It's actually probably just eczema too....ingest circular/ring patches of eczema all the time in the same spots over and over again. I've never had ringworm.

Quoting MicheleJM:

News to me about not sending your kid to school. Ds11 gets it on one spot the inner part of his thigh where he also has ecemza. Why only that patch I dont know...i get cream for both and it goes away.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
popomill
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Well, honestly I would freak our and be kinda mad if my son got ring worm from someone at his school. Keeping that in mind I also know a few people that have had ring worm, the only thing they had to do was keep some gauze taped over it and they were perfectly fine, you could even go swimming with ring worm, have nothing over it and be fine! So I suppose that if the person whom he got ring worm from wasn't doing anything to protect the other students I would be mad, but if that person was doing stuff to try to prevent the spread of it and my son still got it, I wouldn't be as mad. That would be like getting mad at someone for giving you a cold even though both of you washed your hands before and after interaction.

motherslove82
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I know antibiotics can make yeast grow. We are all eating yogurt for that. I had wondered if it might have made it easier to get ringworm.

Quoting Apollos82:

A little off topic, but I'd she was antibiotics for strep, her body might not be able to fight off the fungus as well. Make sure she isn't eating a lot of sugars and starches, that she gets plenty of water, and if you can, sneak in fresh garlic into her diet. It's antimicrobial and will help fight off the fungus from the inside.

And as a mother, I would simply advice my child not to touch yours until she was healed, an NOT to make fun of her.

motherslove82
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I was treating it. I know it can take a long time (weeks) to get over. They only have 2 weeks left of school, so I could not imagine that they wanted her to stay home that long. She missed two days last week because of strep throat. I didn't want her to get behind at the end of the year.

Quoting popomill:

Well, honestly I would freak our and be kinda mad if my son got ring worm from someone at his school. Keeping that in mind I also know a few people that have had ring worm, the only thing they had to do was keep some gauze taped over it and they were perfectly fine, you could even go swimming with ring worm, have nothing over it and be fine! So I suppose that if the person whom he got ring worm from wasn't doing anything to protect the other students I would be mad, but if that person was doing stuff to try to prevent the spread of it and my son still got it, I wouldn't be as mad. That would be like getting mad at someone for giving you a cold even though both of you washed your hands before and after interaction.

Apollos82
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Yup. Yeast and ringworm are both fungus...er....fungi? lol

Quoting motherslove82:

I know antibiotics can make yeast grow. We are all eating yogurt for that. I had wondered if it might have made it easier to get ringworm.

Quoting Apollos82:

A little off topic, but I'd she was antibiotics for strep, her body might not be able to fight off the fungus as well. Make sure she isn't eating a lot of sugars and starches, that she gets plenty of water, and if you can, sneak in fresh garlic into her diet. It's antimicrobial and will help fight off the fungus from the inside.

And as a mother, I would simply advice my child not to touch yours until she was healed, an NOT to make fun of her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Hey, as long as you treat it, whatever it is. :) which you do.

Quoting MicheleJM:

I think you are right but the ped said it was both. So I asked him why the same spot? He said the ezcema makes the skin more suspectible in that area. Okay...you are the doc and I have never had ringworm so idk. I think its just ezcema.

Quoting Apollos82:

It's actually probably just eczema too....ingest circular/ring patches of eczema all the time in the same spots over and over again. I've never had ringworm.

Quoting MicheleJM:

News to me about not sending your kid to school. Ds11 gets it on one spot the inner part of his thigh where he also has ecemza. Why only that patch I dont know...i get cream for both and it goes away.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoseWall
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM

talk to your school nurse or pedi. thats what i would do. the teacher probably could have handled that better by sending her to nurse or something. just my opinion.

popomill
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Quoting motherslove82:

I was treating it. I know it can take a long time (weeks) to get over. They only have 2 weeks left of school, so I could not imagine that they wanted her to stay home that long. She missed two days last week because of strep throat. I didn't want her to get behind at the end of the year.

Quoting popomill:

Well then no, I wouldn't get mad, you can't get mad if the person is treating it and someone still gets it (unless its like chicken pox or something where you have a time period that you are contagious and you still go out knowing this) For ringworm I think it's always contagious which is why you cover it up because the only way someone else can get it is by touching it. And yes, that would be horrible to miss even more days right at the end of the year when all the fun stuff is going on just because you have something that can be covered up and be safe.

ramonafrog
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Thats why I said "lightly". That way it can breath and heal. EVERY school I've EVER taught at or come across has this policy.

Quoting Jperry86:

Christ. YOU NEVER COVER UP RINGWORM. IT PROMOTES GROWTH. My daughter -just- got hers cleared up after 3 months. Her dad kept covering it up, until I got a doctor's note for it. It was a pain in the butt. The doc can prescribe a medication for it. You only have to prove you are medicating it twice a day and she will be able to join in.

Quoting ramonafrog:

You're suppose to cover it lightly with a band aid when sending her to school. It IS highly contagious. I dint see a problem with what the teacher said (having been in her shoes).

Eta: I wouldn't freak, as a parent. But I would ask questions to make sure preventive measures are being taken. Ringworm is highly contagious and can be very hard to treat...Speaking from experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)