Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm no longer making my 4 year old dinner..

Posted by   + Show Post

so over it.. he refuses to eat no matter what gets made. We had bbq cheese burgers tonight, he loves cheese burgers and 2 hours later its still sitting at the table and so is he.. picking at it (he hasn't been there for 2 hours just on and off because I refuse to make anything else)

So tomorrow I am not giving him a plate of dinner, just going to make him sit at the table with no food.

okay found a link to the video it was Dr Sears from the Doctors.

http://video.filestube.com/watch,f1911a7d79b14dd203ea/How-to-Handle-Picky-Eaters.html

by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
MyLittlePwny
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM
I don't agree with that but it's not my child. Hope it works.

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting MyLittlePwny:

It's illegal to refuse your child food. What I do with my four year old is put very small portions on her plate and offer it to her. If she doesn't eat ten she gets no snacks. It's pretty simple. She usually ends up going back to her plate and eating.

I'm not refusing him food.. if he asks for dinner he can have it but I'm not fixing him a plate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
indyb
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

My ds started doing that when he was about 4,  we would sit him down and he would eat what was in front of him or not eat,  he finaly started eating most of the time,  we don't have a problem now(he's 6 now) I think it was a phase

kcook55
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I make my kids whats for dinner you eat or or dont the only time i make something different is for dd but only when i made something shes allergic too. I had a really hard time with my son so now he has started waiting till 6:50 to eat than at 7 say whats for snack? the rules are you have 30 mins to eat after that you get no snack but i dont throw his food away till 7:40 when its bedtime

Mrs.Winchester
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting mommyof2soon29:

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting mommyof2soon29:

Maybe you can let him give you a hand when you cook, it'll make him feel special and maybe he will want to enjoy his "masterpiece"

he does like to help cook but I can't really let him bbq lol

Oh, do you BBQ every night?

this time of year we bbq probably 5-6 times a week yes.

Wow!  I love BBQ but apparently it's pretty bad for you.

I would give him two choices and ask which he would like.  Sometimes it helps for kids to feel like they have control.  Also limit snacks and liquids before dinner.  Maybe he's just not that hungry.

RHayden25
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM
I try to make at least one part of dinner that I know each DD will like. For instance I make a starch that at least one will like and a veggie that the other will like. I give them both a bit of everything and they can eat it or not, but at least I am 99% sure they will eat something. Not judging/bashing as I know how difficult little ones can be. Just wanted to share a tidbit of what I have tried. Sometimes they will eat what they like off their plates and then trade leftovers! My littlest loves meat and my eldest likes starches. Both are pretty good with fruit and veggies. Good luck!
addiecakesmommy
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Not something I would do but I don't think its a horrible idea! 

acaisha
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mrs.Winchester:

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting mommyof2soon29:

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting mommyof2soon29:

Maybe you can let him give you a hand when you cook, it'll make him feel special and maybe he will want to enjoy his "masterpiece"

I would give him two choices and ask which he would like.  Sometimes it helps for kids to feel like they have control.  Also limit snacks and liquids before dinner.  Maybe he's just not that hungry.

its only bad for you if you burn the food or eat tons of fatty meats..

acaisha
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Quoting RHayden25:

I try to make at least one part of dinner that I know each DD will like. For instance I make a starch that at least one will like and a veggie that the other will like. I give them both a bit of everything and they can eat it or not, but at least I am 99% sure they will eat something. Not judging/bashing as I know how difficult little ones can be. Just wanted to share a tidbit of what I have tried. Sometimes they will eat what they like off their plates and then trade leftovers! My littlest loves meat and my eldest likes starches. Both are pretty good with fruit and veggies. Good luck!

doesn't work.. it can be the same food he loves and he will still refuse to eat.

acaisha
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

whats not to agree with? we eat at the table family style.. all the food is on the table. If he wants food he can have it.. I'm tired of throwing a whole plate of food away.

Quoting MyLittlePwny:

I don't agree with that but it's not my child. Hope it works.

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting MyLittlePwny:

It's illegal to refuse your child food. What I do with my four year old is put very small portions on her plate and offer it to her. If she doesn't eat ten she gets no snacks. It's pretty simple. She usually ends up going back to her plate and eating.

I'm not refusing him food.. if he asks for dinner he can have it but I'm not fixing him a plate.

Mrs.Winchester
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting Mrs.Winchester:

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting mommyof2soon29:

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting mommyof2soon29:

its only bad for you if you burn the food or eat tons of fatty meats..

Well,  I'm not going to post all the "research" and hooplah.  There are plenty of other things to worry about that are worse than BBQ meat.  We're all going to get Cancer and die, anyways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN