Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm no longer making my 4 year old dinner..

Posted by   + Show Post

so over it.. he refuses to eat no matter what gets made. We had bbq cheese burgers tonight, he loves cheese burgers and 2 hours later its still sitting at the table and so is he.. picking at it (he hasn't been there for 2 hours just on and off because I refuse to make anything else)

So tomorrow I am not giving him a plate of dinner, just going to make him sit at the table with no food.

okay found a link to the video it was Dr Sears from the Doctors.

http://video.filestube.com/watch,f1911a7d79b14dd203ea/How-to-Handle-Picky-Eaters.html

by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Replies (31-40):
MyLittlePwny
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

You know, I'm trying not to be one of those women who would just bash you because I don't agree with a decision you've made.  Yet you can't just shut up and accept it.  Want to know my opinion?  I think it's fucked up to make your child ask you for a plate of dinner, while the rest of the family gets theirs handed to them and he has to sit there and watch everybody eat.  Sorry, eating dinner is not a privledge, it's a fucking right. 

Quoting acaisha:

whats not to agree with? we eat at the table family style.. all the food is on the table. If he wants food he can have it.. I'm tired of throwing a whole plate of food away.

Quoting MyLittlePwny:

I don't agree with that but it's not my child. Hope it works.

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting MyLittlePwny:

It's illegal to refuse your child food. What I do with my four year old is put very small portions on her plate and offer it to her. If she doesn't eat ten she gets no snacks. It's pretty simple. She usually ends up going back to her plate and eating.

I'm not refusing him food.. if he asks for dinner he can have it but I'm not fixing him a plate.

lvmy3lilones
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me...i dont understand these parents that will fix 2 dinners one for the family and one for the child thay dont eat what the rest of the family is eating...keep us posted please.and.let.us.no how thats working out.for.you good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I could never not feed my children. I don't think that would make me a very good person, let alone a crappy mom.

I also have a picky eater. I serve him what we eat, and if he doesn't eat it he doesn't get anything else. I don;t argue with him, or try to make him eat it...and I would never get into a stand off making him sit at the table. It's just simple the food he can eat, after that it's his choice.

Beauty91805
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM
Quoting MyLittlePwny:

It's illegal to refuse your child food. What I do with my four year old is put very small portions on her plate and offer it to her. If she doesn't eat then she gets no snacks. It's pretty simple. She usually ends up going back to her plate and eating.

I think she's going to wait until it's asked for, not necessarily withholding food from her child.
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
poshkat
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM
My DS used to do that too. The rule is try everything on your plate and if you don't like something you don't have to eat it. I once sat with him at the dinner table for 4 hours because he refused to taste spinach. All he had to do was take one teeny tiny bite to taste it. 4 hours later it was bed time. He ate it and went to bed. We have had no issue's since. I don't even bother with spinach anymore.

He used to also announce that he doesn't like things when he saw them at the table. I asked him how does he know he doesn't like them if he's never tasted them. He said he didn't know. I made him taste them and he ended up liking most things. We have tried letting him help with dinner but that didn't work and I'm a neat freak so it was stressful for both of us. Don't give in! Don't let him win.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JLo1486
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
His dinner is right in front of him and he's four yrs old. If he's hungry, he can grab his plate and make himself some food of what he wants. How is that denying him his "rights" to dinner?
Quoting MyLittlePwny:

You know, I'm trying not to be one of those women who would just bash you because I don't agree with a decision you've made.  Yet you can't just shut up and accept it.  Want to know my opinion?  I think it's fucked up to make your child ask you for a plate of dinner, while the rest of the family gets theirs handed to them and he has to sit there and watch everybody eat.  Sorry, eating dinner is not a privledge, it's a fucking right. 

Quoting acaisha:

whats not to agree with? we eat at the table family style.. all the food is on the table. If he wants food he can have it.. I'm tired of throwing a whole plate of food away.

Quoting MyLittlePwny:

I don't agree with that but it's not my child. Hope it works.

Quoting acaisha:

Quoting MyLittlePwny:

It's illegal to refuse your child food. What I do with my four year old is put very small portions on her plate and offer it to her. If she doesn't eat ten she gets no snacks. It's pretty simple. She usually ends up going back to her plate and eating.

I'm not refusing him food.. if he asks for dinner he can have it but I'm not fixing him a plate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm done with making food and doing laundry. At this point the heathens can fend for themselves. -____-
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kool_Aide
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Quoting acaisha:

I would shrug This off, she never has anything of substance to actually say. It's either pure shit or she just finds a picture online because she has lost the argument.
nikkik526
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Luckly I havent had this problem with my boys, they love everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifehappy
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I'm extremely liberal when it comes to meal-time.

My DH, DD, & I rarely eat the same thing at any given meal (DD has major sensory aversions to many foods, DH is vegan, and me...eh, not picky, but I keep things balanced).

I know that sometimes, I'm not hungry at dinner. So I don't eat. I definitely don't force my DD. She's not a snacker, either, so when she tells me she's hungry, or not, I believe her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)