Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Mommas that have children with extremely curly hair (added a different pic it is also on page #10)

Posted by   + Show Post

or mommas with extremely curly hair. I have a question but,first let me explain why I'm asking. Joey (soon to be 16 yr old) has blonde very tiny tight curls...he also has a lot of hair. It doesn't matter how short we cut it when it dries ( after a bath...etc) it goes "AFRO" on him. We've even tried growing it out because I have curly hair and if I let it get longer the weight pulls some of the curl out..no go. Doesn't work on Joey .

He has beautiful hair but it is un-manageable and is starting to drive us crazy! I bought him some of the oils that one of my co-workers said works wonders on her daughter's hair (her daughter is mixed) it almost worked but,not quite. Do any of you know of ANYTHING that would work on him?

Or are there any other products that I haven't tried yet? We would really rather not shave his head...He finally decided that he likes his hair ( help of his little "girlfriend") Now,we just need to make his hair look a little neater.

TIA.

I've switched out the picture...this is what I'm up against.

Second picture

"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."

by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:02 AM
Replies (51-60):
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Believe me his hair is all the same length. It's just a little below his ears.If we cut it too short(not buzz) he looks like a poodle. And yeah,he probably doesn't do everything he is supposed to with his hair. He will be 16 in June....I can't/shouldn't chase him down with a brush/comb/razor...etc.

Quoting mama_desi:

Well it looks like he needs it cut, it looks very uneven. Then use product to style it a litt so its not so frizzy and out of control. It wouldn't be so horrible but it looks like it doesn't get taken care of right. My daughter has hair like that she 5 or course not that short. So making sure that its cut right and using product(the right kind) makes the world of difference.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I know it sounds weird and if you're vegan this might not help, but honey in your diet does seem to calm the curl.

DS is really curl(where we call him Gene WIlder and Art Garfunkel when it gets long LOL).  And honey a few times a week, on pb or in tea, a few tablespoons.

I don't know where I heard it or why it works but it does calm the frizz anyway.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on May. 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Agreed. My daughter has spiral curly hair. She gets it from her dad.. I have to buy my curls...I just look at her and say "MAY YOUR KIDS STEAL YOURS"..He has GORGEOUS hair. Sorry I can't help..

Quoting brandyblx:

He doesn't want it almost shaved off. And (honestly) I love his hair....any woman I know would kill for it.

Quoting acrogodess:

soon to be 16? He looks as babyfaced as my 11 yr old! Why not just keep him with buzzcuts? It would be impossible to curl if it is just about shaved off.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM

That's ok. I've dealt with curly hair my whole life (my hair is curly;just not as curly as his) and I've done everything for his hair that I do for mine. It doesn't work,I think it's probably because his hair is thicker than mine.

Oh,and thanks. I love his hair too. He isn't it's biggest fan smile

Quoting lil_mama06:

Agreed. My daughter has spiral curly hair. She gets it from her dad.. I have to buy my curls...I just look at her and say "MAY YOUR KIDS STEAL YOURS"..He has GORGEOUS hair. Sorry I can't help..

Quoting brandyblx:

He doesn't want it almost shaved off. And (honestly) I love his hair....any woman I know would kill for it.

Quoting acrogodess:

soon to be 16? He looks as babyfaced as my 11 yr old! Why not just keep him with buzzcuts? It would be impossible to curl if it is just about shaved off.

What is the difference between a dog and a cat?

A dog lives in your house and sees that you give it food and water and
says to itself, "Wow, these beings give me food and water without my
having to do anything. They must be gods!"

A cat lives in your house and sees that you give it food and water and
says to itself, "Wow, these beings give me food and water without my
having to do anything. I must be a god!
"

crysjuls
by on May. 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Give him a fade. Or try using biosilk or a leave in conditioner. My cousin has hair like your sons. Lemme get a pic and post it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmiJanell
by on May. 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Moroccan oil works really great on curls.  And then make sure he uses a good shampoo and conditioner.  He may need a spray gel too.

I think haircuts like this look really good on men with curls (this guys aren't as tight, but it looks good with very curly hair too)

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM

If I can convince him we may actually try this one. Thanks

Quoting AmiJanell:

Moroccan oil works really great on curls.  And then make sure he uses a good shampoo and conditioner.  He may need a spray gel too.

I think haircuts like this look really good on men with curls (this guys aren't as tight, but it looks good with very curly hair too)

Insanity is hereditary.You get it from your KIDS!!!
(\ __/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

icon

This signature is very tall. Try to keep it shorter than this green section.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Well,let's see : We have tried almost every shampoo out there. The only "cleansing conditioner" that seems to work really well for him is Wen. It leaves his hair really soft and/or light. The Wen takes a little extra work though...and well,let's face it Joey is a boy. Not all that intrested in sitting around deep conditioning his hair LOL.

I have to admit I do chase him down at least twice a month and do a full treatment on him. Deep condition,massage into scalp (Wen)...etc. But,twice a month is PUSHING it. Are there any GOOD shampoos/conditioners that he could use the rest of the month?

Quoting AmiJanell:

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM

BUMP!

sarlove01
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:39 PM

guess it depends on where you live. I find it at Walgreens and CVS here in so california. but im sure you can get it on amazon, its amazing stuff and very nourishing! :) it is usually in a yellow bottle with purple top and writting :)

Quoting brandyblx:

Motions? Never heard of it.Where do they have it?

Quoting sarlove01:

tried a bit of mousse? or motions shampoo/conditioner? thats what i use on my mixed babies :)  um... also it helps when i blow dry the hair not let it air dry (on warm not hot) and there are curling serums. or "moon shine" . For the wiry hair though, motions is supposed to help smooth the hair shaft. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN