Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Mommas that have children with extremely curly hair (added a different pic it is also on page #10)

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:02 AM
  • 127 Replies

or mommas with extremely curly hair. I have a question but,first let me explain why I'm asking. Joey (soon to be 16 yr old) has blonde very tiny tight curls...he also has a lot of hair. It doesn't matter how short we cut it when it dries ( after a bath...etc) it goes "AFRO" on him. We've even tried growing it out because I have curly hair and if I let it get longer the weight pulls some of the curl out..no go. Doesn't work on Joey .

He has beautiful hair but it is un-manageable and is starting to drive us crazy! I bought him some of the oils that one of my co-workers said works wonders on her daughter's hair (her daughter is mixed) it almost worked but,not quite. Do any of you know of ANYTHING that would work on him?

Or are there any other products that I haven't tried yet? We would really rather not shave his head...He finally decided that he likes his hair ( help of his little "girlfriend") Now,we just need to make his hair look a little neater.

TIA.

I've switched out the picture...this is what I'm up against.

Second picture

"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."

by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CaptainFeast
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:05 AM

His hair looks like my brothers. It looks fine to me, have you tried just the barest bit of leave in conditioner?

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Hell,we even got him Wen. Yeah..this picture does not do his hair justice! It is huge. I'm still trying to find a picture of what it usually looks like.

It's thick,wiry and VERY curly. Little bitty tight curls. It would be ok if the curls actually stayed little...We live in Mississippi and it is always humid.He'll look ok half the day and the other half looking like he stuck his finger in the light socket.

Quoting CaptainFeast:

His hair looks like my brothers. It looks fine to me, have you tried just the barest bit of leave in conditioner?

acrogodess
by Lissette on May. 11, 2012 at 3:21 AM
soon to be 16? He looks as babyfaced as my 11 yr old! Why not just keep him with buzzcuts? It would be impossible to curl if it is just about shaved off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Joey is the one in white...see what I mean?

acrogodess
by Lissette on May. 11, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Ds's hair is prone to curl as well and gets very afro-poofy when it gets long. Not too bad here, but if it isn't brushed straight out the shower it poofs! He was 6 here. We don't keep his hair long right now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Lissette on May. 11, 2012 at 3:26 AM

This is last summer. We keep it close cut now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 3:26 AM

He doesn't want it almost shaved off. And (honestly) I love his hair....any woman I know would kill for it.

Quoting acrogodess:

soon to be 16? He looks as babyfaced as my 11 yr old! Why not just keep him with buzzcuts? It would be impossible to curl if it is just about shaved off.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 3:27 AM

BUMP!

acrogodess
by Lissette on May. 11, 2012 at 3:28 AM
Oh. I wish I had a better solution. Right now ds is sporting a faux hawk. With tresseme gel and hair spray we've managed to tame it some

Quoting brandyblx:

He doesn't want it almost shaved off. And (honestly) I love his hair....any woman I know would kill for it.

Quoting acrogodess:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Lissette on May. 11, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN