Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Mommas that have children with extremely curly hair (added a different pic it is also on page #10)

Posted by   + Show Post

or mommas with extremely curly hair. I have a question but,first let me explain why I'm asking. Joey (soon to be 16 yr old) has blonde very tiny tight curls...he also has a lot of hair. It doesn't matter how short we cut it when it dries ( after a bath...etc) it goes "AFRO" on him. We've even tried growing it out because I have curly hair and if I let it get longer the weight pulls some of the curl out..no go. Doesn't work on Joey .

He has beautiful hair but it is un-manageable and is starting to drive us crazy! I bought him some of the oils that one of my co-workers said works wonders on her daughter's hair (her daughter is mixed) it almost worked but,not quite. Do any of you know of ANYTHING that would work on him?

Or are there any other products that I haven't tried yet? We would really rather not shave his head...He finally decided that he likes his hair ( help of his little "girlfriend") Now,we just need to make his hair look a little neater.

TIA.

I've switched out the picture...this is what I'm up against.

Second picture

"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."

by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:02 AM
Replies (41-50):
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Not happening. I'd have to chase him around the house and make his daddy sit on him holding him down for that.

Quoting amanda357:

Doesnt Justin Timberlake have real curly hair?  Wonder what he does...

Honestly I'd shave it.

BUFFIE.the.BODY
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM
My 10 month old has long curly hair but i braid it or put it in a pony tail.

I use PINK HAIR MOISTURIZER its in a pink bottle
hollamissy
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Me and my girls have very curly hair. But my girls hair is like you sons when dry it looks frizzy. I use herbal essences Totally Twisted it is for curls and waves. Than I use olive oil organic kid gel. But they make it in a regular gel with olive oil in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
masonsmommy107
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:19 AM
I had curly hair like that when I was
Little all my mom could do was embrace the curl she put gel in it to keep it in place
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_2_be_2010
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Try infusium 23 with leave in conditioner
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aspiemom0203
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:44 AM
I kind of think it's cute, but if he's not comfortable with it I understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Winchester
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I think his hair looks fine.  It's not an "afro" IMO.  The curls do have definition and look healthy.  Choose your battles-  it could be WAYYY worse.

abbysmommy429
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM

This is my DD; her curls are crazy and everyday is a struggle to get them tamed. I have so many sprays, but most days they are just a mess. I use all of the California Baby products and a spray from PigTails and Crew Cuts.

PeachySweet2007
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

With curly hair, usually it needs ultra moisutre to control the curl and frizz.  My daughter has a jillion ringlets, very long and tightly curled.  To get it straight like the pic above, we have to blow it out and flat iron it, and we use some oil to keep it frizz free and shiny.  (in the lower pic, it's just been taken out of braids and finger combed out.  It's HUGE!!!)  I know he doesn't want it straight, but I'd still reccomend a light oil, coconut or the aragan oil, and then maybe a little gel on wet hair to set it.  I hear great things about keratin right now, too.  He'd be a perfect candadate for the Suave Keratin treatment because you have to have hair with no treatments or color on it to use it.  It's a smoothing treatment. 

mama_desi
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Well it looks like he needs it cut, it looks very uneven. Then use product to style it a litt so its not so frizzy and out of control. It wouldn't be so horrible but it looks like it doesn't get taken care of right. My daughter has hair like that she 5 or course not that short. So making sure that its cut right and using product(the right kind) makes the world of difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN