Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Drug education is schools

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

Much like sex education, it is increasingly clear that abstinence only teaching simply does not work. You can not tell today's youth "Drugs are bad do not do them and expect them to listen when they know a guy who lives by them that gets high or does X or cocaine at parties and is not out robbing old ladies and does not look like your archetypal "druggie". Should schools be more proactive in teaching kids the good and bad of drugs, giving them balanced information of the effects and side effects of drug use. Thus allowing them to make better informed decisions. Also teaching them the legal consequences of being caught with drugs, possibly having ex addicts come in and give talks. I mean as parents it falls to us primarily but not all parents have experience with drugs or the knowledge.

by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Beloved.
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

BUMP!

Hecate9
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM
They need to start by telling the truth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommynwife26
by Brianna on May. 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM
When I was in elementary school part of the dare program was having ex addicts coming in and talking with kids. I think its a good idea to show kids what could happen. Like the 15 faces of meth or what not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on May. 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM
I don't think it is the schools responsibility to teach our kids why not to do drugs. My fd is only 6 but when the time comes I will discuss that with her just like sex. With the drugs I will explain it all from legal concequences to physical consequences. I have no problem being 100% open with my kids about everything. I know at some point they will drink and most likely smoke pot as well as have sex before they turn 18 ( I hope not but it's reality). No matter what choices they makeits our responsibility arm them with as much info and advice that we can. Not leave it up to the schools to teach
christina0607
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I don't agree at all. I think the only drug education the schools need to be teaching is not to do them.

The good and the bad...you've got to be kidding.

elleinady
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Quoting christina0607:

I don't agree at all. I think the only drug education the schools need to be teaching is not to do them.

There are plenty of good benefits to drugs in a pharmaceutical treatment manner that many people use to cure a variety ailments in alternative treatment. Marijuana is great for cancer treatment. Some other drugs they are finding make amazing headway in solving depression, much more than Prozac and Zoloft. 

christina0607
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Quoting elleinady:

Quoting christina0607:

There are plenty of good benefits to drugs in a pharmaceutical treatment manner that many people use to cure a variety ailments in alternative treatment. Marijuana is great for cancer treatment. Some other drugs they are finding make amazing headway in solving depression, much more than Prozac and Zoloft. 

Prozac and Zoloft ARE pharmaceutical drugs. I don't agree with you about marijuana. When we're talking abot drug education we're talking about mostly meth, coke, bath sals, ecstacy...street drugs. what are the "good" in any of those?

Thank god I feel I can teach my kids about these things without schools and other adults. No thank you.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

elleinady
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting elleinady:

Quoting christina0607:

Prozac and Zoloft ARE pharmaceutical drugs. I don't agree with you about marijuana. When we're talking abot drug education we're talking about mostly meth, coke, bath sals, ecstacy...street drugs. what are the "good" in any of those?

Thank god I feel I can teach my kids about these things without schools and other adults. No thank you.

Dear lord the point went way over your head. They are finding that drugs like ketamine and ecstasy have enormous cancer remission and depression treatment benefits, far more than zoloft and prozac, when these drugs are used in a pharmaceutical setting. Read more. It's good for you.

MentorMom1
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I think drug education programs should be family-based, required for both parents and students. And the counselor in charge should conduct a program that addresses first and foremost the reasons why kids want numb their emotions with drugs in the first place.

We are only skimming the tip of the iceberg if we only address the horrible effects of drugs. Kids get hooked on drugs for a reason. Peer pressure may be their first introduction. But the kids who take the first puff or the first pill are hanging with losers with whom they identify. These are not the kids with healthy identities whose parents have nurtured healthy attachment from birth, open communication at home, and support for their personal interests and abilities. These are not the kids whose parents have been there, focused more on the childrens' needs more than on their own selfish addictions - including work - and other problems.

I think you can show kids all the pictures of dying addicts you want, but if they are so sad in their relationships and unable to express how they really feel, they are going to numb the pain, and they're going to do it no matter what.

What will help more than drug education is teaching families healthy communication and emotional expression. Also, all adults - parents, teachers, coaches, counselors, parents of friends, scout leaders, etc., all need to be watching for opportunities to connect and validate the good in kids. That one minute conversation could make all the difference between a child feeling worthless and trying drugs, and feeling like he matters and turning away.

Follow my blog at http://www.familyfieldguide.com/.  

christina0607
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Quoting elleinady:

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting elleinady:

Quoting christina0607:

Dear lord the point went way over your head. They are finding that drugs like ketamine and ecstasy have enormous cancer remission and depression treatment benefits, far more than zoloft and prozac, when these drugs are used in a pharmaceutical setting. Read more. It's good for you.

I think you are absolutely insane if you would want the schools teaching your kids the benefits of using ecstasy. Period.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN