Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Atheists, who will comfort us?

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM
  • 56 Replies

As thinking human beings at one time or another we are all faced with the reality that one day we will die. We are always aware that we will die, but there are moments when the thought occupies your mind. I felt that way last night. I try to live in the moment, but all it takes is a graduation or a birthday to leave you thinking "where did the time go?" I know many Atheists believe in some sort of an afterlife, but many do not. I believe our energy is transferred but that the consciousness no longer belongs to us. This is not as comforting as the belief of some paradise that I will get to live in for all eternity and wait for my loved ones in. :(

It's certainly not very comforting being an Atheist. I sat there last night thinking about how fast the past 35 years has gone by, and how much faster it seems to go by every year. Thinking about the great surprise party I had for my birthday one year, my god was that really 10 years ago?

I laid there thinking about how one day I'm just going to be gone. Maybe another 35 or 40 years from now, maybe next year who knows? I won't get to miss anyone, because I will just cease to exist. It's so sad nothing matters, but living right now and most of the time we live to plan for the future. When you are someone who believes in after life, there is always a future. For the rest of us....nothing. Wasting time being sad about it only takes up more precious time with the ones we love, but there are days when I just can't help it. There is no one to comfort the Atheist. There is nothing anyone can say to take that sadness away. I love my life, and one day it's just going to be over. 

by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amiehart62
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:27 PM
No one knows exactly what happens after we die. But there have been too many similar near death experiences that point to an after life that isn't terrible.....for all beliefs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesAndNicksMom
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't believe in an afterlife and I hope that when I'm dying I will be comforted by the knowledge that I had a good life :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lynnd4
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM
I personally believe in an afterlife, so I'm not much help. Your life may be physically over, but I don't believe we ever really leave this earth. We all have impact on those around us. These impacts live on and are passed from generation to generation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KitschyGirl
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Quoting Amiehart62:

No one knows exactly what happens after we die. But there have been too many similar near death experiences that point to an after life that isn't terrible.....for all beliefs.

But my point is when you do not believe in after life, it's a very uncomfortable thing to think about.

Photobucket   Photobucket

Be kind to me or treat me mean, I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine.

KitschyGirl
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

I don't believe in an afterlife and I hope that when I'm dying I will be comforted by the knowledge that I had a good life :)

But there is no knowledge, if there is nothing. Completely out of your control. All this work and one day it's just over. You don't know when or where or if you will even see it coming....just done.

Be kind to me or treat me mean, I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine.

WesAndNicksMom
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:34 PM
I meant during the actual dying if I'm lucid enough. I know there's no thought or anything after (I'm not afraid of being dead, just getting there lol

Quoting KitschyGirl:

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

But there is no knowledge, if there is nothing. Completely out of your control. All this work and one day it's just over. You don't know when or where or if you will even see it coming....just done.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

Exactly. We have to get it right this time, which means loving and living more and stressing less. LOL. =D

KitschyGirl
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I just feel like I don't want to stop living. I don't mind being 35, I'm not afraid of 40 or 50 but 68....75...80. Loosing my memory, my health, my ability to do things for myself. Getting to the point where I no longer want to be around anymore? Ugh, I don't want that. But the alternative if being taken quickly before your time. LOL I"m not having a good day.

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

I meant during the actual dying if I'm lucid enough. I know there's no thought or anything after (I'm not afraid of being dead, just getting there lol

Quoting KitschyGirl:

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

christina0607
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't feel sad at all that I will die some day. Nor will I need comfort after death. I'll be dead, that's it.

When I die I will have all that matters with me....after that there isn;t anything anyway. So I don't feel the need to wish there was more.

momma-flynn
by ♥Gee Willickers♥ on May. 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM

You need to cheer up & have a happy birthday woman! This shit is depressing. If you don't beleive in an afterlife, then what about focusing on the legacy that you want to leave behind?  

Quoting KitschyGirl:

I just feel like I don't want to stop living. I don't mind being 35, I'm not afraid of 40 or 50 but 68....75...80. Loosing my memory, my health, my ability to do things for myself. Getting to the point where I no longer want to be around anymore? Ugh, I don't want that. But the alternative if being taken quickly before your time. LOL I"m not having a good day.

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

Quoting KitschyGirl:

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN