Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

As thinking human beings at one time or another we are all faced with the reality that one day we will die. We are always aware that we will die, but there are moments when the thought occupies your mind. I felt that way last night. I try to live in the moment, but all it takes is a graduation or a birthday to leave you thinking "where did the time go?" I know many Atheists believe in some sort of an afterlife, but many do not. I believe our energy is transferred but that the consciousness no longer belongs to us. This is not as comforting as the belief of some paradise that I will get to live in for all eternity and wait for my loved ones in. :(

It's certainly not very comforting being an Atheist. I sat there last night thinking about how fast the past 35 years has gone by, and how much faster it seems to go by every year. Thinking about the great surprise party I had for my birthday one year, my god was that really 10 years ago?

I laid there thinking about how one day I'm just going to be gone. Maybe another 35 or 40 years from now, maybe next year who knows? I won't get to miss anyone, because I will just cease to exist. It's so sad nothing matters, but living right now and most of the time we live to plan for the future. When you are someone who believes in after life, there is always a future. For the rest of us....nothing. Wasting time being sad about it only takes up more precious time with the ones we love, but there are days when I just can't help it. There is no one to comfort the Atheist. There is nothing anyone can say to take that sadness away. I love my life, and one day it's just going to be over. 

by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Replies (41-50):
KittenKrump
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Are you new to your atheism? I only ask because those feelings were what plauged me the most when I first realized that there was no god. I understand the pain and confusion, but with time, it gets easier to realize that our life is our experiences. If the heaven of Christianity existed... Well, that thought depresses me. To be perfectly honest, the idea of eternity scared me more than any imagery of Hell ever cooked up at church. I'm not sure what scared me so much about it. And if you're not new but just having an off day, I've been there, just gotta muddle through it until something lifts your spirits :) The funk probably won't last more than a day, maybe two if it's really bad.

kansasmom1978
by Katie on May. 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I believe in heaven

waffa
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

If you believe in an afterlife then you aren't a true Atheist, not sure if you're thinking Atheist instead of Agnostic...

IMO as an Atheist there is nothing when you die other than you cease to exist; no "afterlife" nothing but nothingness.

alwayskk
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't feel that way, honestly. It isn't disconcerting to me to think that one day, I will die, cease to exist, and that there is nothing afterwards. It just is. I take comfort in the fact that I existed, that I got the chance, that I lived and made memories, and that I contributed to the only thing that is real: this life. I'm not sure what you meant by, "Its so sad nothing matters." I do not feel that way at all. I feel that it matters. Life matters.

TugBoatMama
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM
We all think about our own imminent death. Its normal. But I can't allow the beauty of my life to be darkened by the looming promise of death. I try to live in the moment and savor what I can of my kids while they are small. I can only hope to live a long and contented life. Because nobody will get out of here alive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MammaPaparazza
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM
My dh is atheist, and he says, he just doesn't care that when its over its over...and that bothers me soooo much. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2012 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I am agnostic and your post is my main reason for wondering if religion is just a comfort measure. It's nice to think we will see loved ones again and while we're here and they are not that they are taken care of. On the flip side, it's also another reason why I'm agnostic because I truly feel that anything is possible. Think about airplaines. That seems totally impossible but we found a way to do it. Our brains aren't capable of knowing what is out there or how things work. We still have debates about the basics, nevermind the afterlife or lack of.

I would take comfort knowing that death is peaceful. Just like going in for surgery. One minute you're there and the next your not. You have no thoughts or recollections.

KitschyGirl
by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Atheism just means no God. It has nothing to do with the belief of an afterlife.

Quoting waffa:

If you believe in an afterlife then you aren't a true Atheist, not sure if you're thinking Atheist instead of Agnostic...

IMO as an Atheist there is nothing when you die other than you cease to exist; no "afterlife" nothing but nothingness.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KitschyGirl
by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM
I'm not new to atheism. I just had kind of a big birthday and it made me face my mortality.

Quoting KittenKrump:

Are you new to your atheism? I only ask because those feelings were what plauged me the most when I first realized that there was no god. I understand the pain and confusion, but with time, it gets easier to realize that our life is our experiences. If the heaven of Christianity existed... Well, that thought depresses me. To be perfectly honest, the idea of eternity scared me more than any imagery of Hell ever cooked up at church. I'm not sure what scared me so much about it. And if you're not new but just having an off day, I've been there, just gotta muddle through it until something lifts your spirits :) The funk probably won't last more than a day, maybe two if it's really bad.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doomshroom
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I'm an atheist, and the thought of my life simply ceasing to exist actually is more comforting to me than the thought of an afterlife. There is no sadness, no guilt, no worry, no confusion after death. The only part of dying that I find terribly sad is that I will be leaving my son without his mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)