Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Locks of Love Controversy

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM
  • 14 Replies

My local news did a story on Locks of Love tonight and everyone was chimingon FB about what a great organization they are and such.  I thought I remembered it being reported that LOL of sells the hair they get and don't use it all to supply wigs to children with cancer.  I tried looking it up but all I can find are weird blogs and nothing reliable.  Does anyone else remember this?

by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:04 PM
They do not give free wigs to children with cancer because the demand is too high and those girls can regrow their hair after their chemotherapy treatments. The wigs are for the children who can not regrow their hair due to burns and other conditions such as alopecia. It makes sense when you stop back and think it through. The cancer children can get synthetic wigs though.

Also they charge on a sliding scale for those who do not qualify for free wigs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
js321
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM
I'm a hairdresser. we stopped supporting LOL when we were advised that thy were selling the hair. why should we offer free haircuts when it's a fraud ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Don't they sell the "unusable" hair to financially support the charity? That's what I read.

Quoting js321:

I'm a hairdresser. we stopped supporting LOL when we were advised that thy were selling the hair. why should we offer free haircuts when it's a fraud ?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:10 PM
They actually have a great facts section on their site.

http://www.locksoflove.org/faq.html#Aa8

Sorry I don't know how to make it clickable from my iPad. If someone does know how though I would LOVE to know!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemom1208
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I always paid for my hair cuts when donating.

Quoting js321:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM
They need 10" to make a wig. Not everyone sends in 10" (some can't grow it that long) so they sell the shorter hair to help with costs. DD donated 10" in January. It took a year and a half to grow it that long. I saw on FB that my friend's son donated about 5" so I'm sure that was sold. DD has started growing her hair again, she wants to donate more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jess80
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Me too

Quoting singlemom1208:

I always paid for my hair cuts when donating.

Quoting js321:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laughing-matter
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM
There is no controversy. if they can't use they should make profit from it. those wigs cost thousands and they're giving them out free or at a very low cost.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:20 PM
That's why I donated my hair to Wigs for Kids instead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laughing-matter
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Who adviced you and why is it a fraud? do you know it takes about 6, 10 in., pieces of hair to make ONE wig?

Quoting js321:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN