Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What would the world be like

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:20 PM
  • 21 Replies

I just have a thought. It can be a debate if you want.

What would the world be like if ALL drugs were legal. I don't mean the prescribed ones. I mean like Heroine...Cocaine...Crack...ALL of them.

I mean look at prohibition. There weren't less drunks....there were more SECRET drunks....a lot of the old gang element fizzled when prohibition ended...etc.

So honestly. Not gut instinct. Not knee jerk reaction. What would it really really be like.

Would there be MORE drug addicts? Or more that are willing to be open enough to get the help they need? Would the gangs fizzle? I mean if all they had were guns to peddle wouldn't they lose some money?

by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on May. 11, 2012 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

People would be even more stupid, and legally at that....no thanks, there's enough stupid people!

.Beloved.
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM

BUMP!

Mrs.BAT
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that if drugs and alcohol were always viewed as either being sacred, or no big deal, there wouldn't be nearly as many addicts. I think making something taboo/evil/bad in people's minds causes them to be more prone to abuse substances. Sure, there will always be people  who abuse things, but when something is forbidden, it gets more attention because people want to know what the big deal is. People want what they are told they can't or shouldn't have. Think about kids. You tell your child (as an example) to not eat the cookies, they can't have a cookie until after dinner, etc., they're probably going to want that cookie even more. Adults are no different. Tell 1,000 people they can't have a burger, I'd be willing to bet that a fair number of them would find a way to have one anyway.

MrsClark816
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM
I disagree. Countries where street drugs are legal have less violent crimes, and lower crime rates in general.

Once things become legal, the thrill iis gone. With proper education, I think it could work.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

People would be even more stupid, and legally at that....no thanks, there's enough stupid people!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahLizyB
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM
There would be a lot more drug addicts, that's for sure
AF2011
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM
I think a lot more people would be addicted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
If we could collect taxes on the drug sales, that would be great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hddcooper
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Maybe some would be ok but most are just way to harmful. Alot of people would still steal to buy em legal or not. So IMHO I do not think it would be a good idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM

i think those that are already addicts would hit rock bottom faster, and some would become addicts, but most wouldn't even try still. I think that families would be more aware of  what was going on with those that were already addicts and possibly intervene more easily because the addict doesn't have to hide it as much. I dunno, these are all just thoughts.

hddcooper
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Because there is no one to be violent with cause they are all broke cause they spend every penny on drugs!!!

Quoting MrsClark816:

I disagree. Countries where street drugs are legal have less violent crimes, and lower crime rates in general.

Once things become legal, the thrill iis gone. With proper education, I think it could work.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN