Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

record players and cassette tapes--No microwaves yet, what was cable?  that was unheard of-and no computers in the house and still learned typing with a type writer in school-also banana seat bikes and penny candy actually was a penny--I did--

Anyone else?

by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
DutchMama2010
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Me too! Boy would people flip out about those now a days!!!

Quoting lifeisajoy:

Ditto!! Did all of that too!! I loved all of that you said!! and loved those candy cigarettes

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

yes I did I also smoked candy cigarettes, walked to school without my mother, came in when they street lights came on, and caught fireflies in an old mayonnaise jar.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hp2011
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

cassette tapes, yes.

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes-no cordless phones and also 8 tracks 

Quoting spicy_n_sweet:

Record players

8 Tracks

Cassettes

No Microwave. 

No Cable

No Cordless phones (much less cell phones)

No personal home computers

I could go on.. lol    I think there has been an amazing amount of technological advancement and changes over the past 30 years . So I think those of us in our 40's and up probably have a long list of things like this.

kansasmom1978
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM

My mom had a record player and I had cassette tapes. I think we got a microwave when I was in middle school. I remember when my parents split the only tv we had was black and white and we got whatever channels the antenna picked up. But was cuz mom was broke. It was the mid 80s.  I learned to type on a typewriter and later a computer. I had a banana bike seat and remember penny candy. Bonkers candy. Cinnamon toothpicks. Garbage Pail Kids.

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM
TV's had no remotes, sat in front of fans and practiced saying "Luke, I am your father", rollerskates attached to your shoes with a key
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Rode bike with no helmet, played in the ran, caught bugs and snakes and did not worry. Stayed home alone a lot. Swam in the river.

Quoting DutchMama2010:

Me too! Boy would people flip out about those now a days!!!

Quoting lifeisajoy:

Ditto!! Did all of that too!! I loved all of that you said!! and loved those candy cigarettes

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

yes I did I also smoked candy cigarettes, walked to school without my mother, came in when they street lights came on, and caught fireflies in an old mayonnaise jar.

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM

they are one long seat on a bike--

Quoting 1stpreggers:

We had cassettes, VHS, microwaves, computer and a type writer. No idea what a banana seat is. I'm 25

rainbow.mama
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Everything but two. We were the first house in the neighborhood with cable and a microwave. I had lots of friends that year. I am 32.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelove211
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Yep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sam12796
by Sandy on May. 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to love finding old cans from soda and beer and trading them in for penny candies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)