Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you get offended?

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM
  • 49 Replies

..if someone told you that the food you feed your pet is NOT a good, healthy, food?

I had a friend on FB ask what was the BEST food to feed her bulldog puppy. I suggested Blue Buffalo (which is what we feed our cat), Innova, Wellness, and a couple other grain free, by product free, or holistic foods.

I also posted what other brands (Purina, Science Diet, ect) have in them & a link explaining why it isn't good to feed your pets animal by-products, meat & bone meal, animal digest, corn, ect. and it seems like a LOT of people got offended when I said Purina Puppy Chow is not the BEST food.

I'm not saying your a bad owner, but I dont think a lot of people know what exactly is in these "name brand" dog foods like Hill's, Purina, Ol Roy, ect.

It is just MY honest opinion, but if ANY vet recommends this, then you should probably seriously reconsider changing your vet.

http://recipes4gourmetdogs.com/2011/08/worst-dog-food-brands/

These are in Purina Dog Chow alone:

BEEF AND BONE MEAL (protein source):

A byproduct made from beef parts which are not suitable for human consumption.

It can incorporate the entire cow, including the bones, but the quality cuts of meat are always removed.

This is an inexpensive, low quality ingredient used to boost the protein percentage.

MEAT BY-PRODUCT (protein source):

Pet grade meat by-products consist of organs and parts either not desired, or condemned, for human consumption.

This can include bones, blood, intestines, lungs, ligaments, heads, feet, and feathers. – This can also include the dreaded 4 D’s – ( Dead, dying, diseased or dying prior to slaugther). 

The animal parts used can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination. 

Any kind of animal can be included: goats, pigs, horses, rats, misc. roadkill, animals euthanized at shelters and so on. It can also include pus, cancerous tissue, and decomposed (spoiled) tissue.

dog food secrets
MEAT AND BONE MEAL (protein source):

The animal parts used can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: “4-D animals” (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), goats, pigs, horses, rats, misc. roadkill, animals euthanized at shelters and so on.

It can also include pus, cancerous tissue, and decomposed (spoiled) tissue. 

dog food secrets
BEEF TALLOW (fat source):

Used to make lower quality dog foods palatable, instead of using quality fat sources such as nutritionally rich chicken fat, or human grade vegetable oil. 

dog food secrets
ANIMAL FAT (fat source):

Animal fat is a “generic” fat source that is most often made up of rendered animal fat, restaurant grease, or other oils too rancid or deemed inedible for humans.

Look for a named fat source, such as poultry or chicken fat, that is naturally preserved. 

dog food secrets
CORN (filler/fibre source/vegetable):

*NOTE: no redeemable nutritious value in any dog food listing this as their first ingredient. It is a useless filler that is a known cause of allergies and is difficult for dogs to digest. 

dog food secrets
CORN OR WHEAT GLUTEN MEAL (Binder):

This is the remainder of the corn after the best parts of the corn have been removed.

It does absolutely nothing for the animal and actually is difficult to digest and is used as a cheap binder. 

dog food secrets
WHEAT FLOUR (fibre source):

Wheat is the leading cause of dog allergies. Absolutely useless with no nutritional value whatsoever. 

This is the fine particles of wheat bran, wheat germ, and the offal from the “tail of the mill.” “Tail of the mill” means the floor sweepings of leftovers in the mill after everything has been processed from the wheat.

FOOD FRAGMENTS (filler/fibre source/carbohydrate source):

Low cost by-products and left overs from another food manufacturing process. Examples include WHEAT MIDDLINGS AND SHORTS, (Floor sweepings), WHEAT GERM MEAL, WHEAT BRAN and BREWER’S RICE (a waste product of the alcohol industry).

Also look for and avoid fragments which are labelled POTATO PRODUCT, MIDDLINGS/MIDS or MILL RUN of any kind.

Unspecified grain sources like :CEREAL FOOD FINES, CORN BRAN, OAT HULLS, RICE HULLS, PEANUT HULLS, DISTILLERS GRAIN FERMENTATION SOLUBLES, and last but not least CELLULOSE (which is wood which is dried and ground up) 

*NOTE: These ingredients listed above are all ALLOWED AS ACCEPTABLE INGREDIENTS IN THE AAFCO GUIDELINES!!!!!!

dog food secrets
SOY FLOUR (filler/carbohydrate):

Another cheap allergy causing ingredient used as a filler. This is the leftover “dust” after the healthy cleaned and dehulled soybeans are processed. Sometimes sweepings from the factory floor. 

dog food secrets
BREWER’S RICE (carbohydrate source):

A cheap substitute for whole grain rice. 

dog food secrets
SUGAR (flavour soure) :

Also listed as Cane molasses , corn syrup in any form, sugar, sorbitol, sucrose, fructose, glucose, ammoniated glycyrrhizin, propylene glycol.) : Useless, uneccessary and adds empty calories. Bad ingredients used by companies to make food more palatable to the animals if the ingredients themselves aren’t enough to make the dog or cat actually want to eat it.

Used to cover up rotten and rancid foods, and is known to cause hypoglycemia, obesity, nervousness, cataracts, tooth decay, arthritis and allergies. 

dog food secrets
ANIMAL DIGEST(flavouring agent):

Unspecified parts of unspecified animals, cooked down into a goopy broth (rendered) and used as a spray on or added directly to the food.

The grease that rises to the top is used as a source of fat and the rest of the mash is dried and used as “meat meal”.

No quality control is used and this can include “4-D animals” (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), goats, pigs, horses, rats, misc. roadkill, animals euthanized at shelters, restaurant and supermarket refuse and so on.

dog food secrets
COLOURING (Blue 2, Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Titanium Dioxide):

Any colouring is completely unnecessary and should be avoided. Your dog doesn’t care about the pretty coloured shapes, and artifical dyes and colouring agents are known cancer causing agent, and also causes allergies.

Used in “junk dog food”.

dog food secrets
PROPYLENE GLYCOL (additive):

Used in antifreeze solutions, in hydraulic fluids, and as a solvent. May be toxic if consumed in large amounts, and should definitely not be an ingredient in a food an animal will eat daily for weeks, months or even years of its life. This is not allowed for use in Europe as the findings have shown it to be dangerous.

dog food secrets
BHA (Butylated Hydroxysanisole), BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene), and ETHOXYQUIN (Preservatives):

Banned from human use in many countries but still permitted in the US. Possible human carcinogen, apparently carcinogenic in animal experiments.

Ethoxyquin has also been used as a pesticide for fruit. It has never been proven to be safe for the lifespan of a companion animal.

It has been linked to thyroid, kidney, reproductive and immune related illnesses as well as cancer.

dog food secrets
HYDROCHLORIC ACID:

Used in Kibbles n Bits – I really can’t find out why they use it but it is a caustic chemical agent used in the production of chlorides, fertilizers, and dyes. Hydrochloric acid can cause immediate pain and burns of the mouth, throat, esophagus and gastrointestinal tract. Simple common sense would indicate not to use this as a pet food ingredient! 

by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahLizyB
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM
I would not be offended. Im pretty sure nobody would say that because my doggie eats better than I do. Lol. He's on a raw, grain free diet
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on May. 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM
No because not everyone can afford the expensive stuff and not every animal can eat what ppl think is the best An some lets are picky and will only eat what they know or like so even if you wanted to switch them it doesn't always go the way you plan
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 12, 2012 at 12:18 AM
2 moms liked this

No I wouldn't. People look for stupid reasons to be offended now a days.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Quoting Fields456:

No because not everyone can afford the expensive stuff and not every animal can eat what ppl think is the best An some lets are picky and will only eat what they know or like so even if you wanted to switch them it doesn't always go the way you plan

Right I understand that. Lord knows I wanted my cat on raw & he just would NOT eat it. lol

But if someone says, "What is the best I can give my pet" & someone says Pedigree.. I have to jump in & say something. :/  If its all you can afford, or if thats all your dog will eat, thats one thing. But saying its THE best food out there is something totally different.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Quoting SarahLizyB:

I would not be offended. Im pretty sure nobody would say that because my doggie eats better than I do. Lol. He's on a raw, grain free diet

I wanted Kovu to eat raw. We tried like 4 different brands before I gave up. He eats Blue Buffalo Wilderness now. Picky kitty.

LexRi0709
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM
I've had 4 different vets tell me that dog chow is fine. My sister takes her dogs to a holistic vet who told her if she puts her dogs on a raw meat diet it needs to be supplimented with bone meal. Vets are drs. They all have their own opinions on studies that have been done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on May. 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

My dogs and cats eat the costco brand which isn't in the bottom 10 unless I forget and we run out I grab whatever till I can make it into town to the store. Also my kitties are All outside and have a nice balanced diet of bugs mice and snakes so they are getting plenty of protein lol
Mrs.Winchester
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

First of all I have to ask what kind of cat is that in the picture?  I have only seen that pattern in grey.  What a beautiful coat it has.

Second,  I don't have any cats or dogs so I don't really need to remember this information,  but I do agree with it.  Most of the foods on the market for HUMANS are not that great, either.   Try arguing that one with people.

lilmomma232010
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM

we feed mickey nutro max wet food for puppys right now, when he gets a lil bigger we are going with nutro max for large breed puppy dry food

baby

usmc.momma
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM
2 moms liked this
As soon as DH gets his promotion my dog will be transitioning to BB. She will eat anything put in front of her, granted her birthday cake made her sick but she loves food. Period!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)