Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Kindle Fire & iPod touch

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter just recently received a Kindle fire for her birthday.  Not from me.  I and my husband had planned on buying her an iPod touch instead.  We didn't buy it for her, we got her something smaller instead.

She loves her Kindle Fire, but I would love for her to have something smaller to carry around that isn't quite so heavy.  

Do you think I would be completely overdoing it by getting her the iPod touch also?  

Yes, I know.  So spoiled, but she is a great kid & has to earn all her electronic playing time.  It's not like I let her play on it constantly.

My main issue, after spending the day shopping with her yesterday, was that she brought her Kindle Fire with her and I ended up having to carry it in my purse.  That wasn't fun at all.

So...am I crazy?  What would you do?

by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
yayay15
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Get it. Do whatever you want.

My 11 year old nephew has 2 iPod touches, a Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3 DS, iPad, xbox/kinect, playstation 3, wii, a $4000 piano.....he's spoiled and he's a good kid. Plays sports and does good in school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaitalynn
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Don't get it. Find her a backpack and she can carry it herself if she wants to bring it with her. Besides, if you get her one it would be somewhat overshadowing the person who bought the kindle fire's gift. And you don't want that to happen. Besides-no kid needs that much technology.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM

its NOT over the top and its NOT about being spoiled.. my DS has iPod with no camera (he got for his 2nd birthday) the iPod with the camera lat year and for his 3rd birthday he got an iPad and his 4th birthday he got a laptop.  i think its totally normal with a kindle and an iPod, BTW my DS will be 5 in Aug.

do whatever you feel like it, and if ppl say its too much they are just green with envy.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Get her her own purse.

Quoting SimplyLoula:

My daughter just recently received a Kindle fire for her birthday.  Not from me.  I and my husband had planned on buying her an iPod touch instead.  We didn't buy it for her, we got her something smaller instead.

She loves her Kindle Fire, but I would love for her to have something smaller to carry around that isn't quite so heavy.  

Do you think I would be completely overdoing it by getting her the iPod touch also?  

Yes, I know.  So spoiled, but she is a great kid & has to earn all her electronic playing time.  It's not like I let her play on it constantly.

My main issue, after spending the day shopping with her yesterday, was that she brought her Kindle Fire with her and I ended up having to carry it in my purse.  That wasn't fun at all.

So...am I crazy?  What would you do?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by Lori on May. 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I don't think there is a need for both honestly. Is the fire THAT heavy??

00jess
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I don't even know what a kindle is but if it's that heavy get her the iPod for on the go and the kindle can stay home?

Do what you feel is best for your dd and what you can afford.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM

You could.  With the iPod Touch you can also download the Kindle app and it should be able to link with the Fire so she can keep up with the book she's currently reading.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

jillbailey26
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

its NOT over the top and its NOT about being spoiled.. my DS has iPod with no camera (he got for his 2nd birthday) the iPod with the camera lat year and for his 3rd birthday he got an iPad and his 4th birthday he got a laptop.  i think its totally normal with a kindle and an iPod, BTW my DS will be 5 in Aug.

do whatever you feel like it, and if ppl say its too much they are just green with envy.

Why does it have to be that they're envious?  Why can't it just be that they have different priorities and standards for their kids?

My kids are 9, 8 and 4 and the iPod they use is mine and strictly monitored.  The laptop they use is ours (us parents') and they're only allowed to use it twice a week for an hour each time.  I wouldn't dream of buying them their own laptop, iPad or iPod until they're much older.  That is our standard.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)