Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone Know anybody who had a brain injury?

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM
  • 57 Replies

Did they recover? how long did it take? were they the same person after they healed?

by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2boy2girl
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM

My FIL suffered a brain injury while he was in the Army. He has never fully recovered. He has a 30% service connected disability. It hasn't affected anything but his personality (although he was in a coma for 6 weeks). He is different, when talking to him you can tell something is wrong. He also has anger issues and he doesn't have what I like to call the "Shut up" filter (that part that tells you that you shouldn't say whatever comes to your mind).

TessB
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM
I had a tbi when I was younger. It took about 6 months to recover. I was basically the same, although I have no idea if any issues I have now are connected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM
My friend's husband was hit by a van when he was waiting on his motorcycle to turn into his driveway. He honestly has never been the same. It happened two years ago, and he had a complete personality change from the damage to his brain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hddcooper
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM
My daughter went to school with a child who suffered a brain injury after ATV accident. Took a few months to recover I believe. And she said he acted a little different. I spoke with his mother once a she said he was a little meaner. But that coulda been ago too lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AHmom103
by Alexis on May. 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM

My BIL had a severe brain injury, resulting from wrecking his ATV while drunk. He was in a coma for about 2 months, and in the hospital for almost 4 months, and they had to use some experimental methods to save his life. He is VERY lucky to be alive. It's been almost 4 years since his accident, and he is mostly functional now. He has had some very drastic personality changes, the biggest one being that he no longer has an addictive personality, thank God. Also, he seems to be on the level of about an 8-10 year old with certain things. Most things do seem to be pretty much normal for him though. He also has a lot of pain, from his back injury, and he gets severe headaches that are supposedly from the shunt in his head. Over all, I'd say he has probably had a very successful recovery, based on the severity of his injuries.

fireeyes81
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM

My dad was hit by a car when he was 16. Apparently he was on a bike and when the car hit him the wheel threw him into a telephone pole, head first.  He had a metal plate placed inside his head and he was in a coma for nearly 6 months.  Though I didn't know him before the accident, my whole family says he was different before it happened.  He gets mad really easily now and has to take medicine to control some of his impulses.  He's still a good guy at heart, but injuries to the brain can have very severe and lasting implications.  We feel lucky that his problems are controllable with medicine.

mybabysmama35
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM

My uncle was in a motorcycle accident and suffered a brain injury. It's been almost 4 years and he's not the same person at all. He needs someone to look after him because he's very impulsive and doesn't make good decisions. His wife was killed in the accident.

obx_Mom
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM

My son was involved in a head on motorcycle accident on the 2nd of this month. He had a concussion, but he's healing well. At first he kept asking the same questions over and over. he doesn't remember the accident, only bits and pieces of the ambulance ride, and virtually none of the helicopter ride. He only remembers his time in the trauma unit in small chunks. 

The accident was on Wednesday and he didn't really begin remembering daily "everyday" things until Friday. 

He still doesn't remember the accident or the rescue, and he probably never will. But he's pretty much back to normal now. 

Now we're just waiting for the blood clot in his leg to dissolve and his burns and road rash to heal.

Tooth_Inspector
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM
My best friends ex husband was in a motorcycle accident that left him with a brain injury. It took a year to recover but then he was completely different. He decided he wanted to act 16, didn't want to be married, or raise his son. His personality completely changed so after two years she finally divorced him because she couldn't take it anymore :( I hate hearing him be so mean to her now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by Sherry on May. 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM

My husband has a moderate Traumatic Brain Injury he got while in the Army. He got back to 70% of where he was. He relearned how to read and write, cope, and many other things. No, he never got back to the same person and he never will. It took four years to get him to his max point and then there is nothing more. He got put out of the Army for it. He has severe PTSD that never gets better. 

However, in the course of time, we've learned how to adjust. I recommend this site for any family going through this. 

http://www.traumaticbraininjuryatoz.org/Mild-TBI.aspx

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)