Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

College Major Question (anyone with a degree in Social Work or Psychology come here!)

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:07 AM
  • 36 Replies

So, I am finally going back to school in the fall - yay!! And I am trying to choose a major.

The school I am going to offers a major AND a minor in both social work and psychology, so I am considering either majoring in social work and minoring in psychology, or vice versa. These are both bachelor's degrees.

I'm trying to figure out which makes more sense. I am hoping to have a large variety of career opportunities open to me, as well as the opportunity to make more money. I have not picked a specific career objective yet, other than I want it to be in one of these fields, so I would like lots of different possibilities once I do get my degree.

Any ideas, thoughts, etc?

Oh, if it helps, the school does offer a Master's degree in social work but NOT in psychology, though I could transfer to a different school if I chose psych and wanted to pursue it further.

Also, double majoring is not an option.

Thanks in advance!

by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matildalee
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM
I have a bs in psych. There have been tons of jobs i would qualify for. I have noticed that a lot of times psych or social work degrees are both acceptable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Holztastic
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:16 AM

May I ask what you do for a living and what your income is? You don't have to answer, or you can PM me if you want. Not trying to be nosy. :)

Quoting matildalee:

I have a bs in psych. There have been tons of jobs i would qualify for. I have noticed that a lot of times psych or social work degrees are both acceptable.

ta2dirishlass
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Social work is a little broader in spectrum career wise than psychology. 

matildalee
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:21 AM
I supervise two independent supported living homes for people with developmental disabilities. I make about 30,000 a year but cost of living is fairly low where i live. And i love my job. I never dread going to work.

Quoting Holztastic:

May I ask what you do for a living and what your income is? You don't have to answer, or you can PM me if you want. Not trying to be nosy. :)

Quoting matildalee:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LexRi0709
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Why don't you take a couple classes for each and see which you prefer?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kara.haughton
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Quoting ta2dirishlass:

Social work is a little broader in spectrum career wise than psychology. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Lissette on May. 13, 2012 at 1:25 AM

You can get a decent job with a degree in psychology. However to make the good money you will need at least a Masters. With the BA you will never get past the entry level positions.

Holztastic
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Because since they are so similar, I think it would be difficult to build a clear preference. And honestly, I think I would be happy either way as long as I wasn't limited to just a few possible careers. Sounds silly, but oh well lol!

Quoting LexRi0709:

Why don't you take a couple classes for each and see which you prefer?

Holztastic
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Did you find it hard to find a career when you were just getting out of school?

Quoting matildalee:

I supervise two independent supported living homes for people with developmental disabilities. I make about 30,000 a year but cost of living is fairly low where i live. And i love my job. I never dread going to work.

Quoting Holztastic:

Quoting matildalee:

Hani_Mommy
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:26 AM
Social work for a undergrad. A lot more useful in establishing a career.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)