Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

2012-2013 federal and state pell grant law changes. IMPORTANT.

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM
  • 25 Replies

Apparently, the government made some changes to start Fall 2012.

If you have received pell grants/state grants for 6 years or 12 terms you will now be ineligible for grants. This is a total time..so if you went to school in 1999, went back to do something else in 2004, quit and started again in 2011..your total years of aid are looked at.

if you went to a vocational program, did schools like phoenix online, and used pell, then decided it was useless and went to a local campus, it counts as well.

Basically if you have ever used a pell grant to pay for any kind of schooling be it a diploma or some sort or a certificate, even if you never completeld it..it counts as total time.

Once you reach 6 years of pell the federal government will look at your total lifetime usage..and you will be capped once you hit 600%. This happens when people go parttime, take a semester off in a year,ect. Its based on this :what you were awarded a year/divided by how much was actually paid out). Once you come close to that 600%, starting this year, you are ineligible for grant money. Please Note: even if you are not at that 600% but at 500% you may still be cut off because of coming close to reaching the max limit.

The federal government will allow students to check their Lifetime usage online starting July 2012, until then you can go and check your pell grant history and figure your usage out yourself.

here is the link to check your usage: Login info is the same as the ones you used to apply for FAFSA.

http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/

and here is information on this new change. letters to those students who are going to be cut off should be going out shortly, this month i believe. They won't be coming from your school and your school does not have that information. These letters will be coming from the dept of education themselves.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/PellLimit.jsp

by on May. 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mackQuin
by on May. 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

oh and there is no appeal. this is a final decision..

gum.drop
by on May. 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM
And undergrads have to start paying interest while in school....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by Sherry on May. 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I've already been told that I am fucked. Trying to figure it out now. But mine were all loans. I never have used any grants but one semester. 

mackQuin
by on May. 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Quoting sherry132:

I've already been told that I am fucked. Trying to figure it out now. But mine were all loans. I never have used any grants but one semester. 

you may be fucked due to SAP..once you reach 100 or 180 credit hours, once there you are unable for federal loans or grants.

mackQuin
by on May. 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Quoting gum.drop:

And undergrads have to start paying interest while in school....

i didn't know about this one.  interesting

sherry132
by Sherry on May. 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I have 152 credit hours currently. But I've got 14 terms because my student advisor fucked me and told me I was going full time. I didn't learn I was going part time all this time until March of this year. 

Quoting mackQuin:

Quoting sherry132:

you may be fucked due to SAP..once you reach 100 or 180 credit hours, once there you are unable for federal loans or grants.

mackQuin
by on May. 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Quoting sherry132:

I have 152 credit hours currently. But I've got 14 terms because my student advisor fucked me and told me I was going full time. I didn't learn I was going part time all this time until March of this year. 

Quoting mackQuin:

Quoting sherry132:

yeah..you were coming close to reaching that golden 180 hour mark..they probably determined you wouldnt' be able to complete it before reaching 180 so pulled your aid. :(

mackQuin
by on May. 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Quoting mackQuin:

Quoting sherry132:

Quoting mackQuin:

Quoting sherry132:

yeah..you were coming close to reaching that golden 180 hour mark..they probably determined you wouldnt' be able to complete it before reaching 180 so pulled your aid. :(

you can appeal SAP decisions though. I'd give it a try.

mackQuin
by on May. 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

i also think that starting with the 2013-2014 FAFSA, the minute you apply for aid you will find out..i think waiting till now to tell people is a little ridiculous, but that is the government for you!

sherry132
by Sherry on May. 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I don't know if they have or not.(Completely). My financial counselor said she has some other stuff to try and to wait. My husband is looking at his school VA benefits, and then we will go from there. I don't know what I'll do if I can't pay for my education AND I have to pay back all those loans right now. I don't even have a job!

Quoting mackQuin:

Quoting sherry132:

Quoting mackQuin:

Quoting sherry132:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)