Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So I was at the Parent Teacher store.....

and there was a kindergarten teacher there shopping for some new classroom stuff, DD will be starting kinder this fall and i think she could tell so we got to talking..

She said that the only thing a kinder teacher really cares about when a kid is coming to school for the first time is that they know:

Shapes

Colors

Counts to 10

and can spell their name...

she said that knowing those things, especially the name, would make the teacher sooo happy..

So DD can do all of that, even count to 20......but she can't spell her name, we're working on it, and she directed us to the paper with the wide lines that she uses in her classroom so we can practice.

But if you're kid is either in kinder or already done with kinder, DID THEY KNOW THAT?? did they go in under prepared, perfectly prepared, or even over prepared???

and how did they do in kinder...???

revengeSiggy

by on May. 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Replies (11-16):
razmatazthespaz
by on May. 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM

no she didn't do prek, and i'm not worried about her being behind, she knows more than whats on that list... those are just the major things the teacher brought up.we have until august for her to learn to write her name and she's almost got it.. she just tends to jumble the letters and write her Z backwards! lol

she can write ALMOST the entire alphabet, can read a bunch of sight words. can write little notes like "I love poppop" lol

knows all her shapes (even 3 dimensional ones) all her colors, can count to 20. do some very simple adding and subtracting.......

i just wrote this post because i was curious about how well other's did in Kinder and how well prepared they were for it.

Quoting alreadydidthis:

Did she do pre k? If she didnt then dont worry she might be a little behing but in a few months she will catch up. They just want kids to write their own name on the paper dont worry

Clubpenguin
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM

BUMP!

alreadydidthis
by on May. 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Lol my son is in kinder and he still writes backwards the teacher said inly 1/16 of her kids dont so let her keep writing backwards. But i wouldnt even think twice about her she sounds super smart!

Quoting razmatazthespaz:

no she didn't do prek, and i'm not worried about her being behind, she knows more than whats on that list... those are just the major things the teacher brought up.we have until august for her to learn to write her name and she's almost got it.. she just tends to jumble the letters and write her Z backwards! lol

she can write ALMOST the entire alphabet, can read a bunch of sight words. can write little notes like "I love poppop" lol

knows all her shapes (even 3 dimensional ones) all her colors, can count to 20. do some very simple adding and subtracting.......

i just wrote this post because i was curious about how well other's did in Kinder and how well prepared they were for it.

Quoting alreadydidthis:

Did she do pre k? If she didnt then dont worry she might be a little behing but in a few months she will catch up. They just want kids to write their own name on the paper dont worry

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GreenEyePixie
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Right now mine will be prepared. He knows all but the spelling/writing his name (he can do that with help). He is doing Pre-K next year though.

xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 13, 2012 at 8:38 PM
My dd went to kinder at 4 and knew everything except how to write her name. she excelled in kindergarten
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jella31
by Angela on May. 13, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Same here.

Quoting NattysMommy:

My dd is in pre-k and knows way more than that thanks to the school...I'm sure different states have different curriculums tho!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)