Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I am so tired of the me generation! *VENT* PIOG

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM
  • 111 Replies
11 moms liked this

Today's posts of people bitching about how they didn't get this, that, or the other, just really pissed me off.  Seriously!  Since when did gift giving become a prerequiste for anything?  When did showing some one you care go from just spending time together to having to buy cards, flowers, presents, and all of that?  Why did it turn into that?  Why are gifts, cards, presents, and all of that so important now?  I just don't get it and it honestly disappoints me to no end in people these days!  If I told any one that I expected to receive anything that got disappointed when I didn't receive it or throw a temper tantrum like a child about it, I know all of the people in my life would tell me to grow the hell up and get over it.

I mean seriously!  It's every single holiday!  Christmas, oh I didn't get this or that or blah blah blah!  Guess fucking what!  I got a strange sweater thing, a gift card, and a little cash.  That's it.  Did I complain?  Nope!  Did I get all depressed because I didn't get something I wanted?  Nope!  I smiled, said thank you, and genuiely appreciated that some one thought of me at all and I've used all of it, sweater included.  What I treasure more is the time I got to spend with my family.  I got what I wanted for Christmas, which was my family together for the holiday and I got it.  It mean the world to me!  Valentine's day?  Forget it!  I have never, in 32 years of life, single or dating, received anything from a significant other.  Yeah I'm a Valentine's Day Grinch, but you know what, it's a ridiculous that there has to be one day that you show the person you love that you love them!  That should be done year round!  My birthday?  I wasn't given a single gift, but you know what I did do that meant a great deal more to me?  I spent my brithday with my daughter, my sisters, my nieces, and my oldest and best friend which is something I haven't been able to do in years.  I was the one who even cooked my own birthday dinner, but I was also teaching my sister how to make my sauce.  That time with my family meant so much more to me than any gift I could possibly received!  Then you have today you have Mother's Day.  I didn't receive gifts, I got 2 cards, one from a friend, and one from my step-grandmother, but what meant the most to me was the bookmark that the daycare helped my daughter make.  My daughter let me sleep in until, but only because she slept in until 10, and she woke me up with a very happy "mommy mommy mommy".  That warmed my heart more than anything in this world.  I spent my day with her, we had lunch with a friend, than had dinner with another friend.  My kid (my brother that I had custody of until he went into college) called me from New York with his friends to wish me a Happy Mother's Day, say thank you for all I've done for him, and to tell me he loves me. The memories from today will hold  more to me than any gift I could ever receive!

My mother never ever talked about the gifts we did or did not give her for holidays, birthdays, or mother's day.  She was always talked about the surprise birthday party I tried to plan for her when I was 14.  I couldn't pull off the surprise thanks to my sister telling her, but she always said the fact that I wanted to do it (we still had the party just wasn't a surprise) meant everything to her.  She also talked about the Mother's Day that I made her breakfast in bed for her.  Along with the breakfast in bed my brother tried to make for her years later.  She always giggled about how he burnt the pancakes because he didn't know to grease the pan, but he was only 12 and she never let him cook.  Being asked by one of my sisters to host her senior showcase at high school.  And finally the last minute, late birthday party my sister (more her than me) threw together for her.  She always said the most important things in the world to her were those things, not the gifts we gave, that she typically forgot about after awhile.

Point is, get over the damn "you have to get me something" crap because guess what?  In 10 years it's not going to be what you remember and it won't be what matters!  What you're going to remember is the sticky kisses and finger prints on your glasses!  You're going to remember the happy face and the "mommy" calls!  When you're child is moving out to go start their own life you're going to remember that burnt toast they tried to make for you.  Do you get that?  Do you get that material possessions come and go, but the memories you make last forever?  Love and appreciation isn't shown in the purchased things.  It's shown in those I love yous, the smiley face even sitting in the middle of a mud pile, the attempts to feed you their already chewed food, the horribly colored pictures that cover your refridgerator, that phone call "just to say hi", the running to mommy in tears because they're hurt or upset, it's in all of that.  It may not seem like it or maybe you don't realize it, but it's in there in the craziness of all of it.

Sorry it's long and jumbled.  I just needed to put this out there.

by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CaptainFeast
by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Right on, JK.

I tried to say something like this last year and was told how jealous I must be. Pfft.

jkleinman
by <3munchkin's mama<3 on May. 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Jealous of what?  Prefering the love of my child to store bought crap that won't last?

Quoting CaptainFeast:

Right on, JK.

I tried to say something like this last year and was told how jealous I must be. Pfft.

CaptainFeast
by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I know. 

I just don't understand why spending time with your family isn't good enough for some of these women.

Quoting jkleinman:

Jealous of what?  Prefering the love of my child to store bought crap that won't last?

Quoting CaptainFeast:

Right on, JK.

WendyJR
by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Well said!
I had an awesome day with dh and the kids and that's all I wanted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:50 PM
4 moms liked this

MamaRae85
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

FINGERPRINTS ON MY GLASSES AAAAAAAAARRRRGGHHHH! lol

I totally agree with everything! My hubby is in Texas today, but I got to spend the day with my boy and my parents, and it was just great!

good

MrsImperfect
by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:53 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm tired of the posts of ppl bitching about the ppl bitching they didn't get anything. They have a right to vent too if that's how they feel. That's what this is all about here.
And no I'm not saying I agree or disagree either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jkleinman
by <3munchkin's mama<3 on May. 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I love this!

Quoting opal10161973:

jkleinman
by <3munchkin's mama<3 on May. 14, 2012 at 12:32 AM

LOL.  I know.  It drives me nuts, but always so funny.

Quoting MamaRae85:

FINGERPRINTS ON MY GLASSES AAAAAAAAARRRRGGHHHH! lol

I totally agree with everything! My hubby is in Texas today, but I got to spend the day with my boy and my parents, and it was just great!

good

poietes
by Laura on May. 14, 2012 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I dont want presents. Its a waste of money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN