Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Gah, my mom's being scammed huh? *UPDATE*

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:00 PM
  • 209 Replies

She just randomly received a check for 2 grand today in the mail. She is on her way to the bank right now to find out if it's real or fake and to cash it?

She tells me the only thing she can think of was that she signed up from CL (omg I know) some secret shopper thing. I told her it seemed like a scam but didn't know if they were related for sure or not. The check is from something like ChemUSA or something? But their website looks legit, only it's for computers or something like that so I am so confused!

We'll know in less than 10 minutes though.

Wow, this post blew up. I am really sorry it took so long for an update. The bank told my mom they will hold it for 5 days to see if it goes through or something, but I have informed her not to pursue anything because likely it is a scam. Not sure how she feels or if she will listen to me. I don't know. Thanks for all your concerns and stories though!

by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AHmom103
by Alexis on May. 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, that sounds weird.

SevysMomma
by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Sad part is how excited she was. =/
She somehow believes it's true, the check looks legit and etc. and she needs the money so bad - she's going to be so depressed to find out it's not. Which I am leaning towards it is probably all some scam.  

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell her not to cash it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this

some banks will cash the check and then 2 weeks later when it bounces she will owe that money.  tell her not to touch the money until she knows for sure it has cleared.

amandabo
by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Its a scam....I received one 5 yrs ago
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkyPan
by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Tell her not to cash it!

SparklePants
by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM
Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

some banks will cash the check and then 2 weeks later when it bounces she will owe that money.  tell her not to touch the money until she knows for sure it has cleared.

This!!!
babygirl4326
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a scam, let us know please.

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM

sounds like a scam.  The bank should beable to help her decide whether or not its a fake... hopefully.

Schleetle
by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM
NO. Tell her not to cash it! Why does she think some company randomly decided she should get 2 grand for no reason?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN