Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My dog bit my son today. Now what......

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM
  • 304 Replies
1 mom liked this

Well, exactly what my title says. (I am really hoping this post doesn't get all out of control and rude)

I have a Siberian Husky and a Pitbull, my Husky is 5 months and my Pit is 4 years old. The incident happened this morning in the kitchen. My son is only 15 months old and the dog that bit him was the husky, we've never had any issues with either dogs, ever! My husband trains the dogs to know that nothing belongs to them, for example the food bowls. He trains them so they know that if one of the kids(we have 2) goes and puts their hands in the bowls, or touches them while they are eating that they show zero aggression and this has worked very, very well for us.....until now. My Pit is mellow, you can put both your hands in his food while he's eating he won't do anything but walk away. We trained my parent's Pit the same way, and another Husky that my husband had in the past the same way. 

Anyway, back to the point, my son was crawling in the kitchen...both my husband and I are there with him just talking and my son did not even touch the Husky's food, he just got close to it, and the dog snapped and bit him in the cheek and lip. He started bleeding and crying hysterically, which made start panicking! He has some scratches in his face also but he is okay, thank God. 

Now the dilemma, my husband wants to rehome the Husky. He has always told me that the moment one of his dogs bites one of the kids, or any kid, that they would be gone. The kids love the Husky though, and it's hard to part with a pet. What do I do? Part of me is scared of it happening again, and God forbid the injuries be worse. 

Anyone been in this type of situation before?

Again thanks for all the input ladies. Just to clear some things up, the issue is not with the Pit at all, I was just explaining my home-life.

The Husky is not fully trained yet.

My son did not touch his food, he only got near it.

The issue I'm having is wether he will be put down if I take him to a shelter, which I do not want that. 

4/15/2012: Thanks again for the responses ladies, some of you gave me a lot of good advice that I will be taking into consideration. We are not 100% sure exactly what we are doing yet, we understand that he is a puppy that is still not fully trained hence our decision is difficult. We don't want to simply "get rid of him" like many of you assumed, we would make sure he goes to a good home, we are not interested in even money for him, just a better place( IF we decide on that route) 

I did do my research on Huskies before purchasing him, and my husband owned Huskies before but that doesn't mean that he wasn't shocked(for lack of a better word) to see this one snap and his son's cheek and mouth covered in blood. His reaction wasn't the greatest, I admit, but it was the reaction of a parent whose small son was hurt and at the moment he wasn't sure how hurt. Thankfully the injuries were superficial. 

If we decide to keep him with us we have to tweak our training some, obviously. What works for our Pitbull, and the other dogs my husband has worked with in the past doesn't work with this Husky. Huskies are great dogs, beautiful dogs...I won't be convinced otherwise because of this incident or any statistics anyone tries to throw at me. 

I am not choosing my dog over my child, or my child over my dog, or whatever the hell else people said...I am simply trying to come up with the BEST solution for EVERYONE involved. I am not gonna throw the dog in a dumpster and be done with it, and I am not going to blame myself for what happened either. Shit happens all the time, even with the best trained dogs. 

Again, thanks for those of you who actually gave me good input/advice. 

by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittney28
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with your husband.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovelauryn
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM
3 moms liked this
Ummm the dog would be gone. ASAP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bird16_J
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I'm sorry that happened :( Our dogs were always trained that way as well. We would be able to take steak from them and they would show no aggression. And honestly, if that were my dog it would be gone. I wouldn't want to risk someone else being bitten. Sounds like the dog needs to go to a home with no kids. And I'm very sorry that happened :( Hope little man is going to be ok!

MamaJess9
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with your husband also. I love my dog like part of my family, but she would be gone immediately. If I couldn't find a home where she would NEVER be around kids again, I would have her put to sleep. That's just the way it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hargonagain
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I agree with your hubby, get rid of the dog, not worth taking a chance with your baby's life.

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this

the dog is still very young.. he can be rehabbed if you WANT to and you learn how to SAFELY do it.  if you feel like will be unable to do it then its best to rehome it.  if you do rehome - make sure to let the rescue know that the pup appears to be food aggressive (based on what you said it seems like the dog was protecting the food).
im sorry to hear this and i hope your son heals quickly 

starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Is rehome the dog
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armybratmom612
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Dog bites anyone=dog is gone in our house
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gum.drop
8 moms liked this
I think it's still a puppy.... Neutered yet?

Im not trying to come off bitchy, but you should also be training the kids to stay away and respect the dog while eating kWim?

The dog probably could have done more, sounds like both just need more training.

Goodluck

I wouldn't get ride of the puppy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KMAsMommy9182

I am sorry, but that dog would be gone in this house.  I wouldn't take him to a shelter or anything like that, but the dog would be living outside until I found it a nice home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)