Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My dog bit my son today. Now what......

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, exactly what my title says. (I am really hoping this post doesn't get all out of control and rude)

I have a Siberian Husky and a Pitbull, my Husky is 5 months and my Pit is 4 years old. The incident happened this morning in the kitchen. My son is only 15 months old and the dog that bit him was the husky, we've never had any issues with either dogs, ever! My husband trains the dogs to know that nothing belongs to them, for example the food bowls. He trains them so they know that if one of the kids(we have 2) goes and puts their hands in the bowls, or touches them while they are eating that they show zero aggression and this has worked very, very well for us.....until now. My Pit is mellow, you can put both your hands in his food while he's eating he won't do anything but walk away. We trained my parent's Pit the same way, and another Husky that my husband had in the past the same way. 

Anyway, back to the point, my son was crawling in the kitchen...both my husband and I are there with him just talking and my son did not even touch the Husky's food, he just got close to it, and the dog snapped and bit him in the cheek and lip. He started bleeding and crying hysterically, which made start panicking! He has some scratches in his face also but he is okay, thank God. 

Now the dilemma, my husband wants to rehome the Husky. He has always told me that the moment one of his dogs bites one of the kids, or any kid, that they would be gone. The kids love the Husky though, and it's hard to part with a pet. What do I do? Part of me is scared of it happening again, and God forbid the injuries be worse. 

Anyone been in this type of situation before?

Again thanks for all the input ladies. Just to clear some things up, the issue is not with the Pit at all, I was just explaining my home-life.

The Husky is not fully trained yet.

My son did not touch his food, he only got near it.

The issue I'm having is wether he will be put down if I take him to a shelter, which I do not want that. 

4/15/2012: Thanks again for the responses ladies, some of you gave me a lot of good advice that I will be taking into consideration. We are not 100% sure exactly what we are doing yet, we understand that he is a puppy that is still not fully trained hence our decision is difficult. We don't want to simply "get rid of him" like many of you assumed, we would make sure he goes to a good home, we are not interested in even money for him, just a better place( IF we decide on that route) 

I did do my research on Huskies before purchasing him, and my husband owned Huskies before but that doesn't mean that he wasn't shocked(for lack of a better word) to see this one snap and his son's cheek and mouth covered in blood. His reaction wasn't the greatest, I admit, but it was the reaction of a parent whose small son was hurt and at the moment he wasn't sure how hurt. Thankfully the injuries were superficial. 

If we decide to keep him with us we have to tweak our training some, obviously. What works for our Pitbull, and the other dogs my husband has worked with in the past doesn't work with this Husky. Huskies are great dogs, beautiful dogs...I won't be convinced otherwise because of this incident or any statistics anyone tries to throw at me. 

I am not choosing my dog over my child, or my child over my dog, or whatever the hell else people said...I am simply trying to come up with the BEST solution for EVERYONE involved. I am not gonna throw the dog in a dumpster and be done with it, and I am not going to blame myself for what happened either. Shit happens all the time, even with the best trained dogs. 

Again, thanks for those of you who actually gave me good input/advice. 

by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Replies (241-250):
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I am from Alaska and grew up with Huskies of all types and now own 2 pitties.  the ONLY dog that ever bite me was a wiener dog( I was a young child) ....LOL  BUT I was chased once on top of a car by a Chow Chow. ( I was a mail lady for 13 years)

Quoting ArianasMama2007:

I did not know that, i know pitts, chows, and rotts are on it and i was raised with all 3 and never bit

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Huskies are number 4 and Malamute huskies are number 5 on Top 10 most dangerous dog lists.  MANY insurance companies won't insure them just like Pitties.  They just don't have a large a number of dogs ( of course pitties are actually 4-5 different breeds reported as pitties too in dog bite stats) and the press isn't on them.

Quoting ArianasMama2007:

I don't trust huskys for that exact reason, my cousin was attacked and had to have over 250 stitches in his face because a fully trained husky who they had for years before he was even born attacked him over a hotdog.

They also have a 250lb rotwiler(sp?) That has never been aggressive towards anyone.

I have a pitt , i have raised them since i was a kid and was never attacked or even bit

I think they have the viscous dog list completely backwards .

But yes i would get rid of the dog, also don't give it to anyone with small children

Avitar
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Teach your son to Never go near a dog's food. Some are very territorial this way. This is a natural reaction for a species that naturally hunts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Livinwith3boys
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Find a home with no kids!!!

AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this
That's why I don't let dogs mingle in my house with my kids.

Even trained dogs are unpredictable animals.

I had my face tore into by a doby as a kid and won't give a dog a chance to do it to my babies.

We have 2 outdoor only dogs and would not hesitate to break their fucking jaws with my bare hands if they bit a kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JustCJ
by Charlotte on May. 15, 2012 at 7:08 AM
Dog=gone. It wouldn't even be a fleeting thought a split second in my head. *hugs* we train our dogs the same way with the food bowls...we have an am-staff as well, he's just a baby though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlingsAndThings
by RissaBusch on May. 15, 2012 at 7:09 AM
I would never keep a dog that bit my child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bowtieqt35
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:13 AM

If you even mention the reason you are bringing the dog there is because he bit a kid he will not get adopted out. Since he is just a puppy I would say give it more time. We always taught our dog too but they are animals dont ever forget that & with our kids the dog had a "safe" place that they were never to go into ( it was under the table). The animals need a place they can go to get away from everything.Did your son crawl up fast, if he did the dog may have just been startled.

kemmerer411
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM
This.

Quoting ilovelauryn:

Ummm the dog would be gone. ASAP

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autum713
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM
As a huge dog lover and a vet tech I'm gonna give u some advice and exactly what I would do.. The dog is young but that's no excuse and UNLESS the behavior is corrected immediately (like yesterday) u have 2 options... #1 give the dog to someone without children that has the know how to properly "raise" a dog (not that u or ur hubby don't cuz obviously u do) OR have him euthanized humanely
If u take him to the pound chances are he won't b adopted and u wouldn't want him bitting another child if a family with little ones for him.
And I knew as I read what breeds u had that it was the husky. I have 3 pits so I'm partial to them :)

Quoting GomezMami2908:

Well, exactly what my title says. (I am really hoping this post doesn't get all out of control and rude)

I have a Siberian Husky and a Pitbull, my Husky is 5 months and my Pit is 4 years old. The incident happened this morning in the kitchen. My son is only 15 months old and the dog that bit him was the husky, we've never had any issues with either dogs, ever! My husband trains the dogs to know that nothing belongs to them, for example the food bowls. He trains them so they know that if one of the kids(we have 2) goes and puts their hands in the bowls, or touches them while they are eating that they show zero aggression and this has worked very, very well for us.....until now. My Pit is mellow, you can put both your hands in his food while he's eating he won't do anything but walk away. We trained my parent's Pit the same way, and another Husky that my husband had in the past the same way. 

Anyway, back to the point, my son was crawling in the kitchen...both my husband and I are there with him just talking and my son did not even touch the Husky's food, he just got close to it, and the dog snapped and bit him in the cheek and lip. He started bleeding and crying hysterically, which made start panicking! He has some scratches in his face also but he is okay, thank God. 

Now the dilemma, my husband wants to rehome the Husky. He has always told me that the moment one of his dogs bites one of the kids, or any kid, that they would be gone. The kids love the Husky though, and it's hard to part with a pet. What do I do? Part of me is scared of it happening again, and God forbid the injuries be worse. 

Anyone been in this type of situation before?

Again thanks for all the input ladies. Just to clear some things up, the issue is not with the Pit at all, I was just explaining my home-life.

The Husky is not fully trained yet.

My son did not touch his food, he only got near it.

The issue I'm having is wether he will be put down if I take him to a shelter, which I do not want that. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2alexx
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM

You have 2 dogs that are on the Top Ten Most Dangerous Dog Breed List. Huskie is No. 4 and Pit is No.1 and your shocked they bit??? Are you serious!

And you let young young children play on the floor with them?? Are you serious?

Both breed's have been documented to inflict more damage per bite then other dog's and you still treat them as if their the "Nanny"?? Again.. Are you serious?

I find it mind boggling how stupid people are when it comes to dogs. DOG'S BITE plain and simple and you have the 2 whom have history of complete mauling and extreme damage. At this point you might as well just serve your kids to them on a silver platter.

Excellent Parenting Skills.

HUMAN BEFORE ANIMAL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN