Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you encourage a young teen to keep a baby?

Posted by   + Show Post

Not necessarily your child, but someone who came to you for advice? Say the teen is 17 or younger, is still in school, and works a minimum wage part-time job. What would your advice be?

ETA: Do you think either the child or the teen would benefit from the teen keeping the baby?

*Completely hypothetical*

Photobucket

by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Replies (111-114):
singlemom416
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I would not encourage some one so young to keep a baby.Now if she has family that will stand by her thats a choice of a different sort and one for them to make and talk about.

CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I didn't say that, but honestly statistics can be faulty.

And they don't take certain things into consideration when doing these statistics.

Quoting CaptainFeast:

So what you're saying is you don't believe in statistics?

Quoting CABZS:

Like I said, there are a lot of thing to factor in.

I would encourage them to do what they feel is the best for them & wouldn't pressure them.

I was on my own since I was 16 & had no children.  There are many factors to take into consideration.

There are many adults that aren't emotionally or financially stable for children, yet they have them anyway.

There are many teens that are better mother's than adults.

Quoting CaptainFeast:

For one, financial stability. For two, emotional stability. For three, the brain isn't fully developed. Lastly, it ends the childhood and thrusts them into adulthood.

Statistics prove that children of teen moms are more likely to become teen mothers, more likely to be children of welfare, more likely to do badly in school, and more likely to be in trouble with the law.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Quoting CaptainFeast:

Yes, of course I do. I also know that we are human and can make our own choices. If enough children of teen mothers make the choice to break the cycle, the statistics will change. I also know that my mother was not a child of a teen mother so it isn't a pattern in our family. She was 19 and married when she got pregnant with and delivered my sister and me.
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on May. 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Yes I would. If they are "grown up" to have sex they are "grown up" to deal with the consequences. Hence why I also advocate abstinance..My dd's friend was 13 when she had her daughter. The baby is 1 now..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN