Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Caffeine for kids?

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:38 AM
  • 76 Replies

So on the way to preschool today I made the mistake of tell a friend that I let my 21month old have some of my Iced coffee the other day.   She went on the war path telling me its really bad because it will stunt her growth, cause her to have adhd and other issues has she gets older. So I am thinking not really. My little brother who we all thought would be very VERY short use to drink coffee all the time. He is now 6 feet tall. Okay she is a bit annoying at times.

Anyway what are your thoughts on this?  Also do you know of anyplace on the web I can do some looking into this about.  I dont let my dd drink it every day, as a matter of fact that was only the 3rd time she has had coffee or tea. Normally I added a lot of milk w/ just a drop of the coffee or tea. Which doesnt tea have more caffeine then coffee, thats what I recall reading once. My friend seems to think not.  What are your thoughts

by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tyrneathem
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM

An occasional "treat" sip now and then is not going to stunt a child's growth or cause serious long-term problems. I have issues giving up caffeine, though, so I will tend to have a hissy fit if someone gives my son some (he's 19 mos old). I just don't want him to get hooked on it like I have and I think he's way too young.

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Someone is always going to think their way of parenting is best. Just ignore it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
siouxssie
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure...in the Southern states kids drinking milk coffee is a normal thing I think...so, no, probably if it is just occassional not a bad thing.  I let my kids have Coke or Dr. Pepper when they have pizza...that can't be any different so I don't think it's a huge deal.  You have to let kids live a little too IMO.

alwayskk
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I do not think it will cause ADD/ADHD.

Large amounts of caffeine are known to stunt growth...very large amounts.

I occasionally let my kids have caffeine.

In general, tea has a significantly less caffeine than coffee.

Type of teaSize*Caffeine**
Brewed tea  
Black tea8 oz. (240 mL)14-61 mg
Black tea, decaffeinated8 oz. (240 mL)0-12 mg
Green tea8 oz. (240 mL)24-40 mg
Iced tea  
AriZona Iced Tea, lemon-flavored8 oz. (240 mL)11 mg
Generic instant, unsweetened8 oz. (240 mL)26 mg
Lipton Brisk Lemon Iced Tea8 oz. (240 mL)5-7 mg
Type of coffeeSize*Caffeine**
Espresso, restaurant-style1 oz. (30 mL)40-75 mg
Espresso, restaurant-style, decaffeinated1 oz. (30 mL)0-15 mg
Generic brewed8 oz. (240 mL)95-200 mg
Generic brewed, decaffeinated8 oz. (240 mL)2-12 mg
Generic instant8 oz. (240 mL)27-173 mg
Generic instant, decaffeinated8 oz. (240 mL)2-12 mg
McDonald's brewed16 oz. (480 mL)100 mg
McDonald's Mocha Frappe16 oz. (480 mL)125 mg
Starbucks Latte16 oz. (480 mL)150 mg
Starbucks Pike Place brewed16 oz. (480 mL)330 mg
Starbucks Pike Place brewed, decaffeinated16 oz. (480 mL)25 mg
ihave1
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I agree being from Louisiana we always had coffee. As a matter of fact I didnt drink my 1st cup of soda until I was 13. Always had my coffee tho. Im do not have adhd! lol

Quoting siouxssie:

I'm not sure...in the Southern states kids drinking milk coffee is a normal thing I think...so, no, probably if it is just occassional not a bad thing.  I let my kids have Coke or Dr. Pepper when they have pizza...that can't be any different so I don't think it's a huge deal.  You have to let kids live a little too IMO.

nicsmama09
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Um shes being extreme. I give my ds a sip here and there.
Its not like they ever have their own and drink tons. Lol.
Ask pediatrician
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM

http://www.livestrong.com/article/86586-effects-caffeine-toddlers/

Personally, I would never give my kids coffee.  I don't even let them have soda with caffeine in it.  

The only time I would agree with it is if the child is ADHD or ADD because it has the opposite effect.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

boys2men2soon
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM

People are paranoid.    Caffeine in moderation is not going to harm a child.  I sure wouldn't give it to a 21 month old on a regular basis, but once in a while?  No big deal. 

I was a Pepsi aholic when my kids were little.   They took sips.  Both mine drank pop in moderation.   They still do, LoL.   They are 22 and 18, now.   Both over 6 ft tall and healthy.

Caffeine is often given to kids with ADHD to calm them down.  Think about it.  Adderall, a medication to treat ADD/ADHD is amphetimine salts.

Tesserae
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM

My 8 yr old has been drinking the occasional coffee (lattes and frappes) for many years. So obviously I have no problem with it. He loves Starbucks and so do we.

MommyFlood
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM
I say anything in moderation. I'd be lying if i said DD never got caffeine. She's had a coke, sweet tea and let's not forget chocolate has small amounts of caffeine (right? Lol).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)