Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So on the way to preschool today I made the mistake of tell a friend that I let my 21month old have some of my Iced coffee the other day.   She went on the war path telling me its really bad because it will stunt her growth, cause her to have adhd and other issues has she gets older. So I am thinking not really. My little brother who we all thought would be very VERY short use to drink coffee all the time. He is now 6 feet tall. Okay she is a bit annoying at times.

Anyway what are your thoughts on this?  Also do you know of anyplace on the web I can do some looking into this about.  I dont let my dd drink it every day, as a matter of fact that was only the 3rd time she has had coffee or tea. Normally I added a lot of milk w/ just a drop of the coffee or tea. Which doesnt tea have more caffeine then coffee, thats what I recall reading once. My friend seems to think not.  What are your thoughts

by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Replies (31-40):
ihave1
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM

That was how we had it growning up too.  Im addicted to it, my brother isnt.  We only had it at our grandparents home.  W/ tons of milk. If I do let my lettle on have its w/ tons of milk.  its not a everryday think for her.  She has had it only like three times her whole life, she is 21 months.

Quoting strontium:

lol. I grew up in a family full of coffee addicts. My dad used to make me coffee milk (might be a Rhode Island thing.. but its just milk with some coffee and sugar- just enough to give it a light brownish color) and I would drink that in my sippy cups lol... I would have morning coffee with both of my grandmas on the weekends while being babysat... for as long as I can remember. My only issue now is that im a coffee addict myself =)

I dont see how a sip could do much harm... as long as they arent sensitive to caffeine and get shaky or anything.

GraceHudson
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM
bump

ihave1
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I love them, just cant afford them like I use to be able to.

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

Mine is... But it's because of their hot cocoa. My 5 yo thinks it's the best ever!

Quoting taramac:

I think there is nothing wrong with it occassional but if your toddler is addicted to Starbucks then that might be a problem!

bmcandmmh
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Uh oh I must be a bad mom! Ds about 2x a week has 5oz of regular Pepsi but at home I buy caffeine free and trick him. I had no idea about the ADHD I just didn't want him bouncing off the walls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gcstar42
by Shara on May. 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Lol I think it would take a LOT to stunt anyones growth. I am from Texas and here we drink tea on a daily basis starting at around 1 yr old (or sometimes even before that). Sodas are also really big here even at young ages. I hve drank tea and soda my whole life and I use to drink my grandmas coffee as well. And I am 5'8". And I am not even close to ADD or ADHD. I tend to think most things are ok in moderation.

LoriLou75
by Lori on May. 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I think just because you (or anyone really) knows someone that defies studies, doesn't make the studies wrong. For example, I know someone that smoked 3 packs a day and lived to his mid 90's, never had heart or lung disease. This doesn't mean smoking is actually safe.

I think caffiene in very small amounts is OK, I would never allow my children to have it often though.

ihave1
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Thank you for this. Iam about to read this right now.

Quoting jessi2girls:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/431260-is-caffeine-bad-for-children/

don't think the amount she gets is really going to have any lasting effects.. here is a link though that may answer some questions you have about caffeine and children.

MissConrad
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Personally I wouldn't allow my kid to have caffiene. My SO's mother gives all the grandkids (ages 6 down) coffee with pecans. She also feeds the babies reg food like mashed potatoes and meat! (Under 8 months of age!!) This will be a war zone for me..i just know it because she is probably going to think I am too tuff on my kids. But to each thier own!!!  I believe kids have enough energy that they don't need a pick me up like we do. I love coffee myself, but I also realize the effects it can have on you. Ex...teeth! I drink it through a straw so it doesn't stain the front teeth at least, just the back. UGH! A sip goes a long way. Not only that, but have you noticed how kids are around soda? It's like crack!! I'm serious! LOL You leave your cup of soda down around kids, and they act like ants until it is all gone! LMAO My SO's youngest son is 5, and we had a Sierra Mist (No caffiene for me) and a Mt Dew for his older brother. This was at the movies...so, the youngest had my drink near him and he sipped on it less than every minute. When he was done with all my soda, he asked for his brothers. Then every couple seconds was sippin on that too....just about finished it until I told his daddy that he drank all of mine and is working on drinking all his brothers. LOL!!!!! ANTS ON CRACK!!!! 

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 10:17 AM
Coffee and tea arnt good for young kids i drink diet coke but dont allow my kids to give her water
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ihave1
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:19 AM

lol your not a bad mom!!  I usually give my dd a sprite if she drinks soda.  I really would rather her drrink water, which I  put lemon in it for her.  Water w/ lemon taste so much better then just plain old water.

Quoting bmcandmmh:

Uh oh I must be a bad mom! Ds about 2x a week has 5oz of regular Pepsi but at home I buy caffeine free and trick him. I had no idea about the ADHD I just didn't want him bouncing off the walls.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)