Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Surefire ways to tick off your babysitter!!! (If you are a sitter or use a sitter please read!!)

Posted by   + Show Post

I do in home babysitting. I work around all the families schedules, Some of my kids come as early as 7:30 AM, and some leave as late at 12:30 AM. I LOVE the kids I watch, I love watching them, but occasionally things come up. I thought I would share them with you, to spare your sitters frustration! ;)

1. PLEASE do not say to your child that "You are sure I wont mind..." Ex-"I'm sure Ms. ... wont mind a bit to take you to the park today." Because yes, yes I do mind. I put ALOT of thought in the activities we do! I also am capable of thinking for myself and do not believe a 3 year old should be able to control what I do.

2. Allow your child to break my house rules because you are here. I would NEVER allow a child to climb upon and sit on my kitchen table. Yet, you think it is okay to allow your child to do that-at my house-really? (no joke this happened yesterday)

3. Come really early or late, without notice. We have lives too. For instance if you say you will be here at 2:30, do not come at 1:50. (Also happened yesterday-I was about to walk out the door for a quick lunch with my hubby, and couldn't go, because someone came 40 minutes early)

4. Try to renegotiate our pay. If we have agreed to a certain amount of money, I am here, do everything I said I would-and usually more do not try to talk me DOWN. I did my job, taking care of your children-the most important part of your life-how does that not have value??

I am sorry, if I sound grumpy! Not what I was trying to convey! Thanks for reading!!! :)

by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Replies (21-30):
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 15, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Hope you're charging extra.

Quoting Mrs_Szontagh:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! I'm right there with ya today OMG! 

My Tuesday-Friday 7am-5pm has somehow turned into....
Tuesday 7am-5pm
Wednesday 7am-7pm
Thursday 7am-7pm
Friday 7am-9pm
Saturday 9am-Noon
And their birthday party on Sunday

UH HELLO! I HAVE A LIFE & FAMILY TOO! I have a 3 yr old and I'm 10 wks pregnant. Guess I won't see them this week.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yellowlily333
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:06 AM

NO KIDDING!!!! I would be furious!!! Mommy? I am a pretty laid back, nice person..but if someone told my child to call her Mommy... whoa!

Quoting tiffstud:

I used to use an in home sitter. We set up an arrangement that I would have the kids there at 8:30 and pick them up at 5. I'd get there at 8:30 and shed still be in bed. Then shed call me at 3:30 and tell me she wants to go shopping with her friend so to pick them up early.

Then shed call me at 11 and tell me she had no food for their lunch and Id need to bring them some.

She taught one girl she baby sat to call her "mommy".

She wouldn't tell me when he kid was super sick and I took my kids. Then they got sick.

She drove my kids to mcdonalds WITH OUT THEIR CAR SEATS!!!!

Needless to say, we are no longer friends bc she did all that.

Yellowlily333
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM

thank you!

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Some parents are just noobs. I agree with all you wrote.

Quoting Yellowlily333:

I do in home babysitting. I work around all the families schedules, Some of my kids come as early as 7:30 AM, and some leave as late at 12:30 AM. I LOVE the kids I watch, I love watching them, but occasionally things come up. I thought I would share them with you, to spare your sitters frustration! ;)

1. PLEASE do not say to your child that "You are sure I wont mind..." Ex-"I'm sure Ms. ... wont mind a bit to take you to the park today." Because yes, yes I do mind. I put ALOT of thought in the activities we do! I also am capable of thinking for myself and do not believe a 3 year old should be able to control what I do.

2. Allow your child to break my house rules because you are here. I would NEVER allow a child to climb upon and sit on my kitchen table. Yet, you think it is okay to allow your child to do that-at my house-really? (no joke this happened yesterday)

3. Come really early or late, without notice. We have lives too. For instance if you say you will be here at 2:30, do not come at 1:50. (Also happened yesterday-I was about to walk out the door for a quick lunch with my hubby, and couldn't go, because someone came 40 minutes early)

4. Try to renegotiate our pay. If we have agreed to a certain amount of money, I am here, do everything I said I would-and usually more do not try to talk me DOWN. I did my job, taking care of your children-the most important part of your life-how does that not have value??

I am sorry, if I sound grumpy! Not what I was trying to convey! Thanks for reading!!! :)

carley43789
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM
my biggest problem is we're working on potty training a little girl. The parents wanted to go the pull up route. fine with me but then they send her in underwear without saying anything when we drop off 2 kids at school right after her drop off and she peed, soaking her clothes, my carseat and part of the seat in my truck! it STILL stinks and I had it all cleaned...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yellowlily333
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Yes, if im up at 530-you better show up! lol

Quoting annas_momma:

How about call and let me know that you aren't going to bring your child in today. I had one family that brought their little boy at 5:30 every morning. On many occasions (almost once a week) they would show up several hours late or not show up at all. Next day they would say a relative wanted to keep him or they just took the day off. I still made them pay for the day they missed. But that pissed me off Just about more than anything else.

Ollie123
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow I can't beleive how inconsiderate people can be.
mmtosam06
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM
OMG

Quoting tiffstud:

I used to use an in home sitter. We set up an arrangement that I would have the kids there at 8:30 and pick them up at 5. I'd get there at 8:30 and shed still be in bed. Then shed call me at 3:30 and tell me she wants to go shopping with her friend so to pick them up early.

Then shed call me at 11 and tell me she had no food for their lunch and Id need to bring them some.

She taught one girl she baby sat to call her "mommy".

She wouldn't tell me when he kid was super sick and I took my kids. Then they got sick.

She drove my kids to mcdonalds WITH OUT THEIR CAR SEATS!!!!

Needless to say, we are no longer friends bc she did all that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4000
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I did home daycare as well, and the parents do act like that job is your life. Like you are solely there to be at their beckon call when they need their kids watched. It's frustrating.

Mrs_Szontagh
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

she threw me an extra $20 last week for the 4+ hours i worked OT... we'll be having a talk this week if i'm not paid my hourly rate. this is ridiculous 

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Hope you're charging extra.

Quoting Mrs_Szontagh:

Tuesday 7am-5pm
Wednesday 7am-7pm
Thursday 7am-7pm
Friday 7am-9pm
Saturday 9am-Noon

UH HELLO! I HAVE A LIFE & FAMILY TOO! I have a 3 yr old and I'm 10 wks pregnant. Guess I won't see them this week.  

Mrs_Szontagh
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM

eh, tis life =) at least i have a job & for that i am thankful

Quoting Yellowlily333:

:( i am sorry!

Quoting Mrs_Szontagh:

Tuesday 7am-5pm
Wednesday 7am-7pm
Thursday 7am-7pm
Friday 7am-9pm
Saturday 9am-Noon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)