Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I have never been to a funeral. I have to attend one for a good friend on Saturday. I'm a sobber and this is a very dear friend. Any thoughts or advice?? Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
CheyanneW
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Good advise. Took my middle daughter to my uncles funeral. She was 2 and yelled eeewwww that stinky! I was so embarrassed.

Quoting sandra_t00:

it depends if the priest will let people talk. It will go on forever if he does.

It should only take about an hr, maybe more. Also, if you don't like the snell of strong insence (sp?) don't sit too close to the altar..

Sorry about your loss

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on May. 15, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Same thing, there will be plenty of sobbing you should be ok, really!  I've been to hundreds of funerals and Italians and Hispanics are the most emotional, for whatever reason.  I lack emotion so in my Italian family I stick out like a sore thumb.  But really you should be ok, even if you cry, bring tissues and wear waterproof makeup.  I know that sounds petty but you don't want to feel like crap AND look like crap too.  Good luck!

Quoting usmc.momma:

They aren't Italian, there Hispanic. I just don't want to embarrass myself or his family by sobbing. Like I said, I've never been to a funeral.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Wear black and like Foo said pee first they go on and on.....if it's an Italian funeral they'll be someone that loses it, LOUDLY....I'm sorry for your loss!

MrsImperfect
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Its long and sad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:56 PM
2 moms liked this
It's generally a long mass and break out the tissues when Ave Maria is sung.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmc.momma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I thought thy was odd... I wouldn't be that disrespectful

Quoting FooLynRoo:

You're telling someone who is mourning the loss of a loved one to pack some goldfish crackers incase she gets hungry during the funeral mass?

Quoting happinessforyou:

Pack a snack- they are lllooonnnggggg....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmc.momma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Greeaaat!! I cry when I hear that song period!!

Quoting owl0210:

It's generally a long mass and break out the tissues when Ave Maria is sung.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM
I'm not Christian or catholic but my family is and I was the only one wearing black (Muslim so we wear long black dress called abaya for attire). It was my dad and I was only one who dropped to the floor sobbing. People were quiet. They went up and spoke a bit about him. If you're concerned about your appearance infront of people then pee before you go but during some parts of the funeral, i didn't stand or kneel cause its not my religion and no one was or should be offended cause I was paying my respects to my father. And at times I'd go to the back of the church during the sermon or a different room, they can't stop you. And this was a catholic funeral I'm not sure if roman catholic.

You don't have to do anything while you're there if you're just there in respect to your friend. Feel better and sorry for your loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmc.momma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Okay good. Thank you.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Same thing, there will be plenty of sobbing you should be ok, really!  I've been to hundreds of funerals and Italians and Hispanics are the most emotional, for whatever reason.  I lack emotion so in my Italian family I stick out like a sore thumb.  But really you should be ok, even if you cry, bring tissues and wear waterproof makeup.  I know that sounds petty but you don't want to feel like crap AND look like crap too.  Good luck!

Quoting usmc.momma:

They aren't Italian, there Hispanic. I just don't want to embarrass myself or his family by sobbing. Like I said, I've never been to a funeral.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Wear black and like Foo said pee first they go on and on.....if it's an Italian funeral they'll be someone that loses it, LOUDLY....I'm sorry for your loss!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lmjess
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Catholic mass requires a lot of standing, sitting, and kneeling. Just watch the 'regulars' and follow them. Also, there is a lot of priest and congregation back and forth dialogue.

And, DO NOT take Communion if you are not Catholic. It's very disrepectful. Communion is a very sacred ritual for Catholics.

Mommy2BeAmy
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Also the funeral lasted 2 hours. The priest read a lot and there was a lot of prayers said. During the service candles were lit, and everyone stood in a line to approach the casket.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)