Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Wow... My pediatrician asked me if my kids have the same father... *Edit - pic added* *2nd pic added*

I took my kids to the doctor today..  my baby boy had his 2 year check up, and my baby girl has had a cough for almost two weeks, so I made them both an appt on the same day.

Their regular doc was out of town, so we saw his partner, who they have never seen before.

My  youngest two are 13 months apart, and my son is pretty big for his age.  He is 37 inches tall and 35lbs and just turned 2 on Saturday. 

My daughter is 10.5 months old, and has always been on the smaller side.  She is 26 inches long, and not quite 17lbs. 

The doctor measured and weighed them both, and then plotted them on the growth charts, and looked at me with a puzzled look on his face, and said "Do both of your children have the same father?  Their growth patterns are almost completely opposite, and that's not usually typical of siblings with the same parents."

When I responded "Yes, they do"...  he seemed even more puzzled, and said "Are you positive?" 

OMG!!!!!!  I almost walked out.... 

There's really no point to this story, I just needed to share.  I'm soooo irritated!!!!!!!!!!

**EDIT**

This is a pic I took of the two little ones today.  They are thirteen months apart.  He turned two on Saturday, and she will be one the beginning of July.  To me, their size difference is not that huge, and she definitely is not unhealthily small...  She's just short.  Nothing about them warrants a "do they have the same father... are you positive?" response from a pediatrician.

*** EDIT 2 ****

Here is a pic of me and their dad for reference...  He is about 6'4" and I'm 5'1" (I'm wearing boots with a heel in this pic).  He is very big, and I'm on the smaller side.  Their regular pediatrician has seen both of us, and has no concerns about either of their growth patterns.  It's pretty obvious that the boys take after him, and our daughter takes after me.  Both of our heights are recorded in all three children's charts, as well as their familial history.  It would have been very easy to flip back a couple pages in the chart and see all that information if he had his doubts. 

by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
Lostinindy
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM
When I was pregnant with my 6 child the OB walked in and said to my DH and I so this is her sixth and your first. Nope it's his sixth too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
river.red
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Omg what an ass! For him to say it in the first place was crazy, but then to keep insisting. Wow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connietrrll
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I think he may have been concerned because of the different growth patterns like someone else said.

MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Not me and my kids are opposites. Ds11 is heavy and burnett. Ds9 is skinny and blond. I wouldnt mind the question...its the 'are you sure?' Wtf do I look like to you some f-ing tramp that I dont even know who my kid's dad is? Nice...real nice...

Quoting coleysmama:

He gave you a legitimate reason for asking. He seemed to be concerned about  something. I wouldn't be offended.Its part of a child's medical history.

It is a question that I've been asked also by doctors for my last child because of different issues he's had.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemy3littles
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:43 PM
2 moms liked this

It wasn't so much the fact that he asked....  it was that after I told him yes, he asked me if I was positive.

Yes, she is small for her age, but she has always been small, and is growing within her curve.  She has always been in the 5-10%.  I'm short, and small.  She takes after me. 

I just found it incredibly rude that he second guess me about my children's paternity, based simply off of my two children's size difference.  Neither is unhealthy, and both are proportionate and growing within their curve.

Quoting coleysmama:

He gave you a legitimate reason for asking. He seemed to be concerned about  something. I wouldn't be offended.Its part of a child's medical history.

It is a question that I've been asked also by doctors for my last child because of different issues he's had.

MB13
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I agree, it is important information for their medical history!  His wording and the questioning of her response was probably not the most professional way to get that information.  I always find these questions awkward, because both of my kids are adopted, so I am always needing to remind the doctors that we have no known medical history for my kids.

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

Quoting Logan_Bellasmom:

this.....you are overreacting totally

Quoting coleysmama:

autum713
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't think so. If he would have asked if the father(s) had medical conditions yes but for him to ask if she was positive makes it seem like he was being a smartass

Quoting coleysmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bird16_J
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Yeah no I would've reported his ass. Had he asked me that bullshit question and continued to ask me I would've looked at him and said fuck you they have the same father I'm reporting your ass! Have a good day dick. I don't play that game. What a complete dick head. I would NEVER see him again.

lovemy3littles
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM
5 moms liked this

I am very well aware of growth milestones, but that isn't what this was about.  My daughter has not deviated from her curve.  She is just small.  Not unhealthy, just small.

All of this information is in their chart, and he had her growth chart right there in front of him.  I'm small...  5'1" and was only 115lbs before babies.  My hubby is 6'4" and 315lbs.  (all of this information ALSO in their chart).  The boys take after him, my daughter takes after me.  A "good" doctor would have check that information before he second guessed my response.  THAT is why I'm irritated.

Quoting coleysmama:

There are different conditions to look for if not hitting certain marks on height and weight, especially compared to siblings with the same parents. It's genetics.

He could have reacted that way because something is really off.

Instead of being offended I'd be happy that I have a dr that's actually paying attention to detail and  thinking outside the box a bit.

Quoting MyLittlePwny:

I don't see where a child falls on a little chart is medically necessary to pry and then second guess the mother.  That's just rude.  If there's nothing medically wrong, then he was being a rude asshole.

Quoting coleysmama:

LucyHarper
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Well, it's a medically relevant question, not all kids do and he wanted to be sure to explain their growth patterns.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)