Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Wow... My pediatrician asked me if my kids have the same father... *Edit - pic added* *2nd pic added*

I took my kids to the doctor today..  my baby boy had his 2 year check up, and my baby girl has had a cough for almost two weeks, so I made them both an appt on the same day.

Their regular doc was out of town, so we saw his partner, who they have never seen before.

My  youngest two are 13 months apart, and my son is pretty big for his age.  He is 37 inches tall and 35lbs and just turned 2 on Saturday. 

My daughter is 10.5 months old, and has always been on the smaller side.  She is 26 inches long, and not quite 17lbs. 

The doctor measured and weighed them both, and then plotted them on the growth charts, and looked at me with a puzzled look on his face, and said "Do both of your children have the same father?  Their growth patterns are almost completely opposite, and that's not usually typical of siblings with the same parents."

When I responded "Yes, they do"...  he seemed even more puzzled, and said "Are you positive?" 

OMG!!!!!!  I almost walked out.... 

There's really no point to this story, I just needed to share.  I'm soooo irritated!!!!!!!!!!

**EDIT**

This is a pic I took of the two little ones today.  They are thirteen months apart.  He turned two on Saturday, and she will be one the beginning of July.  To me, their size difference is not that huge, and she definitely is not unhealthily small...  She's just short.  Nothing about them warrants a "do they have the same father... are you positive?" response from a pediatrician.

*** EDIT 2 ****

Here is a pic of me and their dad for reference...  He is about 6'4" and I'm 5'1" (I'm wearing boots with a heel in this pic).  He is very big, and I'm on the smaller side.  Their regular pediatrician has seen both of us, and has no concerns about either of their growth patterns.  It's pretty obvious that the boys take after him, and our daughter takes after me.  Both of our heights are recorded in all three children's charts, as well as their familial history.  It would have been very easy to flip back a couple pages in the chart and see all that information if he had his doubts. 

by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Replies (41-50):
inmybizz
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I totally agree..

Quoting MicheleJM:

He could have asked differently...like just said I ask because the growth patterns are so different, there might be genetic factors, blah blah. I swear some docs have all the bedside manners of a chimp.

Quoting inmybizz:

I can understanding asking the question, but the "are you positive" takes the cake..LOL!!

Katenemsmom
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Eh, it was an honest question and multiple fathers is not unheard of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QJsmommy
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM
I'd be pissed and offended that he would even make a statement like that!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Sparkle
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM
:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on May. 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM

My two are complete opposite too..lol. I've never been questioned though. 

beaularson91
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM
I would have snapped at him
TrouserMouse
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't have been offended.  They use bother parents to determine if a child's growth is typical. If two children have the same parents and one has an accelerated growth pattern and one is the complete opposite, they may be concerned there is another contributing factor.  So, it was important to know if they do have the same parents to know if they may need to watch for another cause.

lovemy3littles
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:09 PM

LOL..  genetics can be crazy!!  My kids all look very much alike, my boys in particular.  They could have been twins, if they weren't almost 5 years apart!!  My daughter resembles them, but looks more like me than they do.  But then I've seen siblings with the same parents who look NOTHING alike, and I've seen half siblings who look almost identical.   And in your case, siblings who aren't even biologically related!!  :-)

My nephew is HUGE!!  He's not quite one, and he weighs almost as much as my 2 year old.  When people see my youngest two, and my nephew, they assume that the boys are the same age, and my daughter is the baby, when in fact my nephew is only 5 weeks older than my daughter. 

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

My 5 month old weighs more than 17 lbs... LOL he's a chunk.

My almost 3 year old was the same height and weight as your DS on his 2yo check up.

I honestly thing kids are just getting bigger these days. DS is suppose to be in the 99 percentile, but yet every mom I know (except for a handful whose kids are on the opposite end)  says the same thing!!!!

That being said... my 5 month old and my 3 year old have different moms and different dads - they are not genetically related at all - I get told on a daily basis how much they look alike. And they really do.

coleysmama
by Lisa on May. 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Considering that your dd is not even on the chart(CDC H&W chart), height wise, I don't see the big deal. It's relevant. 5'1" is short but not abnormally short.

Quoting lovemy3littles:

I am very well aware of growth milestones, but that isn't what this was about.  My daughter has not deviated from her curve.  She is just small.  Not unhealthy, just small.

All of this information is in their chart, and he had her growth chart right there in front of him.  I'm small...  5'1" and was only 115lbs before babies.  My hubby is 6'4" and 315lbs.  (all of this information ALSO in their chart).  The boys take after him, my daughter takes after me.  A "good" doctor would have check that information before he second guessed my response.  THAT is why I'm irritated.

Quoting coleysmama:

There are different conditions to look for if not hitting certain marks on height and weight, especially compared to siblings with the same parents. It's genetics.

He could have reacted that way because something is really off.

Instead of being offended I'd be happy that I have a dr that's actually paying attention to detail and  thinking outside the box a bit.

Quoting MyLittlePwny:

I don't see where a child falls on a little chart is medically necessary to pry and then second guess the mother.  That's just rude.  If there's nothing medically wrong, then he was being a rude asshole.

Quoting coleysmama:

He gave you a legitimate reason for asking. He seemed to be concerned about  something. I wouldn't be offended.Its part of a child's medical history.

It is a question that I've been asked also by doctors for my last child because of different issues he's had.

alreadydidthis
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM
The orginal question was fine. But the are you sure comment would have gotten him cussed out.!

Quoting coleysmama:

He gave you a legitimate reason for asking. He seemed to be concerned about  something. I wouldn't be offended.Its part of a child's medical history.

It is a question that I've been asked also by doctors for my last child because of different issues he's had.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN