Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What happens when you dispute a debt with a debt collector?

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM
  • 19 Replies

I was just called on my cell about a bill I supposedly owe from 2008. (yeah, 4 fucking years ago!) I have not recieved any letters or other calls about this bill. I got quite the run around on the phone trying to figure shit out. The collector says it was from a hospital, one that I had never been to. So I call that hospital. The hospital says to call another number that handles their billing. Those people say I owe this, that and another from various dates. All of which I believe i have paid. (copayments) (I have to go through my bank statements to verify tho) They also say a date but the amts are not matching what the collector say I owe. So I call collector back, get shit because I wouldnt give my social. Hang up. I call back to get another person and this time the collector tells me the date in question, which matches one the hospital says but their amt is different. hospital says 48 dollars, collector is saying 90. I asked where an extra 50 bucks is coming from. hang up (they hung up on me!!!) So I call back, go through it all again and I am told once I get it right with the original creditor to call them back.W..T........F???????

What the hell do I do now?

by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Diddles.
by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Talk directly with the billing for the hospital. See how far they can go with you and pay directly with the hospital if you truly missed the payment. If a collector was calling me and talking crap to me and hung up on me I would ask for a manager the next time and tell them I am handling the payment with the hospital and they need to lose my number.

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on May. 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

the 50 could be penalties. do you owe the 48?

Greenstone920
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM
You ask for a copy of everything in writing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Penalities is all I can think of....  I would call the hospital and see if you can pay them directly.  More than likely not because they have turned it over to collections.  However... if they can't i'd ask to speak with a supervisor on the collections end.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Quoting notjstasocermom:

the 50 could be penalties. do you owe the 48?

The date and place match up but I always pay my co pay. Only thing I can think of is its a separate bill from a dr or lab but I swear I think I paid. I am gonna go through all my bank records tomorrow. This shit gave me a headache! I also cant understand why I havent gotten a letter or other calls. My numbers or address havent changed in 8 yrs!!!!!!

momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Quoting Greenstone920:

You ask for a copy of everything in writing.

yes, I will be asking for another bill, from all of them! LOL I failed to get an acct number from the collector, which I am kicking my own ass right now over!

LntLckrsCmQut
by on May. 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I'm confused. You stated that this bill was from a hospital you never went to, but then you state that you believed you paid it off. If you have never been to that hospital, why did you say that you paid the bill off?

The collector says it was from a hospital, one that I had never been to. So I call that hospital. The hospital says to call another number that handles their billing. Those people say I owe this, that and another from various dates. All of which I believe i have paid. (copayments) (I have to go through my bank statements to verify tho)

gramattmom
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM

To me it sounds fishy if the collections place hangs up on you!! I would  probly see about paying the hospital directly,   also would ask for something in writing from the collections  place its also  good that you are going to go thru you're statements, if you find where you had paid, then send them a copy...

momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

I'm confused. You stated that this bill was from a hospital you never went to, but then you state that you believed you paid it off. If you have never been to that hospital, why did you say that you paid the bill off?

The collector says it was from a hospital, one that I had never been to. So I call that hospital. The hospital says to call another number that handles their billing. Those people say I owe this, that and another from various dates. All of which I believe i have paid. (copayments) (I have to go through my bank statements to verify tho)

Prior to me calling the hospital in question, I was only talking to the collector. The collector kept calling the hospital by name and I kept telling them I had never been there! LOL

After calling that hospital, I found out that they handle all the hospitals around here. (it was the billing part of it) So it is for a hospital I wnet to but not the one the collector named.

mommyoftwo103
by on May. 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM

So wait, did you go to the hospital or not? lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)