Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Kidnapped Guatamala child forced to stay in USA with adopted parents.

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM
  • 244 Replies

A Liberty couple will get to keep their adopted daughter after years of controversy when her biological mother said she had been abducted.

Timothy and Jennifer Monahan have been raising their daughter, Karen Abigail Monahan Vanhorn, 6, for almost four years.

On Monday, the United States government announced that it would not try to send the girl back to her native Guatemala, a move doctors said would have been detrimental to her.

"The child herself needs to be a part of the decision," said Dr. Linda Joslyn Bishop. "I can't imagine any of us wanting to go through an experience like this, especially at her age."

Nine people, including a Guatemalan judge, have been charged with kidnapping and fraud in connection with the events that led to the girl leaving the country. Guatemala's Quick Adoptions was once the top source of adoptive children for the United States, accounting for close to 4,000 adoptions per year.

Bishop said it's a difficult decision even in situations where there isn't a cultural difference.

"The negative effects about just hearing about this transition would make any child, adult, teenager anxious and very sad," she said.

She said it would leave the girl in a state of bereavement.

The Hague Abduction Convention treaty now protects those parents across international waters. But since the treaty had not been signed at the time of the adoption, Karen can stay.

"It's important get it right," Bishop said.

The family's international attorney in Washington said that the child's well-being and safety should be paramount.

A local attorney for the Monahans said they don't plan to make any public statements any time soon.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/31069238/detail.html
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on May. 15, 2012 at 11:19 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree. I don't think her bio mom would have been able to give her the life she has been living the past four years. That is a long time, a drastic move like that would be detrimental to her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:21 PM
13 moms liked this

Quoting sandra_t00:

I agree. I don't think her bio mom would have been able to give her the life she has been living the past four years. That is a long time, a drastic move like that would be detrimental to her

She has only lived here 4 years. Her mom has been fighting for her daughter back for 3 years. They knowingly kept this child away from her mom for 3 years. Knowing she was kidnapped, and that many people were being charged for the kidnapping. How is that what's best for the child? To be taken away from her mom. Those are some pretty malicious people to do that.

MultiPara
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Poor bio mom :(.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:23 PM
5 moms liked this

I know. :(  Can you imagine finding out a year later where your child is, and trying to get her back for 3 years for courts in another country to decide you aren't what is best for your own child because there are 2 rich doctors that can pay for her? That is exactly what its really about, money.

Quoting MultiPara:

MultiPara
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:24 PM
I agree

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Quoting sandra_t00:

She has only lived here 4 years. Her mom has been fighting for her daughter back for 3 years. They knowingly kept this child away from her mom for 3 years. Knowing she was kidnapped, and that many people were being charged for the kidnapping. How is that what's best for the child? To be taken away from her mom. Those are some pretty malicious people to do that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MultiPara
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:24 PM
It's sick

Quoting Mama2ETA:

I know. :(  Can you imagine finding out a year later where your child is, and trying to get her back for 3 years for courts in another country to decide you aren't what is best for your own child because there are 2 rich doctors that can pay for her? That is exactly what its really about, money.

Quoting MultiPara:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billysmommy
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Poor families ... I'm thankful I'm not the one to decide there :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GomezMami2908
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Damn. I wish the adoptive parents and the bio mom could come to a happy arrangement. There is no win in this scenario. I can see how the child staying here is better though, plus it's the life she has gotten used to. 

This is sad all around though. 

hautemama83
by Nichole on May. 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM
2 moms liked this
What a mess. Its very sad, and there are no winners. With that said the child should've been sent back immediately. Now its at a point where sending her back can be detrimental. I hope the adoptive parents make arraignments of sorts with the child's bm though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emandab
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM
22 moms liked this

So what? Someone can steal my child and just because they live in a nicer home and she's been there for a few years, they get to keep her?  How is that right?  I feel so bad for that mother and her child.  I hope she never gives up fighting for her child, because this isn't right.  If the judge thinks Guatemala is so bad, give her citizenship. let her come live here and have her child.  Let the adoptive parents have visitation.  There has to be a better compromise then this, frankly I don't see how it's legal, but what do I know.  I'm just a parent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN