Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I can't believe that just happened

Posted by   + Show Post
Seriously, I am so upset. My parents had dd (4) overnight. They called this morning to say they were going a few towns away with her to shop. I said that would be fine just as long as she didn't ride in thier expired Cosco harness seat. They have a new seat too. Mom said ' what we have in the car is fine' I said not if it's the expired one. And I told her I'd me more than happy to install the new one becuase I know she hates it. She said 'that's too hard, what we have is fine'. I said I prefer you not take dd shopping then. She got mad and handed the phone to dad. Then he started saying that ' we've driven for years with kids and nothings ever happened' and then he started talking about when he was a kid and how car seat laws are written by stupid people in Washington that kill people and yadda yadda... Well it wasnt exactly that but he rants. I said ' I don't want her riding in an expired seat.' and he said ' we are going in 2 hours and the seat is fine, we aren't changing it and she will be fine'. I wa furious and said they were not going anywhere with her and I went and got her.
My mom had that high and mighty hurt look when I saw her and I said ' look, I understand you think the whole car seat thing is dumb. I understand you don't want to do it because it's hard and you absolutely believe you are right and I am wrong. I don't care. I don't care and you can laugh tonight about what an idiot I am, it makes no difference to me. But you will respect my parental authority and you will put her in an appropriate non expired seat or she will not ride with you anywhere. I cannot believe you were just going to take her in the car after I said no!'. Mom said sorry for that part but then said ' but you are wrong about those seats, they are tricking you, it's wrong!' I guess 'they' is the lawmakers and manufacturers. She said they would throw away the seat. I'm still just so furious. I don't trust them now! I love my parents and they've always made very good parenting decisions. This is just about the one thing they do that is just beyond me! I don't know how to make them see. Every bit of info I give them is shot down as car seat manufacturer conspiracy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Replies (191-194):
lulumomof2
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:56 PM

had NO idea car seats could expire. I knew you should replace them if they were in an accident. Crap, my younger son used his (older) brother's car seats until he no longer needed to use a car seat.

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

January1964
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:59 PM

How expired is the expired seat (how many years past the expiry date)?

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on May. 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Well thank you, I'll take your slap on the hand and continue on my merry path of rudeness and condescension :)

Quoting jewel776:

Dzyre1115,

This is unnecessarily rude not to mention the fact that you are wrong. There is no need to treat her this way.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I think you were ridiculous....car seat expirations are for dummy's that really believe plastic can, "expire"!  If it can't decompose in a landfill, it can't expire.  Congratulations you've fallen victim to a scam to make you spend your money needlessly and to help add to the global trash problem. 

sakpoints
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Quoting hautemama83:

Why don't seat belts in all cars expire then? I mean if a carseat is left constantly in a car, would it not endure the same conditions as everything else in the car?

Quoting phdesertbunny:

If its been baked in the sun or cold for too long it will crumble during an accident and the straps will get dry rotted. Wth is wrong with people???

The Seatbelts are bolted to the frame of the car.  The car seat straps runs through the plastic which could get brittle and crack.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN