Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Best way to quit smoking.....

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM
  • 28 Replies

I have quit a thousand times, but always end up starting up again.  I've tried patches, they dont seem to work, and i've read horror stories about Chantix.  I have had anxiety/depression issues in the past, so I dont think Chantix is right for me.  Cold turkey is HARD, and everytime i quit,  I get REALLY emotional and angry.  Is there any way to help me quit smoking? If you have, how did you do it?

by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StoneColdKiller
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 3:39 PM
I'm not a smoker, but one thing I've noticed is smoker use this as down time and relaxing, so in order to quit successfully you need to replace smoking with something equally enjoying and relaxing.

My husband is a smoker and we have yet to find what to replace it with. He has done it all as well chantix worked but only for like 8 months then he went back to smoking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StoneColdKiller
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Want to add my mother quit after over 40 years of smoking by using the patch longer then you should and she used it her own way lol. And she not gardens more so when she wants a break she goes out and doesn't some gardening throughout the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
00jess
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Try to keep your hands busy. Keep hard candy handy. This is what my dad did.

I on the other hand have tried dozens of times and have failed.
Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zadesmom1998
by Breezy on May. 16, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Bump I'm a smoker and tried everything. Would love to quit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2KoolMama
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:44 PM

DH quit using Chantix.  He's been on it for 3 months now and has had no side effects.  Not even the weird dreams. 

I quit cold turkey at the same time he did.  The only thing I used was nicotine gum for the first week.  I bought one pack and when it was gone I was done.  It took the edge off enough to get me thru.  It's really mind over matter.  Good luck!  

MeghanPerez
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM
I've only tried cold turkey and the only times I made it longer than a day was when I was pregnant both times.

I'm quitting when we move soon, but I don't know what I'm going to use. My Dr put me on Wellbutrin to help me quit, but because I wasn't depressed when she put me on it, I became extremely depressed and I quit taking it. Good luck, momma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HIJKLM
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM
I thought you were gonna tell me, bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Doodle
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Rationing helped me. I'd get an empty pack and fill it with a certain number of cigs for a certain amount of time (a whole day...or how much I will smoke at work). When they were empty, that was it. I also would not keep any money on me so that if I really wanted one, I didn't have the money to get them anyways.

amyrw
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Have you tried the electronic cigarettes?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angie944
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I havent tried the electronic cigarettes... I might give that a shot.  The gums are gross to me, and patches burn and itch.  I'm just ready to start being healthy, i want my skin and hair to look pretty.  I just get soo angry and emotional when i stop smoking, i feel soo bad for my husband because i sort of take it out on him ... =/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN